An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelites And Shoes

Mary+Immaculate<3

Mary+Immaculate<3

So I read this book last year that was a compilation of letters to her family of a Carmelite in Chicago during her formation. It starts out on her very first day and I don't remember at what stage it ends, but t is NOT at her death, nor do I think she had been solemnly professed yet. Anyhow, she mentions that she made herself (as all her sisters did), a pair of rope sandals woven together in a certain manner. This seems to be the most practical, as they are silent and protect the feet if there was anything harmful on the ground/floor. Do discalced (that is what the "barefoot" Carmelites are called, right?) Carmelites make any exceptions for shoe-wearing if they live in an extremely cold climate? Do Discalced Carmelites refrain from wearing shoes as a penance or as a sign of their poverty? (I'm thinking of ones who live in warm climates, where no shoes=no problem).

Thanks!

Mary+Immaculate<3

VeniJesuAmorMi

So I read this book last year that was a compilation of letters to her family of a Carmelite in Chicago during her formation. It starts out on her very first day and I don't remember at what stage it ends, but t is NOT at her death, nor do I think she had been solemnly professed yet. Anyhow, she mentions that she made herself (as all her sisters did), a pair of rope sandals woven together in a certain manner. This seems to be the most practical, as they are silent and protect the feet if there was anything harmful on the ground/floor. Do discalced (that is what the "barefoot" Carmelites are called, right?) Carmelites make any exceptions for shoe-wearing if they live in an extremely cold climate? Do Discalced Carmelites refrain from wearing shoes as a penance or as a sign of their poverty? (I'm thinking of ones who live in warm climates, where no shoes=no problem).

Thanks!

Mary+Immaculate<3

From what I could answer, as you were referring to the rope sandals called alpargatas, and its so nice that some Carmels still make them themselves! Some communities that don't use this type of sandal (the alpargatas) wear birkenstock sandals (Arizona style and a brown color is more popular for this.) These are expensive so maybe other communities wouldn't use them, but these are very good sandals. As far as I know Discalced Carmelites don't go barefoot. I have never heard of this or have heard from others that some communities would do this. I don't think I'm mistaken but if I am I hope someone would correct me and give you the right answer.

About any exceptions, the communities that I know of, they wear sandals all year round and during the winter months they may wear socks with their sandals. If they are outside in the snow they do have a pair of winter socks and snow boots. Postulants are asked to bring black shoes when they enter, as they don't wear sandals until they receive the Holy Habit.

Maybe others that know more about more communities than me can answer your questions with more information. :)

The Poor Clare Colletines go barefoot (in the monastery) after receiving the habit.  Working in the yard, etc., they will

wear flip-flops or other type sandals.  A friend of mine was in the Rockford IL monastery. and as a novice, had to literally

run (in the winter) through an open-to-the-air corridor to get from her cell to the main part of the building.

The nuns had carpet squares under their feet in the chapel.  Carmelites I have visited wear a variety of sandals--from

the Birkenstocks (with socks if needed) to the original alpargatas.

Chiquitunga

Do discalced (that is what the "barefoot" Carmelites are called, right?) Carmelites make any exceptions for shoe-wearing if they live in an extremely cold climate? Do Discalced Carmelites refrain from wearing shoes as a penance or as a sign of their poverty?

Yes, as the others said, Discalced Carmelites do not go barefoot, but wear sandals (alpargatas or other types of sandals more often these days) Here's a little about the term Discalced, http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05028a.htm (although that article is incorrect in saying the Colettines returned to wearing sandals, at least all the Colettines in the US still go barefoot, most of the time) "Discalced" is also a way of saying that this is a reformed group of an Order. 

The one exception to this that we did just hear in another thread though is that apparently the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Manila did actually go entirely barefoot for a time. They are in a tropical climate of course. But this is the only instance so far that I've ever heard of OCD Nuns doing this. 

Are you referring to the book, A Few Lines to Tell You by the way? It's online here now, http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015071151875;view=1up;seq=1  It's been a while since I read it but it sounds like what you described there, only it was the Carmel in Iron Mountain, MI. 

God bless! :)

Her book is 100$ I found a place that would sell it thru Amazon books. Wow Thank you for posting the link on line here! Much cheaper reading it on line, verses buying it. I now wonder what has happened Sr.Marie that wrote it!

Chiquitunga

Her book is 100$ I found a place that would sell it thru Amazon books. Wow Thank you for posting the link on line here! Much cheaper reading it on line, verses buying it. I now wonder what has happened Sr.Marie that wrote it!

Oh it was just like a pen name they used (they told me)  :like: Yes, it is wonderful it's online now! Wow, you're right, someone is asking $100 on amazon for it, http://www.amazon.com/few-lines-tell-you-Carmel/dp/B0007FH7OU I guess anyone out there can ask anything though. 

Check out how much this one is!! :lol4:http://www.amazon.com/Let-Him-Do-It-Maravillas/dp/B00194GAXW  That's some serious wishful thinking... I bought one of these for around $35 not too long ago.

Chiquitunga

Oh my.. I just noticed that St. Maravillas book went down to $75. It was $1, 400 something a couple hours ago! must have been a joke! I wonder if that seller lurks on VS! :hehe:

Strictlyinkblot

Hmmm, I got my copy of 'A Few Lines to Tell You' from a Catholic home schooling resource website. I think its called Catholic Heritage something. I'll check. It was only a few dollars. Also, Abe books website, there's a UK and a USA one is great for sourcing second hand books on all kinds of subjects. I got my copy of Mother Mary Francis's book 'Strange Gods Before Me' for about £10 sterling including postage.

• 3 weeks later...
Chiquitunga

So I read this book last year that was a compilation of letters to her family of a Carmelite in Chicago during her formation. It starts out on her very first day and I don't remember at what stage it ends, but t is NOT at her death, nor do I think she had been solemnly professed yet. 

Praised be Jesus Christ! Just ran into this and realized this may have been the book you read instead, The Nun's Answer. It was printed in Chicago but I believe the nun who wrote it was in the UK. She also wrote another book on Carmelite life called Catch Us Those Little Foxes

I've run into these books before on internet searches, but have never read them. Has anyone here? Gracian, have you? They sound similar to A Few Lines to Tell You or My Beloved <- also all online, btw http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/110110-my-beloved-by-mother-catherine-thomas/

I have read both of them several times. They are spiritual gems, taking them out of the library at the School of Theology near me.

They remind me a little of Thomas Merton's "Seeds of Contemplation" only perhaps with a  slightly more feminine Spiritual attitude.

Absolutely beautiful, and deeply prayerful insights.

Chiquitunga

I have read both of them several times. They are spiritual gems, taking them out of the library at the School of Theology near me.

They remind me a little of Thomas Merton's "Seeds of Contemplation" only perhaps with a  slightly more feminine Spiritual attitude.

Absolutely beautiful, and deeply prayerful insights.

Great!! Thank you so much for letting us know. That is exactly how I would describe My Beloved and A Few Lines to Tell You. I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheap copy of either of these. Thanks again! :like:

graciandelamadrededios

Great!! Thank you so much for letting us know. That is exactly how I would describe My Beloved and A Few Lines to Tell You. I'll have to keep an eye out for a cheap copy of either of these. Thanks again! :like:

My Beloved is one of my favorite books!  :saint2:

I am currently reading Jodi Bilinkoff's "The Avila of St. Teresa" which examines the Catholic Reformation and Counter-Reformation in the City of Avila during the time of Teresa.

graciandelamadrededios

Praised be Jesus Christ! Just ran into this and realized this may have been the book you read instead, The Nun's Answer. It was printed in Chicago but I believe the nun who wrote it was in the UK. She also wrote another book on Carmelite life called Catch Us Those Little Foxes

I've run into these books before on internet searches, but have never read them. Has anyone here? Gracian, have you? They sound similar to A Few Lines to Tell You or My Beloved <- also all online, btw http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/110110-my-beloved-by-mother-catherine-thomas/

I have read "My Beloved" and "A Few Lines to Tell You" but not the other two.  Which Carmel published "The Nun's Answer" and "Catch Us Those Little Foxes?"

Chiquitunga

I have read "My Beloved" and "A Few Lines to Tell You" but not the other two.  Which Carmel published "The Nun's Answer" and "Catch Us Those Little Foxes?"

I'm not sure if it's indicated in either book, but I remember seeing somewhere online that the nun who wrote them was from a Carmel in the UK.