An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Did Jesus Have To Die?

reyb

I am not asking for an explanation on how or what you believe….…but rather, how do you ‘know’ that your sins are truly forgiven by God thru it. I know you believe in ‘penal-substitution’. But this ‘penal-substitution’ is also a part of your religious ‘belief’.  

I would not say that I believe in penal substitution. But it makes some sense to me.

As for your question - I do not know that my sins are truly forgiven by God. In this answer, when I say "know" I mean "have absolute certainty".

But I have faith that if I do what Jesus commands (baptism and confession in particular) then my sins will be forgiven. And I believe that the factual evidence we have makes it more likely than not that what the Catholic Church teaches is true.

Let me give you some example. In Jewish tradition, they truly believed that their sins are forgiven by God thru this ‘sin offering’. Do you think they really ‘know’ how it become possible?

I do not have an opinion on that. Please define "know" in your sentence above. The word "know" can mean many things, ranging from absolute mathematical certainty to a general hope.

Another example…. Aztec truly believed that their human sacrifices sustains life in the whole universe. Do you think they really 'know' how this human sacrifices sustain life in the Universe?

I do not have an opinion on that either. Please define "know" in your sentence above. The word "know" can mean many things, ranging from absolute mathematical certainty to a general hope.

Another example…Catholics believed that the Eucharist is the true body and blood of Jesus. How do you know its truthfulness if it cannot be detected by senses and understanding? (Summa Theologica ,Q75).

As for your question - I do not know that the Eucharist is the true body of blood of Jesus. In this answer, when I say "know" I mean "have absolute certainty".

But I have faith that the Eucharist is the true body and blood of Jesus. And I believe that the factual evidence we have makes it more likely than not that what the Catholic Church has taught concerning the Eucharist is true.

Are you saying, it is really true because you believe and have faith?

No. I am not saying that it is true because I believe and have faith in it. What the Catholic Church teaches could be false.

I have faith that what it teaches is true, and I believe that the factual evidence we have makes it more likely than not that what the Catholic Church teaches is true.

How about them (Jews and Aztec)? Do you think they are aware that they are wrong?

I doubt that they believe that they are wrong.

So, again,  How do you know that your sins are truly forgiven by God thru his death?  

Please refer to my answer above. I do not have absolute certainty. But I have faith and good reason to believe that what the Catholic Church has taught concerning this matter is true.

Edit:

LOL. OK. I finally read through this thread. Why didn't anyone warn me that ReyB is a nutjob? I guess I only have myself to blame really. Others seem to have figured that out way before I have. . .

ReyB - we will pray for you man.

Peace!

But seriously. I think that we need a bit of an intervention here. I think that we to discuss the following:

When I see myself like a metatron then I realized who is my Lord after it was gone. This is how you will see your body which is actually not your body anymore. That body is burning like the burning bush of Moses in the sacred mountain. You are like that man mentioned by Apostle Paul who was taken up in paradise, the man of lawlessness.

After that I realized who is my Lord. He is me in the very beginning but, now he left me for a while to come back again and I will be gone forever in Him.

This is some truly unique stuff.  But what exactly are you saying?

1) Are you saying that you saw an angel?

2) Are you saying that you became an angel?

3) Are you saying that you stepped outside of your own body?

4) Are you saying that you stepped outside of your own body and then saw yourself, which had the appearance of a flaming bush?

5) Are you saying that you stepped outside of your own body and then saw yourself, which had the appearance of a flaming bush, after which you saw "the Jesus that is different than the historical Jesus"?

6) Are you saying that God pays you personal visits from time to time in some ghost-like form?

7) When you write that "you will be gone forever in Him" are you saying that you will one day leave your body, which will be gone forever, and then you will meld into God somehow?

Edited by Peace

That dude is the only Phatmasser I have ever had on my ignore list.

Oh. Interesting. I did not know we could do that.

But I would like to figure out exactly what it is that he believes and how he came to believe it. It seems to be pretty far out there in la-la land. . .

Thanks for your advice.

Metatron, man of lawlessness and burning bush are different presentation made by different witnesses to just one thing namely the ‘Coming of Son of Man’.I am very much willing to explain about it but obviously, you are not really for it since there is dishonesty .

I said in my previous post.........

So, let us agree on this, that this ‘Jesus of Ignatius’ or ‘historical Jesus’  is just another rendition or interpretation of your early fathers to the letters of Luke and Apostle Paul. .....

And then you said........

I can't agree to that. Sorry. Because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Honestly? Really, you have no idea? Actually, I do not need to define what I meant by ‘Jesus of Ignatius’ since I already show it even before you asked for it. So, let me say, I am not yet ready to explain to you what was fulfilled in us, and If you think I do not know what I am talking about then, it is to my loss since Apostle Paul said...’... They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm. (1 Tim 1:3-7).

Actually, that is how your presented your faith in your previous post (read it carefully).

I would not say that I believe in penal substitution. But it makes some sense to me.

As for your question - I do not know that my sins are truly forgiven by God. In this answer, when I say "know" I mean "have absolute certainty".

But I have faith that if I do what Jesus commands (baptism and confession in particular) then my sins will be forgiven. And I believe that the factual evidence we have makes it more likely than not that what the Catholic Church teaches is true.

...... As for your question - I do not know that the Eucharist is the true body of blood of Jesus. In this answer, when I say "know" I mean "have absolute certainty".

But I have faith that the Eucharist is the true body and blood of Jesus. And I believe that the factual evidence we have makes it more likely than not that what the Catholic Church has taught concerning the Eucharist is true.

So....

How can you be sure of what you are hoping (see Heb 11:1)  if you are not 100% percent certain on what you believe?

There is sadness in my heart. 

Edited by reyb

Thanks for your advice.

Metatron, man of lawlessness and burning bush are different presentation made by different witnesses to just one thing namely the ‘Coming of Christ’.I am very much willing to explain about it but obviously, you are not really for it since there is dishonesty .

I said in my previous post.........

If you are willing to explain it then go ahead and explain it. Or do not explain it. It is your choice - but I am not going to answer your questions if you will not answer mine.

Honestly? Really, you have no idea? Actually, I do not need to define what I meant by ‘Jesus of Ignatius’ since I already show it even before you asked for it. So, let me say, I am not yet ready to explain to you what was fulfilled in us, and If you think I do not know what I am talking about then, it is to my loss since Apostle Paul said...’... They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm. (1 Tim 1:3-7).

Actually, that is how your presented your faith in your previous post (read it carefully).

Again - I am not going to answer your questions if you will not answer mine.

So....

How can you be sure of what you are hoping (see Heb 11:1)  if you are not 100% percent certain on what you believe?

There is sadness in my heart. 

Heb 11:1 does not say "be sure of what you are hoping". I do not know what you are talking about. And I do not need to be "sure" or "100% certain" about anything. I have faith in Jesus and the church that He created here on Earth. I am perfectly at peace with that.

Okay.

You are correct in Hebrew 11:1.  It does not say 'be sure of what you are hoping' ....

It is written 'Heb 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
NIV

Edited by reyb

Okay.

You are correct in Hebrew 11:1.  It does not say 'be sure of what you are hoping' ....

It is written 'Heb 11:1
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
NIV

The NIV is a protestant translation. It does not carry much weight here.