An Old School Catholic Message Board

Metal And Hardcore (Secular And Christian)

eustace scrubb

eustace scrubb

i kind of grew up on "spirit-filled hardcore" on tooth and nail records back in the late 90's. my avatar is of one of my favorite bands in that "movement" (which, thankfully, in on its second wave right now...). i like a lot of non-Christian hardcore, but rarely relate to the lyrics. and of course, as someone who is straight edge (any discussion on that should go on in another thread... there's never been intelligent discussion of that on the internet...), that can be rather frustrating. newer Christian hardcore punk bands like Dry Rot and Sidetracked are good, too. of course, Black Flag (i really only like their stuff with Kurt Morris and Dez, with the except of "My War" and "Damaged"...), Minor Threat, and Bad Brains are great, but more recent bands like Modern Life is War, Have Heart (RIP), Ruiner, On (ex-Champion), Righteous Jams, The First Step (RIP), etc are all great, too. i'm also a big fan of Coalesce, Integrity, Botch, Ringworm, Zao, Redeem, Overcome, Premonitions of War, Mouthpiece, Merauder, Judge, Full Blown Chaos, Reign Supreme, Terror, Cro-Mags, Blindside, Seven Angels Seven Plagues, Chain of Strength, Death Threat, Earth Crisis, Focused, Sleeping Giant, Undying, Strongarm, Strife, Ten Yard Fight, Stay Gold, The Spirit That Guides Us, With Honor, xLooking Forwardx, Sleeping Giant, For Today, Selfmindead, Madball, Darkest Hour, and several crust, thrashcore, and traditional hardcore bands.

metal bands that i listen to range from Black Sabbath, who coined the term (and are essentially the most successful Catholic rock band in history... look up the lyrics to "After Forever." their first three albums show their faith (before they got into cocaine, amongst other things...)) to grindcore to Christian black metal (sometimes called "unblack" or "white" metal... like Extol (RIP), Antestor (just reunited!!!), Crimson Moonlight, Light Shall Prevail (RIP), Evroklidon (RIP), Kekal, Slechtvalk, Vaakevandring (RIP?), etc...) to Trouble (a Catholic metal band that has been very successful in the underground) to thrash (Believer (JUST REUNITED!!!!), Tourniquet (RIP?)), power (Blind Guardian), nwobhm (Iron Maiden... one or two of them are Protestants and songs like "Sign of the Cross" and "Hallowed be thy Name" are very powerful...), and heavy metal (Skid Row (RIP)). i'm going to tread lightly here with metal, of course, as a lot of it is a reaction against Christianity (particularly black metal).

anyhow, who else is into this stuff? i'd like to get some discussion going on the subject, as long as that's okay with the moderators...

hehe awesome.
id like to refer you to this thread of mine
http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=100829&st=0&p=2011445&fromsearch=1&#entry2011445

:)
a somewhat complete listing of good bands.

mmm trouble is a great band, though i dunno about catholic. i had heard christian themed.

anyways, LOOOOOOVE metal of all varieties, the heavier the better generally. technical and death mostly, some black metal. i have nothing against christian metal in theory, though inpractise it normally fails terribly. some key exceptions are listed in that thread:)

eustace scrubb

from what i understand, Trouble was only Catholic while Eric Wagner was in the band and only for three albums, at that (Skull, Psalm 23, Run to the Light). thanks for the link!!!

ThePenciledOne

I listen to a lot of Christian Metalcore and some hardcore as well.

Blindside, Destroy the Runner, Blessthefall and August Burns Red is in there.

A band called We Came as Romans don't "call" themselves Christian, but their message is overall Christian. Some of the best Metalcore and Hardcore bands are Christians I have to say.

I love this genre. :)

(P.s.) A couple years ago I used to love Power Metal and still listen to it occasionally, and some of those bands included Blind Guardian, Dragonforce, and Battlelore (heavier, but they sing about LOTR:D)

eustace scrubb

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 March 2010 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1267980795' post='2068039']
What variety of straight edge do you consider yourself?
[/quote]

i'm not vegan, but i take the sexual abstinence part [i]very[/i] seriously. finding local sXers who were as serious about it as me is why i finally became comfortable with claiming it. anyhow, i don't drink, smoke, or use drugs, and i avoid caffeine (the latter is mostly for health reasons, though...). i see nothing wrong with the use of OTC medications and pharmaceuticals as long as they're not being abused. btw i just woke up and didn't get much sleep, so i may be forgetting something.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='07 March 2010 - 12:04 PM' timestamp='1267985078' post='2068065']
i'm not vegan, but i take the sexual abstinence part [i]very[/i] seriously. finding local sXers who were as serious about it as me is why i finally became comfortable with claiming it. anyhow, i don't drink, smoke, or use drugs, and i avoid caffeine (the latter is mostly for health reasons, though...). i see nothing wrong with the use of OTC medications and pharmaceuticals as long as they're not being abused. btw i just woke up and didn't get much sleep, so i may be forgetting something.
[/quote]
Are you the type against drinking underage, or drinking at all?

For me personally, I always kinda liked the concept of the straight edge idea, but when I actually looked at it, I really didn't like anything about it. I got the impression that as a whole it was violently militant on non-essentials, and very prone to dangerous extremism.
That's from the outside looking in, of course.

eustace scrubb

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 March 2010 - 07:02 PM' timestamp='1268002945' post='2068322']
Are you the type against drinking underage, or drinking at all?[/quote]

oh, okay... gotcha.

i have [u]no problem[/u] with other people drinking. what i [i]do[/i] have a problem with is people getting drunk ("Be not drunk on wine, but rather, the Holy Spirit..."). i think Europeans do a better job teaching moderation in regards to drinking (from what i understand, at age 12, a small glass of wine is introduced at a dinner... don't know any other details...) and i wish that it was done that way here. i also think that the drinking age should be 18, but underage drinking only bothers me when it's people under the age of 14 "hitting the bottle"... it's extremely unhealthy at that age.

[quote]For me personally, I always kinda liked the concept of the straight edge idea, but when I actually looked at it, I really didn't like anything about it. I got the impression that as a whole it was violently militant on non-essentials, and very prone to dangerous extremism.
That's from the outside looking in, of course.
[/quote]

it started out peacefully, in Washington, DC, but once it reached Boston, it turned into something with a gang mentality. then New York City made it even worse, with more extreme gang violence and a number of people becoming Hare Krishnas, starting a movement called "krishna-core" and some people starting a movement called "hardline" that had "Abrahamic roots". it was really weird, but thankfully, that died out for the most part (praise the Lord...). right now, Dayton and Cincinnati, OH and Detroit, MI are the epicenters of sXe violence. this is due to "crews", which essentially function as a [i]kind[/i] of gang, but they don't have any economic interests, so their existence is strange.

as far as i know, in DC, it's still peaceful. in most areas OUTSIDE OF THE US, it's rarely violent, militant, or extreme. and it's also more connected to the punk scene and politically-aware.

despite what happened in Boston, a LOT of really good "posi-straight edge" (positive sXe hardcore) bands have been emerging. they're influencing people to start similar bands all over the US and there's a really good label in Seattle called React! Records that exclusively signs positive hardcore bands. they currently have a band called "On", whose music i really enjoy. their singer is or was a substance abuse counselor and the singer for a posi-sXe band called Champion, which is also from Seattle.

btw Protestant Christian sXe bands are mostly from Orange County, CA and the midwest.

Edited by eustace scrubb

Nihil Obstat

Cool, cool. I didn't realize that there was still a strong following going on. I guess it only makes sense, if someone's willing to look for it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='08 March 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1268081926' post='2069034']
actually, posi-sXe hc tends to come in waves. this is the fourth one, i think...?
[/quote]
From what you've seen, how much have the racist portions of Oi and skinhead subculture infiltrated the current group of straight edge?

God the Father

I'm a big fan of the hardcore ethos, but poppunk is my first love so it's kind of a training process for me. I'm devoted straightedge myself, so this thread is pretty exciting!

[quote name='eustace scrubb' date='08 March 2010 - 10:17 AM' timestamp='1268039863' post='2068705']
in most areas OUTSIDE OF THE US, it's rarely violent, militant, or extreme. and it's also more connected to the punk scene and politically-aware.
[/quote]
agree. I'm not sure how much the straight edge scene has caught on here in the UK. It's been around for a decade now (Household records springs to mind) but the philosphy is so at odds with mainstream Brit culture it is more underground I think? Are there any UK bands you like?

I used to be very much into bands like Carcass, Napalm Death, Autopsy, Paradise Lost (early stuff) but have shifted more to unblack metal lately- and I also like hip hop and Uk grime, lol!

eustace scrubb

yeah, from what i hear, being sXe in europe is very difficult...

btw there's a really good unblack metal forum based out of norway or sweden that i post on. it's the nordicfest/endtimes productions one. have you heard of it before? an orthodoxer from sweden runs it (when he's actually doing something remotely related to his label... :rolleyes: ) and there's a good mix of protestants, catholics, and orthodox Christians. with the exception of a cranky old ultraconservative from the USA who listens to AM squawk hate radio and Fauxnews and an arrogant philosophy major in his thirties, it's pretty friendly and chill. they don't allow things to get out of hand, which is nice... and HIGHLY unusual for a metal board... ha ha ha