An Old School Catholic Message Board

List Of 20th Century U.s. Presidential Quotes About The Bible (1901-20

Judas Maccabaeus

Judas Maccabaeus

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aHQ5r7g1pU0/UKKG9Zr-H8I/AAAAAAAABr8/Un255rI3Y3g/s1600/EnochPage180x162.jpeg[/img]

[i]Almost every man who has by his life-work added to the sum of human achievement of which the race is proud, of which our people are proud, almost every such man has based his life-work largely upon the teachings of the Bible.[/i]

- Theodore Roosevelt, Former U.S. President (1901-1909)

[i]I enter a most earnest plea that in our hurried and rather bustling life of today we do not lose the hold that our forefathers had on the Bible.[/i]

[i]I wish to see the Bible study as much a matter of course in the secular colleges as in the seminary.[/i]

[i]No educated man can afford to be ignorant of the Bible, and no uneducated man can afford to be ignorant of the Bible.[/i]

[i]A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education.[/i]

[i]Every thinking man, when he thinks, realizes that the teachings of the Bible are so interwoven and entwined with our whole civic and social life that it would be literally-I do not mean figuratively, but literally-impossible for us to figure what that loss would be if these teachings were removed. We would lose all the standards by which we now judge both public and private morals; all the standards towards which we, with more or less resolution, strive to raise ourselves.[/i]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Cci_QwwD4_Q/UKKG9z9HZpI/AAAAAAAABsE/KX4LiQgvIzM/s1600/NewEnglishOpenBible200x145.jpeg[/img]

[i]I have a very simple thing to ask of you. I ask every man and woman in this audience that from this day on they will realize that part of the destiny of America lies in their daily perusal of the Bible.[/i]

- Woodrow Wilson, Former U.S. President (1913-1921)

[i]A man has deprived himself of the best there is in the world who has been deprived of the Bible.[/i]

[i]When you have read the Bible, you know it is the word of God, because it is the key to your heart, your own happiness, and your own duty.[/i]

[i]The Bible is the one supreme source of revelation of the meaning of life, the nature of God, and spiritual nature and needs of men. It is the only guide of life which really leads the spirit in the way of peace and salvation.[/i]

[i]America was born a Christian nation. America was born to exemplify that devotion to the elements of righteousness which are derived from the revelations of the Bible.[/i]

[i]The strength of our country is the strength of its religious convictions. The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country.[/i]

- Calvin Coolidge, U.S. President (1923-1929)

[i]If American democracy is to remain the greatest hope of humanity, it must continue abundantly in the faith of the Bible.[/i]

- Calvin Coolidge, Former U.S. President (1923-1929)

[i]The whole inspiration of our civilization springs from the teachings of Christ and the lessons of the prophets. To read the Bible for these fundamentals is a necessity of American life.[/i]

- Herbert Hoover, Former U.S. President (1929-1933)

[i]The study of the Bible is a post-graduate course in the richest library of human experience.[/i]

[i]Menaced by collectivist trends, we must seek revival of our strength in the spiritual foundations which are the bedrock of our republic. Democracy is the outgrowth of the religious conviction of the sacredness of every human life. On the religious side, its highest embodiment is the Bible; on the political side, the Constitution.[/i]

[i]We are indebted to the Bible for our national ideals and institution. Their preservation rests in adhering to it's precepts.[/i]

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aHQ5r7g1pU0/UKKG9Zr-H8I/AAAAAAAABr8/Un255rI3Y3g/s1600/EnochPage180x162.jpeg[/img]

[i]It is a fountain of strength…I feel that a comprehensive study of the Bible is a liberal education for anyone.[/i]

- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Former U.S. President (1933-1945)

[i]We cannot read the history of our rise and development as a nation, without reckoning with the place the Bible has occupied in shaping the advances of the Republic. Where we have been the truest and most consistent in obeying its precepts, we have attained the greatest measure of contentment and prosperity.[/i]

- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Former U.S. President (1933-1945)

[i]The fundamental basis of this nation’s law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teaching we get from the Bible- from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St. Paul. I don’t think we emphasize that enough these days. If we don’t have the proper fundamental moral background, we will finally end up with a totalitarian government which does not believe in the right for anybody except the state.[/i]

- Harry S. Truman, Former U.S. President (1945-1953)

[i]The spirit of man is more important than mere physical strength, and the spiritual fiber of a nation than its wealth. The Bible is endorsed by the ages. Our civilization is built upon its words. In no other book is there such a collection of inspired wisdom, reality, and hope.[/i]

- Dwight D. Eisenhower, Former U.S. President (1953-1961)

[i]In the highest sense the Bible is to us the unique repository of eternal spiritual truths.[/i]

- Dwight D. Eisenhower, Former U.S. President (1953-1961)

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Cci_QwwD4_Q/UKKG9z9HZpI/AAAAAAAABsE/KX4LiQgvIzM/s1600/NewEnglishOpenBible200x145.jpeg[/img]

[i]For centuries the Bible’s emphasis on compassion and love for our neighbor has inspired institutional and governmental expressions of benevolent outreach such as private charity, the establishment of schools and hospitals, and the abolition of slavery.[/i]

- Ronald Reagan, Former U.S. President (1980-1988)

[i]Inside the Bible’s pages lie the answers to all the problems that mankind has ever known.[/i]

[i]Deep religious beliefs stemming from the Old and New Testaments of the Bible inspired many of the early settlers of our country, providing them with the strength, character, convictions, and faith necessary to withstand great hardship and danger in this new and rugged land. These shared beliefs helped forge a sense of common purpose among the widely dispersed colonies - a sense of community which laid the foundation for the spirit of nationhood that was to develop in later decades.[/i]

[i]Of the many influences that have shaped the United States into a distinctive nation and people, none may be said to be more fundamental and enduring than the Bible.[/i]

[i]The Congress of the United States, in recognition of the unique contribution of the Bible in shaping the history and character of this Nation, and so many of its citizens, has...requested the President to designate the year 1983 as the ‘Year of the Bible.'[/i]

[i]The Bible and its teachings helped form the basis for the Founding Fathers’ abiding belief in the inalienable rights of the individual, rights which they found implicit in the Bible’s teachings of the inherent worth and dignity of each individual. This same sense of man patterned the convictions of those who framed the English system of law inherited by our own Nation, as well as the ideals set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.[/i]

[i]We're blessed to have the Bible's words of strength, comfort, and truth. I'm accused of being simplistic at times with some of the problems that confront us. But I've often wondered: Within the covers of that single Book are all the answers to all the problems that face us today, if we'd only look there. "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of our God shall stand forever." [/i]

[i]I hope Americans will read and study the Bible in the coming year. It's my firm belief that the enduring values, as I say, presented in its pages have a great meaning for each of us and for our nation.[/i]

- Ronald Reagan, Former U.S. President (1980-1988

[i]The Bible can touch our hearts, order our minds, refresh our souls.[/i]

[i]My Bible tells me that if we train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it. I think faith and guidance can help fortify a young woman’s sense of self, a young man’s sense of responsibility, and a sense of reverence all young people for the act of sexual intimacy.[/i]

- Barack Obama, U.S. President (2008-2012)

[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]* - Barack Obama, U.S. President (2008-2016)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]:D[/font][/color]

Judas Maccabaeus

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1352951335' post='2510319']
[color=#282828][font=Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]* - Barack Obama, U.S. President (2008-2016)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]:D[/font][/color]
[/quote]

'-2016'? That is absolutely incorrect, Sir, because President Obama could get shot and killed, run over by a car, or die of a heart attack tomorrow, or the next day, or any day before the year 2016, thus making your comment the opposite of true, as in false. Regardless of all that, I thought you might enjoy glancing at the following:

[center][img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vz9avCwTi-A/UKCTtJqKfNI/AAAAAAAABAE/EZ9NBz2t-UM/s400/CubeObamaFaith.jpeg[/img][/center]

[i]Our law is by definition a codification of morality, much of it grounded in the [b]Judeo/Christian tradition.[/b][/i]

- Barack Obama

[i][b]Jesus Christ is the LORD.[/b] I believe in that.[/i]

- President Barack Obama, September 26, 2011

[i][b]I am a Christian.[/b] So, I have a deep faith. So I draw from the Christian faith...So, I'm rooted in the Christian tradition. I believe that there are many paths to the same place.[/i]

- President Barack Obama

[i]I'd say, probably, intellectually I've drawn as much from[b] Judaism [/b]as any other faith.[/i]

- President Barack Obama

In spite of myself, I've grown to admire that gosh-darned commie liberal Barack Obama quite a bit, and I hope others may soon follow in my footsteps.

God bless and Shalom.

I judge someone by their deeds, not their words. I could scream "I love you" while punching a child in the face. There is a reason we have the saying, actions speak louder than words.

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, but you could have put Obama's term as (2008- ) because it's not over yet. Putting (2008-2012) implies he ended his term in 2012.

So technically, I think Gregor's more correct in this case. Obviously 2016 is a projection.

:)

Anywho, I generally wouldn't recommend talking about how Obama is an amesome Christian. People might get...testy.