An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Virginity [canon 604 #1 And 2]

God's Beloved

God's Beloved

Dear Friends in Christ,

Thank you for  coming here !

In response to the signs of the times -there seems to be a need for discussion /debate on consecrated virginity [canon 604#1 and 2] ----its identity, nature, value, charism, relevance , requirements, history, present, future, its  identity and mission by itself  / its identity and mission in relation with other vocations .

Also questions like  : Is it relevant all over the world or only in some parts of the world, should  there be a uniform code  about the way of life of CV  at the universal level , should  the consecration be conferred on women with secondary virginity, should the church allow men to receive this consecration ,  what is the value of  CV ontologically and functionally [ being and doing] , the sensus fidelium , should there be a formation plan for CV , what are the joys and struggles ,  the inter-generational perspectives,  how  it should be 'lived'  etc etc.

There is need  for discussions on so many points. A very big question Finally : Should CV be suppressed by the Church  ? If not, Why ?

I know there is a LOT of Chaos. I can think of the tower of Babel. We need a  Pentecost so that we may be able to understand each other in our own language . For this gift I pray , asking  the Holy Spirit to inspire us  to discuss this topic  , with openness to the Will of God, whatever it might be regarding this vocation.

Shall be happy if  we allow a kind of Brainstorming  in which we don't have to worry too much about using 'theologically correct' terms  since all persons posting here may not have been through formal studies in theology .The Church  does not have Formal definitions regarding most aspects of this vocation and has only given us basic guidelines which are open to varied interpretations. Lets see how the Holy Spirit  interprets it for us.

A small request : Please do not take the contents of this discussion/ debate  to any other public spaces like  blogs etc. Instead of embarrassing  anyone, we can try to email them personally . If anyone believes that  she/ he  is already sure about their interpretation of CV  , then request you  to refrain from commenting.

Thank you !

Edited by God's Beloved

God's Beloved

To any CV interested in knowing what the Congregation for the Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life in Rome said about this vocation in yr 2003 :

My Question: According to the Roman Pontifical the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity is used for women living in the world and those in monasteries.Does 'living in the world' mean only that it is 'not in a monastery' or should it be lived strictly 'in the world' like in secular institutes ?

The charism of cons.virgins is to be an eschatological image of the Heavenly Bride and the life to come, when the Church will at last live her love for Christ the Bridegroom.The charism of Secular Inst. is to transfigure the world from within, acting like a leaven within the cultural, economic and political life. Hence it would be improper for a member of a Secular Inst. to wear clothing which would identify them as a consecrated person. However,Cons.virgins are called to be an image of the Chruch's love for Christ.Would it be proper if the local circumstances demand, to wear clothing which would identify one as a consecrated person or be addressed as 'Sister'  even though one does not live in a religious community ?

The following was the response with the Official reference number. 

Prot n.SpR 862-4/2003

The life of virginity lived in the world gives public witness in everyday life , in some self-supporting work and in her service to the Church. It is not quite the same as the style of a secular institute because the virgin's consecration is public ,yet it is secular in the sense that she is not a religious.

The use of the veil, provided for in the Rite is decided on in the local circumstances with the Diocesan Bishop.The same would be true regarding any other identifying clothing and/or the use of the title Sister.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested  in getting clarifications regarding Consecrated life, if you visit their site on vatican.va , you can write to   them with your queries by email. It is accepted if you also give your postal address.  You receive a response  between 1 to 6 months as I can state from my own experience , if they know you, even by email.

Hope this helps. They seem to avoid putting any kind of uniform code at universal level  and leave it to the local churches.

God's Beloved
Understanding the Charism : Yesterday and Today and wondering what it will be in Future , if at all it survives.

The charism of cons.virgins is to be an eschatological image of the Heavenly Bride and the life to come, when the Church will at last live her love for Christ the Bridegroom.

Since CVs are called to be an Image of the Church's love for Christ , the following according to me, gives some idea  how  the world looked at the Church of Christ / CVs in ancient  history and how the world looks at  CVs today.

An Interview with the Church
[THIS IS THE ANCIENT VERSION.]  

She looked like a Mystery
Sitting in the temple
In silent contemplation
With her lamp ever lighted
Waiting …………………..
Then radiant she came out
She kissed a sacred book
Read something silently to herself
And she went around barefoot
Feeding the hungry
Healing the sick
Supporting the widows and orphans
Visiting the old and those in prison
And listening to the heart-cries of all.

What is it she reads
They all wondered……………
It surely contains a secret
The reason of her life.
She looks like a daughter
Of our own land
So silent, contemplative
So deep and holy
Even dressed like us
But yet so different.

One fine day they asked her
WHO ARE YOU ?
I am the Bride of Christ said she
Tell us more
How did you meet your Spouse ?
Isn’t he from a land seven seas afar ?
No. He suffered, died on a Cross and He Rose again
On our own land.
I have been washed in the blood of this Lamb
And try to follow Him wherever He goes.
Opening the sacred book she read.
“ Christ loved the Church
and gave Himself up for her[Eph. 5: 25]”.
O this story rings the bells
In our hearts.
All the while a fire was burning in our hearts
When you read from the scriptures
Surely He is the Way the Truth and the Life
The Saviour we have waited for
Since thousands of years.

O Virgin Bride of Christ
Made holy by His Blood
Splendid in the Wholeness of your faith
Radiant with His glory
The joyful Mother of a great company of saints
Blessed through the power of the Spirit
O Disciple of Christ
Who sits at the feet of her Master
O Servant who with and under Christ
Does service of the work of Salvation
O Queen called to share
In the glorious royalty
Of the King of glory
O Instrument  and terminal point of Salvation
The Design and Charity of the Lord God
Are fulfilled in you
Your Maternal heart
Embraces all people
And excludes no one
O Mother Church, we are hungry and thirsty
Make us your children

GIVE US CHRIST !

[THIS IS THE NEW VERSION ACCORDING TO MOST PEOPLE TODAY.]

She is the independent Miss Free

A Professional  with a Job

Single but Pious Lay woman

A Role-model for women.

Half a nun with no vow of Obedience or Poverty.

No habit , no  restrictions or rules

Doing voluntary service part-time.

While being part of a Third-order

Or a lay movement or association

For  receiving spiritual inputs.

Or member of a Secular Institute

Silent leaven in the dough.

Living in the world.

This comparison is not meant to offend anyone. Is something wrong somewhere ? Where is the Order of consecrated virgins  moving ?

I have tried to  look in- depth into this , trying to find the Identity of the Consecrated virgin- in today’s world, not in theory  but in concrete, visible form , especially in Asia where Religious Institutes  dominate and  seem to flourish.

It is a painful search. I feel strongly that the way Consecrated virginity is being asked to live  is the Antithesis of the charism in the Early Church. There is lack of continuity with tradition. Since the hierarchy sees a need for  silent leaven of Christianity in the world, the charism of secular institutes and lay persons is being artificially imposed on those who receive the Rite of consecration to a life of virginity.

Is there anyone who shares my pain and is willing to search with me for the Truth ? I shall be grateful to you !

CAN SOMEONE WRITE THE IDEAL [and Practical ] PORTRAIT OF THE CHURCH [consecrated virgin ]TODAY ?