An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contemplative Sisters Of St John

sistersintigo

sistersintigo

The new General Prioress of the Contemplative Sisters of St Jean, is named Sr. Johanna. On-line, info about her is scarce. She was appointed last year by Cardinal Barbarin, who as Archbishop of Lyon is the congregation's "ordinary" [the motherhouse at St Jodard is within his diocese]. Her native country is said to be Holland. Per a French-language weblog by some Brothers of St Jean, who are active in former Soviet-bloc countries, Sr. Johanna was the prioress of a monastery in Vilnius, Lithuania, when she was notified of her appointment.
The new General Prioress, it is safe to assume, speaks multiple languages -- she must be reasonably fluent in French, would that not be a hard and fast criterion for a contemplative congregation whose formation houses are largely French-speaking? [There is a Mexican formation house intended for sisters who speak Spanish.] No info about her age, or if she studied directly under the deceased founder, Pere Marie Dominique Philippe OP.

Her new Mistress of Novices is identified as Soeur Christine and I could discover absolutely nothing else about this latter.

Many thanks for the update from Domine ut Videam regarding general meetings in October -- that's next month already. These sisters have had a trial by fire in the last several years; keep them in your prayers.

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1283472209' post='2167258']
The new General Prioress of the Contemplative Sisters of St Jean, is named Sr. Johanna. On-line, info about her is scarce. She was appointed last year by Cardinal Barbarin, who as Archbishop of Lyon is the congregation's "ordinary" [the motherhouse at St Jodard is within his diocese]. Her native country is said to be Holland. Per a French-language weblog by some Brothers of St Jean, who are active in former Soviet-bloc countries, Sr. Johanna was the prioress of a monastery in Vilnius, Lithuania, when she was notified of her appointment.
The new General Prioress, it is safe to assume, speaks multiple languages -- she must be reasonably fluent in French, would that not be a hard and fast criterion for a contemplative congregation whose formation houses are largely French-speaking? [There is a Mexican formation house intended for sisters who speak Spanish.] No info about her age, or if she studied directly under the deceased founder, Pere Marie Dominique Philippe OP.

Her new Mistress of Novices is identified as Soeur Christine and I could discover absolutely nothing else about this latter.

Many thanks for the update from Domine ut Videam regarding general meetings in October -- that's next month already. These sisters have had a trial by fire in the last several years; keep them in your prayers.
[/quote]

Sorry, I was mistaken about the month. I found out from the Brothers in Princeville that the general meetings will be in November, let us keep them all in our prayers - esp. that they may be receptive to the Holy Spirit and obedient to our Holy Father, Pope B16.

Thanks for the updates, I will continue to post info as I gain it.

sistersintigo

The Sisters are very closely linked to the Brothers of St John, who recently elected a new Prior General:
[img]http://www.stjean.com/france/france/images/photos_thomas_rome2010/thomas_rome2010_1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.stjean.com/france/france/images/photos_thomas_rome2010/thomas_rome2010_2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.stjean.com/france/france/images/photos_thomas_rome2010/thomas_rome2010_3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.stjean.com/france/france/images/photos_thomas_rome2010/thomas_rome2010_4.jpg[/img]

• 4 weeks later...
sistersintigo

If the Contemplative Sisters of St John have had some tabloid-worthy press in the last two years or so, the Brothers of St John have endured the exposure for a much longer time.
It all seems to have started around the mid-1990's actually. At that point the Vatican got involved already. The Community of St John, with at least three distinct congregations, had been of "diocesan" right for many years, through a time of remarkable growth and expansion. The Vatican got involved when the subject was broached: can these vowed religious become congregations, not of diocesan, but of pontifical, right?
Well by this time the Vatican's file on the St John family must be a bulging one. And, as the 2003 feature article in one of France's leading daily newspapers, Le Figaro, points out, the news reflects both extremes: in the original French, "tout et son contraire," with the best and the worst.
That is why the resolution of conflicts in these congregations will be neither simple nor easy. It is not a question of a perfect order without blemish about whom all criticism is based on unfounded rumor....the Vatican's Roman Congregation on Consecrated Life has been busy investigating the criticism, with the energetic assistance of the diocesan bishops in the French dioceses where the congregations of St John have their generalates. Then, too, this is not an intrinsically harmful order which has to be suppressed, as the notorious 'soeurs mariales' were suppressed by Cardinal Philippe Barbarin of the diocese of Lyon. The truth not only abides solidly between the two extremes, in the middle, but expands to both its positive and negative extremes, both poles of the axis.
Finally, between the 'pontifical right' subject being broached, and the selections in the past year or two of new general prior/prioress for each of the three congregations, nature took its course, and the very elderly founding father, Pere Marie-Dominique Philippe OP (who never left the Dominican Order, and formally speaking never professed vows to the St John Brothers), went home to the Lord, dying of natural causes.
In short, the numerous and wide-spread Family of St John will be with us for a long time to come, and looks to survive the death of its founder for many generations. It is up to them, and to us, whether or not to idealize these congregations in order to see what we prefer to see and avoid seeing the rest; or to do as the retired ordinary, Bishop Raymond Seguy, had to do (see Skewww it on the Barb-b forum, thread on "Under the Eye of the Vatican"), and tell everybody how things stand, invoking canon law as necessary.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1286118323' post='2177625']
If the Contemplative Sisters of St John have had some tabloid-worthy press in the last two years or so, the Brothers of St John have endured the exposure for a much longer time.
It all seems to have started around the mid-1990's actually. At that point the Vatican got involved already. The Community of St John, with at least three distinct congregations, had been of "diocesan" right for many years, through a time of remarkable growth and expansion. The Vatican got involved when the subject was broached: can these vowed religious become congregations, not of diocesan, but of pontifical, right?
Well by this time the Vatican's file on the St John family must be a bulging one. And, as the 2003 feature article in one of France's leading daily newspapers, Le Figaro, points out, the news reflects both extremes: in the original French, "tout et son contraire," with the best and the worst.
That is why the resolution of conflicts in these congregations will be neither simple nor easy. It is not a question of a perfect order without blemish about whom all criticism is based on unfounded rumor....the Vatican's Roman Congregation on Consecrated Life has been busy investigating the criticism, with the energetic assistance of the diocesan bishops in the French dioceses where the congregations of St John have their generalates. Then, too, this is not an intrinsically harmful order which has to be suppressed, as the notorious 'soeurs mariales' were suppressed by Cardinal Philippe Barbarin of the diocese of Lyon. The truth not only abides solidly between the two extremes, in the middle, but expands to both its positive and negative extremes, both poles of the axis.
Finally, between the 'pontifical right' subject being broached, and the selections in the past year or two of new general prior/prioress for each of the three congregations, nature took its course, and the very elderly founding father, Pere Marie-Dominique Philippe OP (who never left the Dominican Order, and formally speaking never professed vows to the St John Brothers), went home to the Lord, dying of natural causes.
In short, the numerous and wide-spread Family of St John will be with us for a long time to come, and looks to survive the death of its founder for many generations. It is up to them, and to us, whether or not to idealize these congregations in order to see what we prefer to see and avoid seeing the rest; or to do as the retired ordinary, Bishop Raymond Seguy, had to do (see Skewww it on the Barb-b forum, thread on "Under the Eye of the Vatican"), and tell everybody how things stand, invoking canon law as necessary.
[/quote]

My sincere prayers for them for even the best of communities are tried by fire.

I don't know anything about either of those sisters, but I have met the Prior General (Fr. Thomas) and their previous one (Fr. Jean Pierre Marie). I was extremely impressed with both of them!!! I was present when one brother received the habit and his new name with Fr. Jean Pierre Marie. Awesome. I was very struck by Fr. Jean Pierre Marie. He seemed to be a man of great depth in spiritual matters. Also, I was blessed to attend several sessions taught by Fr. Thomas in Princeville several years ago while on a Come and See when my brother was still a novice in the Community. He seemed to be very intelligent and was a gifted teacher. I pray those sisters are in the best care under their new leadership!

btw...the upcoming chapter in November probably isn't one in which elections are taking place is it? It seems like those changes just happened?!

LaPetiteSoeur

Praying for this order! I hope they get everything straight with God and with the Vatican.

Dieu vous benisse!

sistersintigo

Dear Corban711, you have Domine ut Videam to thank for the info about November, I know no more than she has reported.
If I understood DuV correctly, the November assembly pertains only to the Contemplative Sisters of St John. It is correct that elections have already happened for the Apostolic Sisters and for the Brothers of St John.
As the "inner turmoil" thread elsewhere in this forum indicates, there is danger of the Contemplative Sisters splitting into two groups. Sisters Johanna and Christine have the backing of the diocesan ordinary, and through him, Rome. Sisters Alix and Marthe are the old-guard, who intimately knew the late lamented founding father Pere Philippe OP; these latter sisters were in power before Rome stepped in, and they have not been happy with the changes (Marthe especially, who is former mistress of novices).
[quote name='corban711' timestamp='1286259682' post='2177927']
I don't know anything about either of those sisters, but I have met the Prior General (Fr. Thomas) and their previous one (Fr. Jean Pierre Marie). I was extremely impressed with both of them!!! I was present when one brother received the habit and his new name with Fr. Jean Pierre Marie. Awesome. I was very struck by Fr. Jean Pierre Marie. He seemed to be a man of great depth in spiritual matters. Also, I was blessed to attend several sessions taught by Fr. Thomas in Princeville several years ago while on a Come and See when my brother was still a novice in the Community. He seemed to be very intelligent and was a gifted teacher. I pray those sisters are in the best care under their new leadership!

btw...the upcoming chapter in November probably isn't one in which elections are taking place is it? It seems like those changes just happened?!
[/quote]

• 2 months later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1286290270' post='2177965']
Dear Corban711, you have Domine ut Videam to thank for the info about November, I know no more than she has reported.
If I understood DuV correctly, the November assembly pertains only to the Contemplative Sisters of St John. It is correct that elections have already happened for the Apostolic Sisters and for the Brothers of St John.
As the "inner turmoil" thread elsewhere in this forum indicates, there is danger of the Contemplative Sisters splitting into two groups. Sisters Johanna and Christine have the backing of the diocesan ordinary, and through him, Rome.[/quote]

Does anyone have updates following the general-council-level meeting of the Contemplative Sisters of Saint John?

• 2 months later...

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1292192615' post='2192393']
Does anyone have updates following the general-council-level meeting of the Contemplative Sisters of Saint John?
[/quote]

Anyone?

I really like this religious family from what I've known from them - including a really devout medical doctor nun and an exorcist priest as well as being around them and drinking their own tea/soda cans back in WYD 2005 (I still have one in my room) - , what's going on now...?

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1286290270' post='2177965']
As the "inner turmoil" thread elsewhere in this forum indicates, there is danger of the Contemplative Sisters splitting into two groups.[/quote]

I've searched for that thread but can't seem to find it, would someone be able to assist please?

(I'm kinda hoping this is all just gossip... I've only heard rumours about people saying they were "growing too fast"...)

Edited by ExCorde

• 3 weeks later...
sistersintigo

News updates are more readily found in French than in English. Here are links to two different French-language updates.

[url="http://www.golias.fr/article4720.html"]journalist Christian Terras[/url]

[url="http://www.stjean.com/france/france/actualites/communique_sc_080311.php"]March 8, 2011[/url]

Because my translations are often full of errors and mistakes, I tried using the Google translator on the March 8 communique, and, for better or worse, here is what Google Trans came up with.

[quote]Bishop Henri Brincard succeeds Bishop Jean Bonfils as Commissioner of the Pontifical Congregation regarding the Contemplative Sisters of St Jean
Release from Famille St Jean - March 8, 2011
Bishop Henri Brancard has been appointed, by the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life, Pontifical Commissioner of the Contemplative Sisters of St Jean. He succeeds Archbishop Jean Bonfils in this function, to guide and assist the congregation of sisters in their journey towards peace and unity.

Bishop Jean Bonfils has held this post since 2009. He expressed his desire, to the authorities in Rome, to pass this office on to another bishop. He has, indeed, taken the first step in what the Holy See wanted by creating a contemplative reflection among the Contemplative Sisters of St Jean on their charism. This thinking led to the meeting in Lourdes in November 2010 which was attended by the Contemplative Sisters. Bishop Bonfils, in his resignation, also took into account his age and fatigue.

The new Pontifical Commissioner will govern the Congregation of Contemplative Sisters in the extension of the work done by his predecessor.

In addition, the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life has appointed Bishop Henri Brincard the "religious assistant" to the Brothers of St Jean and to the Apostolic Sisters of St Jean, because of the ties between the three religious institutes within the Famille St Jean. Without direct intervention in the respective governments of brothers and sisters, the Bishop will still support them, particularly in order to maintain the legacy of their founder, Marie-Dominique Philippe OP, according to the basic principles of consecrated life.

Pere Marie Dominique Philippe OP (1912-2006) founded, in 1975, the Famille St Jean, composed of three religious institutes with autonomous governments:
the Brothers of St Jean (about 540 brothers, divided into sixty priories);
the Contemplative Sisters of St Jean (about 380 sisters, divided into thirty priories);
and the Apostolic Sisters (about 150 sisters, divided into twenty priories).
There is also the Oblates of St Jean, a branch of laity, which are about 2,500.

Famille St Jean assures the outgoing Commissioner, Bishop Bonfils, of continued gratitude and prayer.
Bishop Henri Brincard expresses his confidence and his prayer for the new mission entrusted to him.[/quote]

Edited by sistersintigo

LadyOfSorrows

I'll be seeing these sisters at the end of April! So excited. Has anyone here visited them before?

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1299713192' post='2219651']
I'll be seeing these sisters at the end of April! So excited. Has anyone here visited them before?
[/quote]

Indeed, as a Sister myself with another community, I was invited with another of my Sisters to join the Brothers on a young adult retreat for a week. While there, we stayed in the cloister with the contemplative Sisters.

It was absolutely amazing, and if I had had a vocation to the contemplative life, the first place I would look is the Sisters of St. John.

I am sorry to see there is so much sensationalism surrounding any inner turmoil they may be experiencing; I'm sure the "drama" that is reported by the press is much more keenly felt in France than in the States, but I'm sure the division affects each member deeply.

From my time with them, they were absolutely wonderful and I see them as a great community. Their life is very austere, but very beautiful. Unfortunately, not many people nowadays can take the rigors of religious life, and even fewer [i]understand[/i] them, and so when one leaves, they have a tendency to blame it on the community rather than any fault within themselves. Not always, no, but we can't pretend that doesn't happen. We are all sinful, fallen human beings who need redemption. I know for a fact that numerous other communities who have people leave them have made similar accusations against their former communities. Whether or not the accusations are true, are the perceptions of the former member, or are simply slander is not always known. Since this community has grown so large so quickly, it seems the focus has been laid on them, and not other communities experiencing turmoil.

In any case, we should pray that any division or turmoil is healed quickly. The community of St, John has done much good, is sincerely needed in the Church today, and I'm sure the devil would like to do all he can to throw a wrench in it!

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1299713192' post='2219651']
[/quote]

LadyOfSorrows,

I lived in Saint Jodard, France, with the Community of Saint John from September to June of last year. (The mother house of the Contemplative Sisters is in Saint Jodard, as well as a priory of the Brothers and a priory of the Apostolic Sisters). Although I wasn't discerning with the Contemplative Sisters of St. John (I was part of a group of lay students who follow the philosophical studies and prayer life of the brothers), I became very familiar with them. I would often go to Mass, the offices, or adoration with them when I wasn't with the brothers. I saw several young women take the habit or pronouce vows. They are lovely sisters...and also very traditional (they fast, keep silence during certain times of the day, wear the full habit, etc.). I was struck by the amount of time they spend each day in silent prayer, as well as by the beautiful simplicity of their lifestyle. They are also very kind! I remember the sisters would often visit the lay students and literally bring wheelbarrows full of food to give to us! If you have any questions about their life or the community's charism, I'd be happy to tell you what I know about them!

Prayers for your discernment!

Amy

sistersintigo

[quote name='Domine ut Videam' timestamp='1283472741' post='2167263']
Sorry, I was mistaken about the month. I found out from the Brothers in Princeville that the general meetings will be in November, let us keep them all in our prayers - esp. that they may be receptive to the Holy Spirit and obedient to our Holy Father, Pope B16.

Thanks for the updates, I will continue to post info as I gain it.
[/quote]
Domine ut Videam posted this info last year. The November meeting did in fact occur, at Lourdes.

[url="http://www.golias.fr/article4820.html"]French-language update about November[/url]

The above link is NOT an official communique from the congregation, but a journalist's report to GOLIAS magazine in France. For those who have no French:

The journalist writes that the Lourdes meeting of the sisters -- he says 80% of the total Contemplative Sisters were present -- had two goals. The first was to arrive at a 2/3 majority about the problems that Bishop Bonfils had brought to the congregation's attention after the Vatican asked him to intervene.
Only with that majority on those issues, could the meeting then proceed to an election.
There was no election in November because a 2/3 majority was unreachable. Further details about this attempt, and failure, are not given in this report -- except to point out that this criterion had been agreed to, and insisted on, at the appropriate Vatican Congregation in Rome [Consecrated Life].

Bishop Bonfils' next official step was to report back to the Vatican, and in so doing, he tendered his resignation, in effect communicating that he had done all that he could do, and that it was up to the Vatican -- and whoever was named to replace Bishop Bonfils -- to determine what to do next for the Contemplative Sisters of St John.