An Old School Catholic Message Board

Year-long Volunteer Service

OnlySunshine

I spoke with one of the Associate Directors of LAMP Missionaries today and she was very helpful.  She is sending me an application by email either tomorrow or the next day and some information through the mail.  I love their spirituality (very Franciscan-like) and their desire to serve the poor and evangelize.  She asked me when I was thinking of starting and I suggested Fall 2013 because I am attending school full-time right now and I will be visiting the Sisters of St. Rita in the summer.  Please continue to pray for me as I discern if this is what God is calling me to do.  :)

Good point. Most of the trouble I've seen personally hasn't been caused by religious people themselves but by lay people who associate themselves with them, who haven't had any kind of religious formation, or who have been in religious life and weren't able to live it long-term, probably for the same reasons that they continue to have trouble (and cause trouble) everywhere they go.

I wouldn't generalize like that ... but I will say that a lot organizations (including religious communities and seminaries) require psych evals to try to prevent major issues from happening.  Psych evals aren't perfect tools though but are only part of the process.

I spoke with one of the Associate Directors of LAMP Missionaries today and she was very helpful.  She is sending me an application by email either tomorrow or the next day and some information through the mail.  I love their spirituality (very Franciscan-like) and their desire to serve the poor and evangelize.  She asked me when I was thinking of starting and I suggested Fall 2013 because I am attending school full-time right now and I will be visiting the Sisters of St. Rita in the summer.  Please continue to pray for me as I discern if this is what God is calling me to do.  :)

Here is another one you might want to keep in mind:

https://catholicvolunteernetwork.org/program/franciscan-workers-junipero-serra-companions-way

MM ... there is a whole magazine/book that has a lot of (Catholic) volunteer orgs.  I can't remember the name of it (I have an issue at home -- it has been one of my possible vocation options).  I'll try to post tonight.

Note that it has A LOT of suggestions in it.  Hundreds.  So you'd have to narrow down to what you feel called to do.

I'm filling out the paperwork from LAMP today.  I have to fill out a 5 page application, background check form, and write a personal essay.  I'm still not sure if God is calling me to do this yet but I at least want to get the process started.  :)