An Old School Catholic Message Board

Someone Who Doesn't Know What They Want In Life

Anastasia13

At what point would you not date someone who did not know what they wanted to do in life? Either in a relationship or with regard to where the other person is?

missionseeker

Doesn't know what they want or is unwilling or afraid to do something? Big difference. Who cares if a person is unsure of what he wants to do in his life? Tons of people don't figure that out right away. If they aren't willing to do SOMETHING (even if that be working at McDonald's to pay of student loans while trying to find or figure out something more permanent) then there's a problem. (Which is also a big difference from being told they were too qualified to work at certain places and hence, jobless ATM. )

In Christian philosophy, being is acting - making decisions, not being passive.

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1351638000' post='2500597']
Doesn't know what they want or is unwilling or afraid to do something? Big difference. Who cares if a person is unsure of what he wants to do in his life? Tons of people don't figure that out right away. If they aren't willing to do SOMETHING (even if that be working at McDonald's to pay of student loans while trying to find or figure out something more permanent) then there's a problem. (Which is also a big difference from being told they were too qualified to work at certain places and hence, jobless ATM. )

In Christian philosophy, being is acting - making decisions, not being passive.
[/quote]
What if someone is in their mid-20's, in school full-time, not sure about their major, and the other (BS already, working full-time, working toward goal job and own apt.) wants to be married in a couple of years?

Edited by Light and Truth

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1351644644' post='2500704']
May or may not be a problem.

It's an individual situation and there are only two people who can judge it.
[/quote]
How would they go about judging it?

Basilisa Marie

LT, the only one who can know if a person is right for you is you. If you don't know if a person is right for you, spend more time with him.

I wouldn't waste too much time with someone who is completely drifting through life. For instance if you are dating them, they better be past the "discerning my vocation" stage.

If they don't know what they want for a career they better have a plan to make money until they figure it out. Dreams are free but food is not for free.

He can always change his mind about what he wants in life but if he doesn't move forward at a reasonable place, before he knows it he will be 95 and the question will be unimportant. Because life will have passed him by. Along the way he'll have been dumped by lots and lots of women.

I am in my late twenties (wow that snuck up on me) and do not know what to do with my life.
Every couple of years I throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.
This has led to a bunch of weird adventures, but nothing resembling the "work-a-job-raise-some-kids-retire-to-FL-watch-tv-till-one-day-you-don't-wake-up" pathway that is expected of mature adults.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1351730511' post='2501564']
"work-a-job-raise-some-kids-retire-to-FL-watch-tv-till-one-day-you-don't-wake-up"
[/quote]
Most depressing post ever :unsure:

yeah but think of all the friends and family who will be with you as you go through that cycle.
Drifters (me) don't get that and that, my friend, is depressing.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1351730511' post='2501564']
I am in my late twenties (wow that snuck up on me) and do not know what to do with my life.
Every couple of years I throw a bunch of spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks.
This has led to a bunch of weird adventures, but nothing resembling the "work-a-job-raise-some-kids-retire-to-FL-watch-tv-till-one-day-you-don't-wake-up" pathway that is expected of mature adults.
[/quote]
Would it be reasonable for a woman working toward being an office manager/non-profit manager and who wanted to live in one of several places that she currently does not reside in, with the closest being 40 minutes from her home, to date you if you were a guy and thus the one who should be more responsible for providing for a family one day? Why or why not?

Edited by Light and Truth

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

It depends...I have drifted in many ways thru my life at this point mainly because I like that freedom, If I had met the right woman I probably would have set down my roots and gotten on with my manly duties, as it is I'm basically doing that now as I apply to seminary. I have been able to learn a tremendous set of hobbies and skills which I no doubt with be useful knowledge for the future, I have gone where I have felt drawn and because it is just me I can survive doing that. I use myself as the example here because I wouldn't have considered myself a deadbeat or not worth someone's time. S the REASONS behind the actions are much more important, the only way you can learn and understand the reasons is by getting to know the person. If you get to know them and their reasons don't sit we'll with you or you end up incomparable then good...knowledge has been gained.

• 6 years later...

I'm turning 21 in 10 days, I am married, I have a one year old, I own a house. 

I've only had two jobs and I don't have a high school diploma or equivalent. 

I'm floating through life, wanting to be with my child, not wanting to be a failure. Regularly wishing I could get past my fears, and procrastination, to actually do something about my endless depression of my own depressing  flooping existence. 

I consistently make promises to myself, "I'll get my GED." 

"I'll just get a job." 

Just a job, to support what? Me? My child? My husband? No. 

A job, to support the idea that I'll never figure out what I really want to do with my life. 

A job, to support the procrastination that I've never been able to let go of. 

A job, to support the idea that if I have money, I'll be happy. No. 

I want to become something, but I have a lot to figure out before I get a "Job. " 

Maybe this will help someone? 

It hasn't helped me. At flooping all. 

10 hours ago, DiploRev said:

I'm turning 21 in 10 days, I am married, I have a one year old, I own a house

Count your blessings.   you have your whole life in front of you and it sounds like you’re off to a good start.