An Old School Catholic Message Board

Execution By Firing Squad

dominicansoul

HisChildForever

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1276879390' post='2130907']
yes, and immediately after choosing, he and his lawyer fought for clemency...
[/quote]

No, you are incorrect. Before he was sentenced to the death penalty he asked for clemency. He was sentenced to the death penalty after his failed escape from the [s]prison[/s]court.

The following quotes are taken from the very article you posted:

[quote]Gardner walked willingly to his execution, a stark contrast to the fatal escape attempt he undertook 25 years ago that resulted in his death sentence.

Gardner was sentenced to death after being convicted of murder in 1985 for the fatal courthouse shooting of attorney Michael Burdell during a failed escape attempt. Gardner was at the Salt Lake City court facing a murder charge in the shooting death of a bartender, Melvyn Otterstrom when he took a gun smuggled into him and he shot Burdell in the face as the attorney hid behind a door in the chaotic courthouse.
[/quote]

He was on trial for the murder of a bartender. The request for clemency and a reduced sentence was for that trial. During the trial he murdered an attorney and attempted to escape, which resulted in his being sentenced to the death penalty.

[quote] The execution process was set in motion in March when the U.S. Supreme Court rejected a request from Gardner's attorney to review the case. On April 23, state court Judge Robin Reese signed a warrant ordering the state to carry out the death sentence.

At that hearing, Gardner politely declared, "I would like the firing squad, please." [/quote]

Again, you can see quite plainly that Gardner chose this method.

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1276879788' post='2130913']
The Catholic Church does in fact, support the death penalty [i]in cases where it is warranted...[/i]I figured since this man was in prison for the last two decades, and he had not killed anyone in the last 20 years, he wasn't a threat to society, and therefore his execution wasn't justifiable.
[/quote]
Are you in favor of eliminating appeals?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1276879788' post='2130913']
Catholic Doctrine can also easily be twisted to fit one's own opinions...just as Scripture verses...

The Catholic Church does in fact, support the death penalty [i]in cases where it is warranted...[/i]I figured since this man was in prison for the last two decades, and he had not killed anyone in the last 20 years, he wasn't a threat to society, and therefore his execution wasn't justifiable.
[/quote]

Catholic Doctrine does not require that he need be a threat to society, but that he committed a capital offense.

dominicansoul

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='18 June 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1276879803' post='2130914']
No, you are incorrect. Before he was sentenced to the death penalty he asked for clemency. He was sentenced to the death penalty after his failed escape from the prison.

The following quotes are taken from the very article you posted:

He was on trial for the murder of a bartender. The request for clemency and a reduced sentence was for that trial. During the trial he murdered an attorney and attempted to escape, which resulted in his being sentenced to the death penalty.

Again, you can see quite plainly that Gardner chose this method.
[/quote]

There are many articles about this on the internet. I read several which stated, despite his choosing his death, he immediately set about seeking clemency. It wasn't just yesterday when he fought to change his sentence from death to life. Why he decided on this type of death, probably depends on the state of his mind. Which probably wasn't very healthy...

dominicansoul

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='18 June 2010 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1276879955' post='2130917']
Catholic Doctrine does not require that he need be a threat to society, but that he committed a capital offense.
[/quote]
actually, the offender would need to be a direct and immediate threat to society...which this man wasn't...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1276880060' post='2130919']
actually, the offender would need to be a direct and immediate threat to society...which this man wasn't...
[/quote]

No this is the modern pastoral opinion on capital punishment, not the actual Doctrine. A threat to society is another justification but not a requirement that must absolutely be met.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote]actually, the offender would need to be a direct and immediate threat to society...which this man wasn't... [/quote]

the person he killed would contest that point. but he can't now... he's dead.

HisChildForever

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1276879976' post='2130918']
There are many articles about this on the internet. I read several which stated, despite his choosing his death, he immediately set about seeking clemency. It wasn't just yesterday when he fought to change his sentence from death to life. Why he decided on this type of death, probably depends on the state of his mind. Which probably wasn't very healthy...
[/quote]

Then those writers are quite misinformed when it comes to the criminal justice system, because once one is sentenced one is sentenced. The word would be "appeal" not "clemency".

dominicansoul

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='18 June 2010 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1276880403' post='2130925']
Then those writers are quite misinformed when it comes to the criminal justice system, because once one is sentenced one is sentenced. The word would be "appeal" not "clemency".
[/quote]

yes, all those writers are wrong, while you are correct... :rolleyes:

dominicansoul

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='18 June 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1276880173' post='2130922']
the person he killed would contest that point. but he can't now... he's dead.
[/quote]
I hope the person he killed made it to heaven and had forgiven him, and met him at the pearly gates last nite...

from what I understand, this man was sorry for his sin, and that had something to do with why he chose the type of death in the first place...

dominicansoul

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='18 June 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1276880160' post='2130920']
No this is the modern pastoral opinion on capital punishment, not the actual Doctrine. A threat to society is another justification but not a requirement that must absolutely be met.
[/quote]
i think i'll stick to the bishops opinions on this one...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1276880639' post='2130931']
[/quote]

I shall stick with Catholic Doctrine on this one... which trumps even the most well intended admirable opinion.

I guess I'm either on ignore or DS ain't come up with a practical solution to people waiting on death row.

Or she's crushing on kniggit of Christ.

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1276880639' post='2130931']
[/quote]
Wasn't Arius a bishop?