An Old School Catholic Message Board

Libertarian Philosophies

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

To my understanding the core fundamental belief that embodies the Libertarian philosophy is that everyone should be free to do as they want as long as it does not pose a risk to others. This includes legalizing gay marriage and drugs, as well as prostitution. Would it be against Church teaching to fight to legalize these things as long as you do not plan to do these things yourself? If this is not an appropriate question for this forum I can ask on a different site, but I figured this would be okay.

CatherineM

You are making an assumption that gay marriage and drug use and prostitution don't harm anyone. I beg to differ. I lost a nephew I helped raise to drug use, and then to prostitution to pay for his habit. He was murdered in Tulsa in 1994 by a John. I live in a downtown area of Edmonton that is very ethnic and alive during the day. At night it is alive with drug dealers and prostitutes. I promise you neither is harmless. It harms the people involved, their families, their neighbors, and the loss to society.

As to gay marriage, the Church has specifically said that we must fight it any way we can. There are excellent reasons for fighting it. Too many to list here actually. So no, you can't work to legalize things.