An Old School Catholic Message Board

Year-long Volunteer Service

OnlySunshine

ah, okay! I get it now! :like: Thanks! (I tend to be slow in getting things at times  :blush:) I wondered if she didn't like that she was mentioned/wanted to keep volunteer service private or something, etc. 

I think it was a joke :).  Mater probably has heard from TJTM :).

But while we're on the topic:

MaterMisericordie -- I do suggest LAMP ministries.  They're solid.  Structured.  I looked into them years back, and I think they are very good.  I know of a fomer LAMP person who is now in Fr. Groshel's order (a sister), and she was very happy with her experience there.

I know that the only reason why I didn't go with them was because I was coming out of postulancy and really did not want a structure that would remind me of postulancy (I needed space to work things out).  But the work they do is great, and the people running the program are faithful to the Magesterium of the Church.  It may be a bit out of your area (in NYC) but it would be a great balance between completely going out on your own and going out on your own (as a volunteer) in a structured environment.

I looked at LAMP's requirements and saw psychological evaluation on there and about freaked out!  After having the evaluation for the community I applied to last summer, it's not something I really want to subject myself to again.  I've heard good things about them (especially from TJTM on here) but I must admit I'm fearful of that test.

Maybe the psych eval you had done last summer would count for this?

I think To Jesus Through Mary (TJTM) wanted her chance to share her experience, which was single-handedly squashed in the initial post. ;)

I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions.  I've been in contact with TJTM about the LAMP ministry before.  That's what I meant...

I think it was a joke :).  Mater probably has heard from TJTM :).

But while we're on the topic:

MaterMisericordie -- I do suggest LAMP ministries.  They're solid.  Structured.  I looked into them years back, and I think they are very good.  I know of a fomer LAMP person who is now in Fr. Groshel's order (a sister), and she was very happy with her experience there.

I know that the only reason why I didn't go with them was because I was coming out of postulancy and really did not want a structure that would remind me of postulancy (I needed space to work things out).  But the work they do is great, and the people running the program are faithful to the Magesterium of the Church.  It may be a bit out of your area (in NYC) but it would be a great balance between completely going out on your own and going out on your own (as a volunteer) in a structured environment.

Thanks!  I'm seriously considering LAMP.  When I visited the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, Sr. Francis recommended that I look into either LAMP or Christ in the City.  Does anyone know more about the psychological evaluation they request?  I can find no evidence of it on their website but I saw it on CVN.  Like I said, I had one before (July 2012) and I hated it because it was incredibly long and taxing.

Maybe the psych eval you had done last summer would count for this?

The psychologist who did it said I would not be able to get extra copies.  I'm not sure I'd want the same one going to LAMP anyway because I have no idea what it says.  He won't let me have the results.  :(

Guest brandy_jo

I looked into LAMP once upon a time but then God directed me elsewhere.  I called them and they contacted me by phone and let me ask questions and they asked questions of me too.  (Granted this was many years ago now.  I don't know if that process has changed or not.)  As I recall they did say there was a psychological exam but it did not sound very intimidating.  I really think that they are just trying to be responsible by having the exam.  It might at least be a good idea to call and talk to them!  

To Jesus Through Mary

I looked into LAMP once upon a time but then God directed me elsewhere.  I called them and they contacted me by phone and let me ask questions and they asked questions of me too.  (Granted this was many years ago now.  I don't know if that process has changed or not.)  As I recall they did say there was a psychological exam but it did not sound very intimidating.  I really think that they are just trying to be responsible by having the exam.  It might at least be a good idea to call and talk to them!  

It still works pretty much the same way now... Then there is an application process. LAMPs test is more of a personality profile then a psychological evaluation. It normally happens on the "Come and See" and it is pretty low key.... for the record I am not responding to MM question, like a nice obedience PMer. :| 

It still works pretty much the same way now... Then there is an application process. LAMPs test is more of a personality profile then a psychological evaluation. It normally happens on the "Come and See" and it is pretty low key.... for the record I am not responding to MM question, like a nice obedience PMer. :|

How do you mean?  Is it more like a Myers-Briggs test?  I'm sending you a PM.  ;)

One good priest told me years ago that there are two kinds of people who come to religious places: prayerful people and crazy people. In the years that I spent around his priory, I saw and heard things I never dreamed could happen in real life. Some people are really out of touch with reality, and they let things like jealousy, pride, and desire for power take over, and rather than humbling themselves, they prefer their own illusions and power trips to the common good and respect for others. These are the kinds of people who ultimately spread rumors, bring false allegations against good people, get really angry at good people and never speak to them again, bring division to communities, try to seduce people in the most overt ways, etc. I've seen it all happen, in religious places.

I wonder how many of these people actually spent time in discernment. There is so much you can learn by just discerning, like we all are. It helps give you a clearer picture of your goals and what is required of you and of others.

petitpèlerin

I wonder how many of these people actually spent time in discernment. There is so much you can learn by just discerning, like we all are. It helps give you a clearer picture of your goals and what is required of you and of others.

Good point. Most of the trouble I've seen personally hasn't been caused by religious people themselves but by lay people who associate themselves with them, who haven't had any kind of religious formation, or who have been in religious life and weren't able to live it long-term, probably for the same reasons that they continue to have trouble (and cause trouble) everywhere they go.

I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions.  I've been in contact with TJTM about the LAMP ministry before.  That's what I meant...

That's what I thought you meant, but I must have read more humor into it than was intended. I'm sorry.

Good point. Most of the trouble I've seen personally hasn't been caused by religious people themselves but by lay people who associate themselves with them, who haven't had any kind of religious formation, or who have been in religious life and weren't able to live it long-term, probably for the same reasons that they continue to have trouble (and cause trouble) everywhere they go.

An analogy, I have found helpful is that a religious vocation is more like a marriage, than like a career or a job. It's a relationship with God and with others. There has to be communication and commitment on both sides. If you always think that your neighbours lawn is greener than yours. You are not going to be happy, anywhere, because there are no guarantees in life.

Hey!  That's me!

Krissy

layperson who hangs out with nuns

also is troublemaker

Catholicterp7

Have you heard about or looked into the Mother Teresa House? It is a Catholic home. They have line-in volunteers for 9 months; 35-50 hours a week and room, board, and training are provided. They help care for the terminally ill. This is their mission statement, " A communion of persons inspired by Mother Teresa, in which the terminally ill find a home and care in the love of Jesus Christ." It is a place worth looking into if your interested. :)

http://www.motherteresahouse.org/home/

I was going to suggest the same thing actually. There's no stipend and no insurance but wow, it's one amazing experience. I was the live-in last year and it really had a profound impact on me. It really is a wonderful place if you could take care of the insurance. 

JMJ+ :heart: 

Have you heard about or looked into the Mother Teresa House? It is a Catholic home. They have line-in volunteers for 9 months; 35-50 hours a week and room, board, and training are provided. They help care for the terminally ill. This is their mission statement, " A communion of persons inspired by Mother Teresa, in which the terminally ill find a home and care in the love of Jesus Christ." It is a place worth looking into if your interested. :)

http://www.motherteresahouse.org/home/

While they look beautiful, I am only looking at service opportunities with a stipend and health insurance.  ;)