An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking The Faith To The Streets

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

I have for quite some time lamented the total absence, at least here in South Australia, of religious habits out on the streets.  Without a word, it is a statement that The Gospel is present in our midst and a call to mind that The Gospel is indeed present and alive and well.  Some of our contemplative religious do wear habit, but are never seen outside their monastery.

Anyone living in Adelaide South Australia interested in what would be a totally TOTALLY new venture in every way, please contact me via PM.

maximillion

I don't live in Adelaide but there is a similar situation here in the UK.

I am interested in your idea.......

BarbTherese

I am specifically looking at women living in Adelaide, Sth Australia, at this point.  Thank you both very much for expressing interest.  Any information as to details, such as it is unfolding (I hope), will be conveyed via PM.

This much I am very much aware of and that is that in Adelaide here some religious many years back did abandon their religious habit due also to the fact they stated and rather regularly that they were being insulted as Catholic religious women and Sisters.  They moved on (or backwards) into secular clothing and have retained this and long after, I feel, any necessity asks it.  I am not speaking of those religious that returned to secular attire due to their founding charism, the wishes of their foundress and/or their constitution.

It does seem to me, such as I am, that secular attire for religious sisters has become a sort of fashion statement - "the way we dress nowadays", our identity, while admittedly many religious sisters have no dress sense whatsoever - not all, but many of them.  In fact, religious sisiters nowadays here in Adelaide can almost be immediately identified by the way they dress, which is modest and simply certainly - but not at all appealing to the modern eye.  And I think it was in Via Consecrata that The Holy Father used also "appealing" in relation to religious habit type wear.  The religious habit seems to have become simple and modest unappealing secular dress.  To this mind that is.

Nowadays and we have indeed moved on, Islamic women are wearing regular formal religious attire or 'habitual wear' ('habit') by which they can be identified and they are no longer insulted, while they did have some problems when their regular religious attire first appeared and here in Adelaide anyway, we have moved far on from that and Islamic women in their regular religious attire are everywhere and just accepted as Islamic or Moslem religious women.  The very fact of their own religious type attire does identify without words that the Islamic Faith is alive and well in our society.  Further, their very demeanour which in the main by far is simple and humble and often quite friendly is a positive 'advertisement' for what they do believe in the Islamic Faith expression and they do share our belief in the God of Abraham.  These women speak of God and of Faith in God without saying one word, admittedly where we are concerned it is the God they call Allah, who is still the God of Abraham under a different 'noun'.  It is in our understanding of revelation that we really do differ and separate - to put it in a nutshell.

One lay person appearing in not a religious habit per se, but a religious type of attire would probably be regarded as eccentric at the most kindest and even probably far worse (I know!).  Two or more in the same sort of attire might experience the same but would also 'announce', I feel, that the Christian Faith is also alive and well in our society and that 'something is happening' in that direction -  and while I believe some other Christian religions do have religious women, by far religious women or Sisters are attributed to the Catholic Faith and this speaks, I think, for itself.

The Holy Spirit does move in many unexpected and even intriguing ways at times.  I do think we need to be prepared to invite Him into situations in whatever way may seem appropriate and in accord with common sense and prudence - without presuming and reading far too much into common sense and prudence.  Religious have abandoned their habit of which St Teresa speaks so outstandingly reverently and humbly in the Interior Castel "whose habit (Our Lady's habit) I unworthily bear".  Why can't a lay person pick up a version of a 'habit' (standard attire) that still could in no way be termed formally as a religious habit per se, yet identifying the woman as a committed Catholic and follower of The Gospel.  Of course, this does set the bar very high indeed for the wearer - of which the wearer does need to be very conscious of and as a responsibility and accountability before Jesus and His Gospel - and very seriously so!!!

Just as we share in the virtues of all in The Church, so we share in their failures.  Today, and I am vitally aware of what is happening still in Australia in our legal systems, scandals are still being investigated related to The Catholic Church and abuses of children.  If Catholics are going to be insulted for being Catholics because of these dreadful scandals, then broadly speaking we may need to just endure it and as very minor penance for our own failures and these shocking scandals in The Church.  Compared to the evils that have been inflicted on children, anything we might suffer pales absolutely in comparison.  People can forget that while these terrible scandals and the victims in the wake are truly shocking - and for the victims a life long even life destroying suffering - and an absolute religious and social, spiritual, disgrace - more....these are crimes by criminals and serious spiritual failures, dreadful sins..  It can be easily forgotten that probably most Catholics are very good people and citizens doing good and even outstandingly good works in the community.   These shocking crimes belong to the minority in The Catholic Church but alarmingly and overwhelmingly saddeningly largely concern a minority at the highest levels of leadership and spiritual formation in The Church of priesthood and religious life.  But we all may need to pay the price, just as with Mother Teresa of Calcutta we all glowed, for example, in the wake of an outstandingly virtuous life.  Just as Australians here took great pride and glowed in the canonization of St Mary of The Cross MacKillop - our first saint.

We need to pray ardently daily for The Church through the intercession of Our Lady, Mother of The Church and St Joseph Patron of The Church and the foster father of The Church (Jesus) in His very early formation years.  We need to pray ardently for our Holy Father and all our priests and religious - and for all vocations of all kinds - and for holy and sound calls to all walks of life and vocations.  Ardently, from the very heart, and with a sense of urgency, real urgency.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

a few typos in  the above which I will try to correct having lost the edit facility, which timed out.  I hope I have corrected them all

3rd para:  "Which is modest and simply certainly" should read "which is modest and simple certainly"

6th para:  St Teresa of Avila in the Interior castle (not castel) wrote "whose habit I unworthily wear" (not unworthily bear)

We also need to pray very ardently from the heart, with conviction, for all Church and social leadership.  What I am looking at at this point is something quite informal in every way.  Should things succeed with three long standing members over say 3 years, then statutes etc. could be submitted to the diocesan authority but as a private association of the faithful only, which courtesy does ask that His Grace sights the statutes etc. but no formal approval is sought nor given at that stage.  But nothing at all is off the ground except me and I have been living the lifestyle for many years.  My director (religious order priest and superior in his Order as well as responsible for formation of novices etc.) has asked me to write a Rule of LIfe which is now in the early stages.  Just needs to be compiled into some sort of order.  Nothing else has been submitted to him, certainly not what I now write about.............I am 'feeling out' responses only.  But I will be drawing matters to my director's attention.

BarbTherese

Appealling secular dress is not at all expensive.  I have a standard "religious" type outfit (nothing at all resembling a religious habit) for around the house and less formal occasions (second hand stores only) and my formal and social type wear is all from second hand stores also.  Here in Australia, second hand stores ensure that all clothing is clean and in excellent condition and at ridiculous prices.  I was able to buy for formal wear a brand new Maggie brand linen blouse/coat for $9 - checking on the internet, it would have cost me $160 plus delivery.  I also wear (for many years now) always on all occasions without exemption a silver cross and a commitment ring in silver.  I have  three pair of shoes only, sandals for summer, formal type closed in in the main shoes (low heels) I have had for over 5 years as they are not often worn -  and boots for winter.  All bought in cheap shoe stores.  What we call $2 very cheap shops supplies all my new underclothing and nightwear.

If I can get one or more to join me, then I have designed a very simple 'religious type' outfit (standard outfit) nothing like a religious habit per se that could be made at very lose cost - I have a contact dressmaker very near Bethany here.  I plan to have this outfit made for me after Christmas 2013.

Medical Insurances are not problematic since most all medical accounts are fully covered by Medicare.  Sometimes a very small gap fee needs be paid.  For example I had serious major surgery recently that has not cost me one cent.  If one is prepared to live simply and frugally, I have ways of earning extra money over and above the aged pension by taking in ironing.  With those women and families that are two couple or two parents in the workforce, ironing is something that they like to have done as it is time consuming and one cannot multi-task while ironing.  And it is an excellent occupation for contemplative type living.  Also taking in washing.  Also, under my idea, no reason why a person living the life cannot retain their normal career.  I did this for many years and still lived the life.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

I am two quite large bedrooms here in Bethany besides my own (although one of the bedrooms is smaller but not overly small) - a large and rather pretty garden and pergola where three people can easily find solitude if required.  I have a very large kitchen and community type room or family room.  I have an oratory and prayer space.  Although initially, it is wise that we live in our own residence and meet regularly, living the one rule of life.  If things come to fruition, I would ask that all contribute to the Nature and Mission Statement and the various statutes and constitution - so that it is a joint effort to which we all agree.

I am quite willing, however, to give a live in on a trial basis here - a trial basis over an agreed period.  I would need baptismal and confirmation records, plus record of annulment if available, would consider divorced women with no commitments (this is a lay venture).  I would need a statement from a parish priest or religious who has known the person well, plus one or two members of one's parish community.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

Women with disabilities and no commitments would be considered on an individual basis.  They need to demonstrate that they have what is necessary to live the life - at this point.

maximillion

I have always admired the secular modest wear as exemplified by Amish women - plain comes to mind here.

One does not need to dress outlandishly in order to be modest, and their style of dress is individual enough for it not to be a 'habit' in that sense.

I too buy from thrift shops, I have one pair of shoes which I have had for four years, I go barefoot indoors, and some of my clothing is more than 12 years old and still perfectly wearable.

One thing that pleases me immensely is that due to another unforeseen and unhappy event, I am now moving into a flat on the ground floor. This flat has easy access to outdoors and an external tap as well as a minuscule garden and two borders. The previous occupant grew flowers, and without tearing down her roses, I will instead concentrate on tomatoes, beans and other easily grown crops, so what was a mis-fortune now turns into a blessing, because I can supplement my income this way. If only I had a way to keep a few chooks!

BarbTherese

Blessings in your venture, Maximillion.  I have a softness for chooks too - perhaps in the future I might venture into chooks. I have also admired the Amish people in the USA.

Certainly my mandatory shift into this large unit has changed much for me too, with losses and great gains too.

I guess for myself, I am prepared to start very very small and slow and see where The Holy Spirit leads in the hope it is His Inspiration.  It has long been in my mind, but back in my early years was very discouraged by religious authority.  I do feel too that our religious authorities are so snowed under with commitments that any sort of new venture sends shivers down their spine.  Although we can start something independently, I am now aware.  While courtesy asks that once something is established with two or more members, he is informed fully without seeking or giving approval.  This is the private association. Back then my illness was still active too - now I have ten years or more behind me of sound mental health and my psychiatrist is of the opinion that my illness has turned a real corner........not a common happening with Bipolar, but not an impossible one either.  I sailed through being told I needed serious surgery, then having it and recuperating without even the slightest hint of Bipolar.  In fact, I probably dealt with it all far better than those considered 'normal' whatever it is.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

BarbTherese

I have the timetable for formal prayer, or horarium, down in writing ok - just putting in writing the way things are.

I have all the basics for the Rule of Life proper, which I thought would be an easier exercise than it is proving to be - all I had to do, I thought, was simply put into writing the way I live here in Bethany and from Bethany.  Oh that was easy enough ............thought Ifree-confused-smileys-304.gif............it will be getting it into some sort of order and 'flow' for my spiritual director that will prove the really hard part.

In the interim, my brother presented me with 60 pages of our family history to review after over a year of him researching and at considerable expense.  It is proving a difficult exercise and time consuming since grammar was never his strong point and he would like to ensure that when it is finalized, it is readable and an interesting read and very often it is the structure of sentences and general grammar that can assist in this direction in a major way.   And.........and........I have offered to do an Index for him once the history as a written document is all settled with page numbers.

I thank The Lord profusely for Divine Providence and am just taking it all in stride prayerfully as complex as both exercises (Rule and family history) are proving to be - and not getting in a fluster over anything at all.  Father and my brother might feel things are a little slow in arriving on their desks and I am relatively confident that they will, unless gifted with the patience of a saint - and I can peacefully leave all that in the Hands of Divine Providence as well.

In-between times, now and then if I feel 'inspiration' and motivation, I am reviewing the 'standard dress' which is nothing like a religious habit - nothing!  Although, I think it will be identifiable as very Catholic and very committed.  I plan to retain secular clothing as well, while the silver ring and cross on a leather thong are ALWAYS worn. What is worn will depend on venue and reason for attending.  It would be nice to have second opinions on it all, and I guess I will have to leave all that to my spiritual director.  Certainly where the horarium and Rule are concerned Father will be the best of advisors.............while the standard dress could do with a woman's touch and opinion.  And I don't know how to draw something and then publish it on Phatmass for some feedback.

Today's Gospel (Sat 13.7.13) was a real consolation at this point too:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge.
Even all the hairs of your head are counted.
So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Chiquitunga

This sounds wonderful, BarbaraTherese!! Go for it!!! I don't feel called to active religious life, but I can back you with prayer :pray:

This reminds me of a statement a Nashville Dominican who studied in Sydney (though not South Australia) made about the habit ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW8A9uvSjSg&feature=player_detailpage#t=99s  although of course this is not unique to Australia, though overall there are less active habited religious there than the US at least. 

Perth is even farther from you, but I heard a story about an FI Friar who frequently visited a hardware store there, and one day the owner asked him "Why do you always come in here with that dress on?" :hehe:  I guess it's not that funny or unusual, but it's funnier I think if you know this particular Friar :proud: