• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ceciliatherese

ceciliatherese

Lurker

• n00b
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

So I've always wondered if there are still any missionary nuns like there were in the old days, like who would go to Africa or someplace like that and start a mission there and teach the kids and everything, haha. The idea's always fascinated me. It seems there aren't really anymore though.

#2 HopefulBride

HopefulBride

Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church Postulant

• Church Militant
  • 4,051 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

The SSVMs are missionary sisters. I believe also the Salesians are also missionaries.
  • Lisa gave this props

#3 Lisa

Lisa

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

The Missionaries of Charity definitely are, too!

#4 krissylou

krissylou

PM Super Alien

• Chummy Commoner
  • 804 posts
  • Non-Denominational

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Maryknoll is still around.

#5 MithLuin

MithLuin

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

Oh yes there are!!!

You just have to look in the right place.

There are some missionary nuns. Meaning, they will found a cloistered monastery in a non-Christian community. For instance, there are 9 Carmels in Japan. Carmelite in China

But it sounds like you are more interested in learning about sisters who work in an active apostolate (such as teaching or health care). So, let me give you some examples of those:

The Salesian Sisters (Daughters of Mary Help of Christians: FMA) are the largest order of female sisters in the world, and they serve in 80 different countries. No, really....pick a country! They work primarily with youth in a variety of different apostolates.

The Society of African Missions (SMA) is a group of priests who serve the Catholic community in Africa. Many of them are African, of course, but some are American, Irish, Phillipine, etc.

The Sister Servants of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Polish website) are the sisters who took care of Pope John Paul II in the Vatican, and they also have missions around the world, such as this one in Bolivia (Spanish website). They run orphanages there.

Of course, the Missionaries of Charity need no introduction ;). Mother Teresa's sisters serve the poorest of the poor all over the world.

There are many other Catholic missionary groups out there, so I can come up with plenty more examples if you are interested :)

#6 beatitude

beatitude

PM Super Alien

• Church Militant
  • 1,090 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

As others have pointed out, there are several missionary communities. Here in the UK we have the Franciscan Sisters Minoress (they have a mission in South Africa). There are also the Carmelite Sisters of Corpus Christi, an apostolic Carmelite community with convents in the United Kingdom, the United States, the Caribbean, and Liberia (West Africa). I'd like to put in a special word for these sisters - two prominent members of their community in England died recently, including a very gifted prison chaplain who received recognition from the Holy Father for her work with young offenders. They ask for people to pray that they receive the vocations they need for the community to stay alive in England, their birthplace.

That brings me on to my second point. In Africa there is community after flourishing religious community made up entirely of sisters from African countries. In inner city London, there aren't so many sisters, yet missionary work is badly needed there too. If you feel called to be a missionary, look for the order with a missionary spirit. Don't consider the destination. When Paul received his great conversion of heart on the road to Damascus, I doubt he had any idea that now his journey would not just incorporate Damascus, but dozens of other destinations around the Levant and the Mediterranean. A missionary never knows where God will send him or her. That's something to bear in mind.

#7 MithLuin

MithLuin

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

True. Many communities that mostly focus on work in their 'home' country also have a mission foundation elsewhere. For instance, the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal are best known for their work in the Bronx, but they also work in London...and in Comayagua, Honduras. I'm sure some of the brothers join in NYC and are surprised to find that they've been called across the ocean!

Maryknoll was founded 100 years ago (it's their anniversary this year!) to begin Catholic missions in foreign countries (specifically, China) from America. Prior to that time, America was viewed as the mission field for Europe ;). Now, they have a very active formation program for the sisters in New York...but their vocations come primarily from African nations. However, these sisters are then sent out on mission to (for instance) Brazil, because the charism of Maryknoll was always to take the gospel to new places, not to return to your home country.

Edited by MithLuin, 14 September 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#8 FutureSister2009

FutureSister2009

PM Pham

• n00b
  • 2,992 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

The Franciscan Sisters MISSIONARIES of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary Immaculate are clearly Missionaries. I know one of them who is stationed in Africa

#9 MaterMisericordiae

MaterMisericordiae

+ Visitation +

• Church Militant
  • 8,780 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Check out the Sisters of the Most Holy Soul of Christ the Lord.

They have missions in Africa serving the impoverished and uneducated. :)

Poor Clare Missionary Sisters

Oblate Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows

Missionary Sisters of St. Peter Claver

Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George

Sisters of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mother of Christ

Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate

Dominican Sisters of the Immaculate Conception

#10 das8949

das8949

PM Alien

• Chummy Commoner
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

The order that I was in has Sisters in all of these locations

Canoas, RS
Passo Fundo, RS
Kettering
Coesfeld
Bangalore, Karnataka
Patna, Bihar
Pekalongan
Rome (SND International Center)
Rome (Delegation)
Nairobi
Tegelen
Back to map
Jinotega
Back to map
Chimoio
Kumdi
Guimaras
Incheon
Arusha
Buseesa

#11 Freudentaumel

Freudentaumel

Lurker

• n00b
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

The Missionary Servants of the Poor of the Third World come to my mind.
Here is a video about them.

Sorry, I can't unbold this. Seems to be leaking from Darlene's post.

Edited by Freudentaumel, 14 September 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#12 Chiara Francesco

Chiara Francesco

PM Alien

• n00b
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

The Dominicans Sisters of Hawthorne opened a home in Kisumu, Kenya, Africa: http://www.hawthorne...ns.org/s303.htm

And on page 7 of their e-newsletter, is pictures of the Kisumu, Kenya Home: http://www.hawthorne...-winter2009.pdf

Edited by Chiara Francesco, 14 September 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#13 MaterMisericordiae

MaterMisericordiae

+ Visitation +

• Church Militant
  • 8,780 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Here are some more to be mentioned:

Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Congregation of Mary Queen

Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic

Daughters of Divine Charity

Daughters of Divine Love

Daughters of St. Mary of Providence

Franciscan Missionary Sisters of the Infant Jesus

Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate

Franciscan Missionaries of the Sacred Heart
Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate

Handmaids of Reparation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

Sisters of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception

Missionary Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo

Missionary Sisters of the Holy Family (I've met these Sisters; they are amesome!)

Religious Sisters Filippini

Sisters Minor of Mary Immaculate

Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows

Sisters of St. Ann

Sisters of St. Francis of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Sisters of the Holy Family

Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart

#14 MithLuin

MithLuin

PM Pham

• Church Militant
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

</b> Must [/b] ...stop....bolding....

Dunno if that'll work....

But yes, the short answer is, there are TONS of people all over the world doing exactly that. If you have a desire to do missionary work, by all means, pursue it! Some of these groups even allow lay people to work with them in the missions, so you can get a mission experience before you join.

Edited by MithLuin, 14 September 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#15 MargaretTeresa

MargaretTeresa

PM Pham

• Chummy Commoner
  • 1,642 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

Well, in their own ways, you also have the Daughters of St Paul (evangelizers). They do some missions with their books but I don't know much about it. (Ask Krissy)

Then, also, you have the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, which reach out to people through variety of apostolates. Kind of like the Daughters/Sisters of Charity, but Francisican. :woot:

#16 cmaD2006

cmaD2006

cmaD2006 at outlook.com

• Church Militant
  • 3,248 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Well, in their own ways, you also have the Daughters of St Paul (evangelizers). They do some missions with their books but I don't know much about it. (Ask Krissy)

Then, also, you have the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity, which reach out to people through variety of apostolates. Kind of like the Daughters/Sisters of Charity, but Francisican. :woot:

trying to unbold it :)

There are others: Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, (I think) Franciscan Sisters of Mary

</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>
</strong>

Don't know if it will unbold ... looking at the code on the page there are 14 strongs that are not closed (from Darlene's post).

Edited by cmariadiaz, 14 September 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#17 MaterMisericordiae

MaterMisericordiae

+ Visitation +

• Church Militant
  • 8,780 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

Why in the world is the format stuck on bold? :punchout:

#18 cmaD2006

cmaD2006

cmaD2006 at outlook.com

• Church Militant
  • 3,248 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

OK I emailed dUSt.

#19 FutureSister2009

FutureSister2009

PM Pham

• n00b
  • 2,992 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

I wonder if my posts will bold

nope guess not

Edited by FutureSister2009, 14 September 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#20 MaterMisericordiae

MaterMisericordiae

+ Visitation +

• Church Militant
  • 8,780 posts
  • Catholic

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

I wonder if my posts will bold

nope guess not

It happens when you reload the thread, so your posts are bolded. There must be something wrong with the server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users