An Old School Catholic Message Board

Re-moralizing Society

Jake Huether

If America's only problem with music were talking about sex and / or adultery in suggestive terms, that would be one thing. But we don't have just that; we have songs with explicit cussing, songs that glorify violence, songs that make it clear they're talking about sex, and songs that refer to women as "beeshes" and "hos." I think we have a longer, more difficult road ahead of us than Thailand if we want to re-moralize America!

Edited by davejc29201

Jake Huether

Oh, no doubt about it! Amen!

But what are your thoughts on 1) how America would handle it, and 2) whether or not it would be "constitutional". And... any other thoughts that come to mind.

I think America would embrace it (the people that is). But I don't think polititions, media, and all the necessary mouthpieces for the "people" would embrace it. If you really think about how things are... Do you think that we are missrepresented? I don't believe one bit that the majority of americans are pro-choice. And I don't believe one bit that the majority of americans think "freedom of speach" encompasses calling women beeshes, etc. But I think polititions and the media, etc. have an axe to grind. There's money to be made and power to be had. If they gave Americans what they really wanted, do you think that would be possible.

Maybe I'm naive... Maybe we are really that bad (well more than 50% of us anyway)...

Yeah, Jake, I think many people would embrace it, but you're correct -- the media and politicians would not. The latter would surely say they have a constitutional right. Well, as with all rights, free speech can be abused. I mean, I have the right to swing my fist, but that right ends where your nose begins. :P

cmotherofpirl

People in this country have a constitutional right to make geniuses of themselves by opening their mouths.

People in this country have a constitutional right to make geniuses of themselves by opening their mouths.

:lol: You are so right, cmom!! It's amazing what people will say or do in the name of free speech! Such people need to remember the saying "It's better to be silent and be thought the fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

cmotherofpirl

Free Speech is abused daily.

But think of those countries that are losing it like Canada and Ireland.

geetarplayer

Thailand rocks. They've never been invaded. EVER. They're one of the most cultured and safest places to vacation. And now this. Way to go, Thais!

-Mark

gopherball33

2) whether or not it would be "constitutional".

It is your constitutional right to say anything you want, but the law should be able to crack down on you if what you say is too bad.

Edited by gopherball33

Chastisement

I'm a big supporter of freedom of speech, however, those songs are just foul, I think the govt. should just condemn them instead of banning them. Yet, I'd be much more impressed if the society voted to ban them.

Anyway, songs today are disgusting, they preach and condone immoral actions and condemn those who live more chaste and untainted lives. For example, I can't remember the name of the song, and I'd rather not, but it's about two people having an affair and talkign about how they love each other so, when they "belong to someone else". It has a man and a woman singing different parts.

If I truely posted what I thought of that song, I'd be banned for foul language, but IMHO that song came right out from the depts of Hell, where it seems, so many things in this society have come from.

cmotherofpirl

It is your constitutional right to say anything you want, but the law should be able to crack down on you if what you say is too bad.

THe problem is who defines what is "bad".

Do you think the ghovernment has the right to decide what is bad?

In Ireland England and Canada the bible is starting to be considered

"hate speech".

Thomas Michael

You think "Secret Lovers" is bad, try "O.P.P." Naughty By Nature turns cheating and sneaking around into one big party, without the least tinge of guilt. And "Secret Lovers" isn't being played in almost every hip-hop nightclub the way "O.P.P." is heavily spun.

There's also a song by Mase, I forget the title, but the chorus goes "Why you over there looking at me, while my girl's standing here". And he goes on about sneaking around with somebody behind his girl's back. Makes me glad he got "born again".

gopherball33

In Ireland England and Canada the bible is starting to be considered

"hate speech".

And for what reason would they do something so incredibly stupid?