An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Important Is The Religious Habit ?

LightofMary

There are different opinions about habits. Some consider it a barrier to relating with people, some consider it important for witness value and some consider it as a sign of orthodoxy? What is your opinion?

There are a bunch of threads about this in the Debate Table and Vocation Station. Do a search, and you'll come up with tons of info. :) It's one of those things that we've really gone around and around (and around again!) about here. Pax!

cmotherofpirl

There are probably 100 pages of threads discussing habits. Please use the search engine or reply to one of the older threads . thanks. :)

There was a recent thread about this when sisters from other convents wanted to be on Oprah because the Dominican Sisters of Mary were. My response is post #83 and the one before that is a great post.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=102929&st=80

I tend to think that it is according to one's particular vocation and call and at the heart is motivation. Some feel called to religious life and the religious habit, some feel called to religious life without the habit. These things could be at the heart of a personal and particular call and vocation. And as other posters have pointed out this has been well discussed elsewhere and with some excellent posts and viewpoints and my own viewpoint is why cannot religious in habit and without it live and unfold side by side with each fully appreciating the other.
Having said that, a vocation is an unfolding matter and doubtless those who first enter into religious life still have a long road ahead, which is making no particular point except that the call to religious life and to actually enter is only the very early stage of what will probably be a long journey.
How important is the religious habit - that entirely depends I think on the personal and particular call and vocation. If I, for example, were to enter religious life I think I would be looking for an Order where the religious habit was written into the Constitution.

Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

cmotherofpirl

A religious vocation is a radical call from God to live a life dedicated to Him, and unless you are called to be a hermit, be a witness in the world. You cannot be a witness if your light is hidden under a bushel and look like everyone else.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='26 February 2010 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1267232448' post='2063435']
A religious vocation is a radical call from God to live a life dedicated to Him, and unless you are called to be a hermit, be a witness in the world. You cannot be a witness if your light is hidden under a bushel and look like everyone else.
[/quote]

"Amen!" a thousand times over!! :yes:

My Carmelite habit is special to me not only because of it being "Mary's habit" but also because the documents of the Church encourage it. I respect non-habited religious because there are many factors at play for a Community to decide to forgo it. The answer is not always that simple.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='LightofMary' date='26 February 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1267233260' post='2063445']
My Carmelite habit is special to me not only because of it being "Mary's habit" but also because the documents of the Church encourage it. I respect non-habited religious because there are many factors at play for a Community to decide to forgo it. The answer is not always that simple.
[/quote]
I agree its not simple, a radical conversaion to Christ is never simple. There are probably circumstances not to wear a habit - say if you are working in a prison system etc, but they seem to be few and far between, and should be an exception not the rule. You can't be a witness if you are invisible, and pretending a tiny hidden pin is equivalent to some sort of habit [unless you are counting the pantsuit as a habit] is ridiculous.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='27 February 2010 - 12:36 PM' timestamp='1267234596' post='2063456']
I agree its not simple, a radical conversaion to Christ is never simple. There are probably circumstances not to wear a habit - say if you are working in a prison system etc, but they seem to be few and far between, and should be an exception not the rule. You can't be a witness if you are invisible, and pretending a tiny hidden pin is equivalent to some sort of habit [unless you are counting the pantsuit as a habit] is ridiculous.
[/quote]

Just keep saying it cmotherofpirl - it needs to be heard. +1

I think this is a great question. As a sister who wears a habit, I think that it definitely is important and necessary. You are correct in saying that in some ministries there are reasons sisters would not be able to wear a habit. Some of the sisters in my community have come across this problem in prison ministry, which is not our main apostolate but a few of our sisters have been asked to provide for this need. They are not allowed in with their crucifix or a veil because they could be strangled with either of them by an inmate (I am not saying that all inmates are dangerous, its just the protocol that these prisons follow for safety). They have to abide by those rules in order to minister to those poor. It is very difficult for them but they had to make a decision and they did and many of them have expressed that it was a sacrifice for them. I really respect them for their willingness to sacrifice for God's poor in this way. However, I don't think that I would be able to do the same.

The habit is important to me because it is a sign of my consecration and a witness to God's love in the world. I wouldn't personally call it my wedding dress as some have. I would call my ring a wedding ring. I do think of myself as a spouse of Christ and I know that my habit, which is blessed, is a sacramental which tells others and myself an important truth of faith. That we are in a covenant relationship with God which will be fulfilled in Heaven alone. I never have felt that it is a barrier between myself and other people. In fact, people come and talk to me at the strangest and sometimes, most inconvenient, times because they know just by looking at me that I will do my best to love them with the love of Jesus and help them. They ask me to pray for them, to help them, and to simply be with them. If I didn't have a habit on, all of those people might continue in their everyday lives with their hearts burdened without the knowledge that someone carries their burdens in prayer and works.

I am all for building bridges and trying to understand where others are coming from and that is why I don't judge communities or individual religious for choosing not to wear a habit. However, I do think that it is necessary in the spirit of truth and charity to remember that the documents of the Church call religious to wear distinctive religious garb, poor and becoming, simple and modest... not non-existent. I also know how it feels to be judged by my habit alone and I know that it is painful. I wear a modified habit with veil but I read sometimes about the strong feelings of Catholics about their disappointment in the "modern" habits. I can understand in situations where religious are cloistered that someone may say that they are disappointed in the modified habit but in my ministry I really cannot imagine wearing what our sisters used to wear. As beautiful as it was, I don't think it was simple, becoming, or hygienic, which are the guidelines religious were given regarding habits.

This post is not for causing debate, but to share honest reflections on my own experience of the habit. I love my habit, and I love seeing other religious in their habits. I am also grateful for the individual religious who belong to communities that have stopped wearing a habit but who are faithfully trying to live their religious lives. Please pray for me as I continue to grow in my religious life and for all religious that we may be faithful and true to who we are and whose we are.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='26 February 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1267237938' post='2063477']

I never have felt that it is a barrier between myself and other people. In fact, people come and talk to me at the strangest and sometimes, most inconvenient, times because they know just by looking at me that I will do my best to love them with the love of Jesus and help them. They ask me to pray for them, to help them, and to simply be with them. If I didn't have a habit on, all of those people might continue in their everyday lives with their hearts burdened without the knowledge that someone carries their burdens in prayer and works.

[/quote]

Beautiful!

As least from my personal experience as a fully habitted Sister, I found this [i]so[/i] spot on. :thumbsup: I always found it so.. amazing, really, that random people would just come up to me and ask for prayers. They'd pour out their hearts for exactly the same reasons you've mentioned. To say the least, I found those experiences to be so humbling and beautiful all at once. They came to you because they saw you as an instrument of God's mercy and love... it just floors me to even think about it. God is so very good.

And now being on the discerning side once again, I can say I, too, am more likely to approach a habitted Sister for the same reasons you mentioned. :blush:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='26 February 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1267237938' post='2063477']
I think this is a great question. As a sister who wears a habit, I think that it definitely is important and necessary. You are correct in saying that in some ministries there are reasons sisters would not be able to wear a habit. Some of the sisters in my community have come across this problem in prison ministry, which is not our main apostolate but a few of our sisters have been asked to provide for this need. They are not allowed in with their crucifix or a veil because they could be strangled with either of them by an inmate (I am not saying that all inmates are dangerous, its just the protocol that these prisons follow for safety). They have to abide by those rules in order to minister to those poor. It is very difficult for them but they had to make a decision and they did and many of them have expressed that it was a sacrifice for them. I really respect them for their willingness to sacrifice for God's poor in this way. However, I don't think that I would be able to do the same.

The habit is important to me because it is a sign of my consecration and a witness to God's love in the world. I wouldn't personally call it my wedding dress as some have. I would call my ring a wedding ring. I do think of myself as a spouse of Christ and I know that my habit, which is blessed, is a sacramental which tells others and myself an important truth of faith. That we are in a covenant relationship with God which will be fulfilled in Heaven alone. I never have felt that it is a barrier between myself and other people. In fact, people come and talk to me at the strangest and sometimes, most inconvenient, times because they know just by looking at me that I will do my best to love them with the love of Jesus and help them. They ask me to pray for them, to help them, and to simply be with them. If I didn't have a habit on, all of those people might continue in their everyday lives with their hearts burdened without the knowledge that someone carries their burdens in prayer and works.

I am all for building bridges and trying to understand where others are coming from and that is why I don't judge communities or individual religious for choosing not to wear a habit. However, I do think that it is necessary in the spirit of truth and charity to remember that the documents of the Church call religious to wear distinctive religious garb, poor and becoming, simple and modest... not non-existent. I also know how it feels to be judged by my habit alone and I know that it is painful. I wear a modified habit with veil but I read sometimes about the strong feelings of Catholics about their disappointment in the "modern" habits. I can understand in situations where religious are cloistered that someone may say that they are disappointed in the modified habit but in my ministry I really cannot imagine wearing what our sisters used to wear. As beautiful as it was, I don't think it was simple, becoming, or hygienic, which are the guidelines religious were given regarding habits.

This post is not for causing debate, but to share honest reflections on my own experience of the habit. I love my habit, and I love seeing other religious in their habits. I am also grateful for the individual religious who belong to communities that have stopped wearing a habit but who are faithfully trying to live their religious lives. Please pray for me as I continue to grow in my religious life and for all religious that we may be faithful and true to who we are and whose we are.
[/quote]
Amen Sister :)

[quote name='Sister Marie' date='27 February 2010 - 01:02 PM' timestamp='1267237938' post='2063477']

[/quote]

Good post in many ways I thought. Sister, it seems that some of your fellow Sisters have for reasons of their ministry sacrificed the habit or part of it. Is it only the cross and veil for those in prison ministries for example and do they still wear a habit of some form into the prisons, though without cross and veil? Another question is that if these Sisters have sacrificed the habit for secular clothing for prison ministry for example, do they wear the habit at other times? That is, they have both secular clothing and a religious habit available.

[quote]I love my habit, and I love seeing other religious in their habits. I am also grateful for the individual religious who belong to communities that have stopped wearing a habit but who are faithfully trying to live their religious lives.[/quote]

Excellent point of view. I have wondered at times if some religious in secular clothing deeply feel the loss of the habit, but have adopted secular clothing out of Obedience and because this is the decision of the leadership of their particular Congregation. And I dont mean with a rebellious attitude, but striving to be in outward observance and in the heart obedient, which is the ideal of religious obedience - and though it brings them personal suffering.

Will keep you and all religious in prayer as asked, Sister.

Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese