An Old School Catholic Message Board

Aspergers/autism

ithinkjesusiscool

I am not autistic but have known several high functioning autistics.. There was a regular user of this site a couple years ago who was autistic and also a student at Cambridge in England. A long time friend of mine was diagnosed with Aspergers or High Functioning Autism. I sought a diagnosis myself but the phychiatrrist I met with concluded that I was an introvert with PTSD.

Honest to drunk, Penguin31, I am not God

tinytherese, I would argue against college professorship. It is a job market that is shrinking exponentially. It is fiendishly difficult to get a tenure track position simply because there are so many PhD's out there competing for fewer and fewer positions. Though since you are a girl you would have a bit of an advantage simply because of your gender. how about a career as a DRE or equivalent? You would need a Master's for that

Aspies tend to hide on internet forums...IRL is like it is, you know...

speaking of aspies and forums.. do any of you ever go to wrongplanet.net? I dont post a lot but i do some lurking there.

Edited by Tony

tinytherese

speaking of aspies and forums.. do any of you ever go to wrongplanet.net? I dont post a lot but i do some lurking there.

I'm a member on there but haven't posted much. I have a different screen name than this one.

I'm a member on there but haven't posted much. I have a different screen name than this one.

yeah mine's different too ;)  It's nice to have that anonymity ;)

tinytherese

tinytherese, I would argue against college professorship. It is a job market that is shrinking exponentially. It is fiendishly difficult to get a tenure track position simply because there are so many PhD's out there competing for fewer and fewer positions. Though since you are a girl you would have a bit of an advantage simply because of your gender. how about a career as a DRE or equivalent? You would need a Master's for that

I originally studied theology to become a DRE yet that requires a great deal of social skills (recruiting, pastoral counseling, serving as the go between with lots of groups, etc.) and manager skiIls that would be far too much for me to handle. I've also read that those on the spectrum usually make terrible managers. On top of that is how competitive parish positions are and parish politics.

I also can't wrap my mind around specifically how to catechize. The courses I took on catechesis which included developmental psychology of different age groups were so vague about how to specifically teach. We got theory but not how to apply it. The Catechetical Documents of the Church are not specific either.

Oh my gosh it's like a big Catholic aspie party in here. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bravo: 

:popcorn2:

ithinkjesusiscool

Oh my gosh it's like a big Catholic aspie party in here. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bravo:

:popcorn2:

just don't forget the Asperges :saint2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyhelVUVjEk

listen to this: http://www.audiobooksonline.com/audio/Look-Me-in-the-Eye-My-Life-with-Aspergers-John-Elder-Robison-abridged-Random-House-Audiobooks.mp3

Do you have problems with eye contact?

Edited by ithinkjesusiscool

Nihil Obstat

What did St Thomas and other great saints say about Aspergers/Autism?

Probably nothing at all, because such conditions are only beginning to be understood (and still haltingly) by modern medicine.

ithinkjesusiscool

Are you saying that medieval psychology was bad and that people in those days were unaware of ASD in people? Some say that Mr Thomas himself had AS.

I personally can't say that I LOVE the DSM....

Nihil Obstat

Are you saying that medieval psychology was bad and that people in those days were unaware of ASD in people? Some say that Mr Thomas himself had AS.

I personally can't say that I LOVE the DSM....

That is more or less what I am saying.

Everyone here has aspergers? And now for the second least shocking development of 2013...

Rude but funny