An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vestments

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I've always wondered what each vestment is meant to signfy, and why the priest and/or deacon wears them.

Alb: Why does the priest wear an alb? What is it meant to signify? I've also seen some priests not wear an alb, just the habit and a chasuble, does that have any significance??

Stole: What is the stole for, and why do some priests kiss the back of it before they put it on??

Chasuble: What significance does the chasuble have? It is a vestment that portrays something, or signifies one particular thing?

I don't know what it's called, but it's what the priest uses during adoration. It kinda looks like a cape, but i know thats not what it is. Why does the priest put his hands in the vestment while carrying the monstrance instead of bare hands?

Dalmatic: Once again, why do deacons wear these, and what do they signify??

Thanks!!

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1320207744' post='2330142']
I've always wondered what each vestment is meant to signfy, and why the priest and/or deacon wears them.

Alb: Why does the priest wear an alb? What is it meant to signify? I've also seen some priests not wear an alb, just the habit and a chasuble, does that have any significance??

Stole: What is the stole for, and why do some priests kiss the back of it before they put it on??

Chasuble: What significance does the chasuble have? It is a vestment that portrays something, or signifies one particular thing?

I don't know what it's called, but it's what the priest uses during adoration. It kinda looks like a cape, but i know thats not what it is. Why does the priest put his hands in the vestment while carrying the monstrance instead of bare hands?

Dalmatic: Once again, why do deacons wear these, and what do they signify??

Thanks!!
[/quote]

The alb is the long white, robe-like vestment worn by all clerics at liturgical celebrations (celebrant, concelebrant, deacon, or acolyte). The alb (from Latin word alba, meaning "white") can be traced to the ancient Roman alb worn under a cloak or tunic; its colour symbolizes purity and its form recalls that described in Ezekiel 28:4. The Alb should always be worn even over the religious habit, however is is the fashon these days for some who have a habit to substitute the alb, but it would be like just wearing street clothes, which the habit is, normal wear for a religious.

The stole, matching the liturgical colour, is a long, scarf-like vestment worn over the alb and under the chasuble. The priest wears the stole around his neck so that it hangs equally down his chest in front It is the symbol of the clerical office,

By the Council of Mayence in 813, all clerics were required to wear the stole at all times. Thirty years later Rome decided that it only needed to be worn while vested for the liturgy.

For the Eucharistic Liturgy: Chasuble The chasuble, also matching the liturgical color, is is the long, often ornate, sleeveless poncho-like garment worn by priests and bishops over the alb and stole during the sacrifice of the Mass. It also symbolises the outer garment of charity.

The Humeral veil is the name given to a cloth of rectangular shape about 8 ft. long and 1 1/2 ft. wide.It is impossible to determine when the Roman Ritual first prescribed the use of the humeral veil. It was probably towards the close of the Middle Ages. It was prescribed in Milan, by St. Charles Borromeo, for processions of the Blessed Sacrament and for carrying Holy Viaticum to the sick.

The cope (known in Latin as pluviale 'rain coat' or cappa 'cape') is a liturgical vestment, a very long mantle or cloak, open in front and fastened at the breast with a band or clasp. It may be of any liturgical colour.
A cope may be worn by any rank of the clergy, and also by lay ministers in certain circumstances. If worn by a bishop, it is generally accompanied by a mitre. The clasp, which is often highly ornamented, is called a morse.

The cope is a vestment for processions worn by all ranks of the clergy when assisting at a liturgical function, but it is never worn by the priest and his sacred ministers in celebrating the Mass. The cope is used, for example, in processions, in the greater blessings and consecrations, at the solemnly celebrated Liturgy of the Hours, in giving Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, and the celebration of other sacraments outside of Mass. For most of these the celebrant may instead wear simply cassock and surplice or alb, both with the stole, for simpler celebrations. The chasuble, which is properly only worn for Mass, may also be worn during processions and other ceremonies that occur directly before or after Mass, such as the absolutions and burial of the dead, at the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperges"]Asperges[/url] before Mass, and at the blessing and imposition of the ashes on Ash Wednesday, to avoid the need for the celebrant to change vestments.

Edited by cappie