An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chapel Veil Patterns

zunshynn

I was thinking about asking my grandmother to make a chapel veil for me, but I don't know where to find patterns to give her to work with... has anyone made one, or know where to find them?

I'm looking for one that is long, and rectangular, almost like a shawl, except still lace.

Thanks! and as a side note, what types/sizes do you prefer, and why?

The only one I have now is triangular, about 18" down the middle and 30" wide. I don't know if it's because my hair is so thick or what, but it seems too small now, like it's going to fall off. :lol: The larger, rectangular ones seem to have a more relaxed, secure fit, but I haven't tried one before, that's just based on what they look like to me... is that anyone else's experience, who has tried different kinds?

dominicansoul

I like the little small round ones that sit right on top of the head. The reason being, when I wear a veil that is longer, I'm always fussing with it during Mass. I play the organ, and I need to turn pages, get off the bench to kneel during the Consecration, look at my choir director directing, etc. I've pulled and tugged at my longer veils during all the movement and torn quite a few.
[img]http://www.catholiccompany.com/images/product/9002720.jpg[/img]

CatherineM

I have one on my sewing table right now that I haven't finished yet. Basically a veil in the shape of a beret. I keep getting side tracked by other projects.

melporcristo

JMJT

:yes: a pattern would be awesome. I'm more of a fan of the triangle veils that have curved corners ... if that makes sense ... :detective:

[quote name='melporcristo' date='05 May 2010 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1273105974' post='2105625']
JMJT

:yes: a pattern would be awesome. I'm more of a fan of the triangle veils that have curved corners ... if that makes sense ... :detective:
[/quote]

yeah, that's what mine is like. It seems like it couldn't be that difficult. I mean... you just get a large piece of lace and sew an edge on it... maybe it's hard to find a pattern because a pattern just isn't necessary for that. I don't know.

It's just that they're like forty dollars if you buy them online! That seems absurd to me. I can buy a dress or a whole outfit for that or less!

[img]http://www.sacramentals.com/Images/RBRWrap.jpg[/img]

this is about the size I'm looking for... 60" x 16", and it's a decent price... $24, but it only comes in black and with that real flowery lace... I wear too much black as it is, if I were to wear a black veil I think I'd always look like I was in mourning. :lol:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='zunshynn' date='05 May 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1273106466' post='2105632']
yeah, that's what mine is like. It seems like it couldn't be that difficult. I mean... you just get a large piece of lace and sew an edge on it... maybe it's hard to find a pattern because a pattern just isn't necessary for that. I don't know.

It's just that they're like forty dollars if you buy them online! That seems absurd to me. I can buy a dress or a whole outfit for that or less!
[/quote]

Heretical as this may be, I'm just not into lace--clothes, veils, curtains--you name it, it's not "me." So, once again I have an ignorant question--Is there a particular reason that the female headcoverings are lace? Or, is any reasonable headcovering acceptable?

Personally, the only headcovering I like at all is my blue and gold Cal hat--very good for "bad hair days." Even in winter in Chicago, I rarely wear a headcovering (except if it's a "bad hair day" and I wear my Cal hat). Instead, all my winter coats, jackets, etc. have hoods.

Somehow I doubt that my Cal hat would be considered a "reasonable" headcovering in a Catholic church, or any church (I mean "congregation") that I can think of. Or, are the only Catholics that would consider my Cal hat a reasonable headcovering those that don't follow the custom of women covering their heads in church anyway?

Note: I would break my "no lace" rule if I were meeting the Pope in person. But, I wonder, does the Pope ever get sick of seeing women in veils, and would enjoy seeing a woman in ordinary (yet modest) clothes sometime? Wearing a veil for a game of Monopoly with the Pope seems like overdoing it.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

marielapin

The only tutorial I've ever found on making your own veil is here, and sadly it is not the type you want.

http://church-ladies.blogspot.com/2010/01/working-with-lace.html

However, the general technique is still the same, and if I were you this is what I would do: scour ebay and the internet for the specific shape veil you are looking for. When you see the right one, get the dimensions. On ebay, they should either list them or supply them for you.

marielapin

[quote name='zunshynn' date='05 May 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1273106771' post='2105634']
[img]http://www.sacramentals.com/Images/RBRWrap.jpg[/img]

this is about the size I'm looking for... 60" x 16", and it's a decent price... $24, but it only comes in black and with that real flowery lace... I wear too much black as it is, if I were to wear a black veil I think I'd always look like I was in mourning. :lol:
[/quote]

For a plain rectangle veil you don't really need a pattern. You can draw your own rectangle to those dimensions and add the outside lace you are looking for. As long as she knows how to work and sew with lace it should be very simple. If she doesn't, print out the tutorial I printed earlier. Good luck!!!

Edited by marielapin

marielapin

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 May 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1273107225' post='2105638']
Heretical as this may be, I'm just not into lace--clothes, veils, curtains--you name it, it's not "me." So, once again I have an ignorant question--Is there a particular reason that the female headcoverings are lace? Or, is any reasonable headcovering acceptable?

Personally, the only headcovering I like at all is my blue and gold Cal hat--very good for "bad hair days." Even in winter in Chicago, I rarely wear a headcovering (except if it's a "bad hair day" and I wear my Cal hat). Instead, all my winter coats, jackets, etc. have hoods.

Somehow I doubt that my Cal hat would be considered a "reasonable" headcovering in a Catholic church, or any church (I mean "congregation") that I can think of. Or, are the only Catholics that would consider my Cal hat a reasonable headcovering those that don't follow the custom of women covering their heads in church anyway?

Note: I would break my "no lace" rule if I were meeting the Pope in person. But, I wonder, does the Pope ever get sick of seeing women in veils, and would enjoy seeing a woman in ordinary (yet modest) clothes sometime? Wearing a veil for a game of Monopoly with the Pope seems like overdoing it.
[/quote]

A headcovering doesn't have to be lace, it can be any type of fabric, a regular scarf, even a hat. If you are looking for gorgeous headcoverings that aren't lace, check out this lady's store. She's an orthodox Jew, and I have been admiring a lot of her headcoverings.

http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html

By the way I'm guessing a Cal hat is a baseball cap?? If that's true it could technically probably count as a headcovering but in general I would think something a little less casual would be more appropriate.

Edited by marielapin

CatherineM

They have frowned on me wearing a baseball cap in the choir. I wasn't given a specific reason.

I have found the prettiest veil fabric in the stores here where they sell to Indian women for making their wedding gowns.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='CatherineM' date='05 May 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1273109895' post='2105661']
They have frowned on me wearing a baseball cap in the choir. I wasn't given a specific reason.

I have found the prettiest veil fabric in the stores here where they sell to Indian women for making their wedding gowns.
[/quote]

LOL at the baseball cap in choir! Indian sari fabic can be gorgeous! The part of Chicago with the best Indian restaurants also has a lot of sari stores, and some of them are lovely. I could live with a veil made out of that fabric.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='marielapin' date='05 May 2010 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1273107811' post='2105646']
A headcovering doesn't have to be lace, it can be any type of fabric, a regular scarf, even a hat. If you are looking for gorgeous headcoverings that aren't lace, check out this lady's store. She's an orthodox Jew, and I have been admiring a lot of her headcoverings.

[url="http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html"]http://www.headcover...h.com/home.html[/url]

By the way I'm guessing a Cal hat is a baseball cap?? If that's true it could technically probably count as a headcovering but in general I would think something a little less casual would be more appropriate.
[/quote]

Thanks for your answer and the Web link. Yes, a Cal hat is a baseball cap from one of my alma maters, the University of California at Berkely. And, I agree, I would feel like it was too casual to wear in church--it would probably be more respectful to go without a headcovering at all than to wear my Cal hat. (Well, except maybe in Berkeley, but they tend to be very liberal there anyway.)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

truthfinder

[quote name='CatherineM' date='05 May 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1273109895' post='2105661']

[/quote]

At Mass several years ago, there was this person who comes in wearing a large, cowboy hat. The glaring altar serving, moi, was seen by the priest who followed my line of sight. He did a little run down the aisle and came back. It's okay, she's a woman. (This was a priest who did not like traditional ornamentation, but knew better than to mess with a woman in a headcovering, regardless of its type)

Sorry, I don't have a pattern, wish I did though.

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='05 May 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1273107225' post='2105638']
[/quote]

i feel the same way. When i first began covering my head, i went to the local Catholic bookstore and purchased a typical triangular, black lace headcovering. That's what they had, and i wore it for two years. I always felt like i was wearing a tablecloth ending or something, though.

Now, i just wear regular fabric scarves - i feel much more comfortable in them, they don't feel like they are going to fall off like the lace one did, and i am covering more of my hair this way. i don't think female headcoverings have to be lace at all, but that's just me.

[/quote]

Is there a rule stating women have to wear lace on their heads when meeting the pope?