An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Design A Habit...

Tridenteen

Frankly, I have no idea. I thought perhaps that was what they were talking about. Will have to email for clarification.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1339883182' post='2445388']
I think these are what she's talking about:

[img]http://www.costumeholidayhouse.com/Costume/Accessories/15-030-91w.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Wow-those are lookers! :hehe2:

JK-those would be a penance though.

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Another one that is serious/trivial and fun.......

I've been thinking lots about cream/brown/Marial blue in combination, just can't decide what will be blue and what cream.

AccountDeleted

If I could design a habit it would be  '... simple and modest, poor and at the same becoming. In addition it must meet the requirements of health and be suited to the circumstances of time and place and to the needs of the ministry involved.'   PERFECTAE CARITATIS 17  :)

What a fun topic! Ok here is mine:

White floor length tunic
Light blue scapular
Light blue veil (probably the same length as the Nashville doms)
A little sewn-on insignia of the sacred heart of Jesus on the upper left side of the scapular
Franciscan-looking sandals
A ring for the perpetually professed

Black shirt, black pantaloons, black tie, black shoes. Men In Black. Or Modern Iteration Benedictines.

Only problem with the MIB suit is that people mistake the guys for Mormon Missionaries.  The Discalced Carmelite Friars in the Western Province had their postulants wear this until they got tired of all the cracks about the Mormon Missionaries.  They switched to blue shirts.....

Like postulants everywhere, they LONG for that Holy Habit... for more reasons than one....

Clothing+2+web.jpg

They still look like Mormon Missionaries...

Group+at+Mission.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552213921494008&set=pb.222352604480143.-2207520000.1379011262.&type=3&theater

This would be my ideal habit :) :love: except I would have the collar and tunic either blue or black for the selfish reason that I always spill on white. Also I would love if there was a mantle as part of the habit :)

My current idea, should I ever form a religious community, would be to create a charism that reflects Divine Mercy.  Everyone knows that the colors for Divine Mercy are red for blood and blue for the water so I would create a habit that had a blood red tunic (similar to this) and a blue scapular.  On the left side of the scapular, over the heart, I would have an embroidered Sacred Heart of Jesus.  I've always liked the veils of the Sisters of Life and, instead of the navy blue band for the professed, I'd make it blood red to match the tunic.  Each Sister would have a medal of the Divine Mercy around their necks.  They would wear either black tights or knee socks, depending on the Sister's preference, with black sandals.  They would also wear a black belt (like the Sisters of Life) with a long 20 decade rosary on the left side.

Postulants would wear a white button up l/s shirt with a blood red jumper made out of the same material as the Sisters' tunics.  They would have a short chapel cape in blue (like the Sisters' scapulars) and a short white kerchief veil.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

White tunic, ankle length.
Black cape and scapular worn over rope belt with four knots (poverty, chastity, obedience, hospitality). :)
Marian insignia sewn onto left of cape (like the Sisters of the Immaculata, but smaller and white).
Waist-length veil (white for novices and temporary professed, black for solemnly professed).
Silver cross (without corpus).
Sandals, likely brown.

Oxblood red would be a great color Mater! Belt or cord regardless would be worn UNDER scapular... reason being, every time I would raise my arms...I would be fighting the scapular in staying in place and not raising up and puckering around the waist Pull pull tug tug smooth smooth. Lol. Also I am a big fan of complete hair modesty. Therefor, a veil with complete coverage! Rectangular headgear like Mother A's! The minute I saw her's, I was drawn to it immediately!

Have to disagree about the rectangular effect - too much starch, too much effort, not enough poverty for me, but I recognise this is our personal choice.

I too would have 'total hair modesty' so an all enveloping veil, maybe on an old style guimpe, so the neck is covered too. Has to be a waist length veil, in spite of the extra fabric!

Am still thinking about the colour scheme, but a scapular, yes, and cord (I recently learned how to make them!) Maybe the cord would be blue, so we were girded round with the protection of the Holy Mother..............and a full Rosary, possibly Franciscan.

Ya know... I'm not quite sure how much goes into making a rectangular veil! I know I don't want to just plop something down on my head and fight it all day to stay on or in place etc. (I don't care for veil's that sit on only half of the head that look like a strong wind could blow it off) I like long as well!!