An Old School Catholic Message Board

Eucharist Question

My advice is simple: receive the Eucharist. None of us is worthy but it is precisely the graces we receive from the sacraments and especially the most holy sacrament (Eucharist) that prevent us from sinning again. The longer you abstain from receiving our Lord in the Eucharist, the more time Satan has to fill your mind and heart with lies, thus making you more likely to sin even more.

Other PMers have said that it's not a sin to wait to receive Him and they are right but it may not be the best course of action for someone who had been in a state of mortal sin for a long time. Of course the decision is entirely between you and Jesus so pray, pray, pray and discern what He wants you to do.

What you are describing is Jansenism Delivery Boy.  It's a heresy. 

The Jansenist attitude towards the Eucharist was embodied in a book entitled, Frequent Communion, published in 1643 by Antoine Arnauld, a disciple of Cornelius Jansenius, the founder of the heresy...

In the central chapter of his book, Arnauld lays down the conditions on which a person may receive Holy Communion. “Since,” he argues, “the Eucharist is the same food that is eaten in heaven, so the purity of the faithful who receive it on earth must necessarily be that of the blessed in heaven. Consequently the only difference in disposition between those who partake of this food on earth and those who receive it in heaven, is that the first are still living by faith while the latter enjoy the vision of God.” The author then goes through a list of persons who should be debarred from Holy Communion, including “those who are not yet perfectly united to God alone, or, to use the word of Scripture, who are not yet entirely perfect and perfectly irreproachable.”

What was the effect of this teaching on the people? It was disastrous. Even in the first period of Jansenism, they were so influenced by its rigorism that they omitted their Easter duty and refused viaticum because they were not sufficiently detached from creatures. Jansenist priests were known never to say Mass; others considered it a matter of principle to reduce reception of the Sacraments to a minimum, so that Catholics were found who had not made their First Communion by the age of thirty. In one of his letters, St. Vincent de Paul describes the situation in Paris where, he says, “We no longer see persons frequenting the Sacraments, not even at Easter, the way they formerly did.” Speaking of annual Communions, he reports that “Saint Sulpice has 3,000 less; the parish of Saint Nicholas du Chardonnet, after having visited his families in the parish after Easter, in person and by proxy, told us recently that he discovered 1,500 of his parishioners who had not been to Holy Communion; and the same is true of others.” Many people used to receive at least once a month. “But now scarcely anyone can be seen going to Holy Communion on the first Sunday of the month and on feast days . . . unless a few at the Jesuit churches.”

http://www.therealpresence.org/archives/Sacred_Heart/Sacred_Heart_001.htm

Well I received...The readings were directed right at me today...It was one of those experiences that remind me how real God is....The prodigal son reading and then what the Priest preached pushed me to receive....How when the son came back he was welcomed with the clean robe and the calf even though he spent his fathers money on prostitutes....And the Father was thrilled he was back....Then the part about how Heaven rejoices over one sinner repenting and coming back into the fold....Thanks everyone for the imput I'm just reading it now....

Let's just calm down on the heresy accusations kids! 

Remember it's all fun until something gets broken or someone gets accused of heretical acts!!

A more ascetical approach has its roots long before Jansenism. In the early church people waited until their deathbed to be baptized!

In the early church, people deferred baptism because confession wasn't as readily available as it is now. I don't understand how deferring baptism is ascetical. And how would not receiving Holy Communion in a state of grace be ascetical?

Let's just calm down on the heresy accusations kids! 

Remember it's all fun until something gets broken or someone gets accused of heretical acts!!

Heretic! :crusader2:

Well I received...The readings were directed right at me today...It was one of those experiences that remind me how real God is....The prodigal son reading and then what the Priest preached pushed me to receive....How when the son came back he was welcomed with the clean robe and the calf even though he spent his fathers money on prostitutes....And the Father was thrilled he was back....Then the part about how Heaven rejoices over one sinner repenting and coming back into the fold....Thanks everyone for the imput I'm just reading it now....

We should hang out.

In the early church, people deferred baptism because confession wasn't as readily available as it is now. I don't understand how deferring baptism is ascetical. And how would not receiving Holy Communion in a state of grace be ascetical?

The deferment itself was not ascetical, but the understanding of the sacraments as serious matters not to be undertaken lightly was. They could go to confession maybe once after baptism (if they committed serious sin like murder, adultery, etc). But, in the New Testament we also see the Apostles baptizing people immediately.

How a community arranges its experience of rituals varies. I don't think the modern "come on down" arrangement is necessarily the best, though certainly the more austere forms of refraining weren't ideal either.

Edited by Era Might

We should hang out.

That would be dope Dust...Mabey I can get down to Texas for the weekend sometime and catch Mass and chill... Edited by Guest

ChristinaTherese

I was reminded of this poem while thinking of you:

Choreography for Angels

"I say to you, that there is joy among the angels in heaven upon one sinner doing penance." Luke 15:10

Who spun these angels into dance
When wars are needing all artillery
Of spirits' cannonading. Armistice
Wants first the over-powering wings, and they
Are occupied with pirouettes! Who did this?

Gone penitent, I caused it. I confess it.

Who tilted flames of Seraphim
In arabesques of pure delightedness?
Is not the cosmic crisis begging fire
For full destruction of hate's hazarding!
Why Seraphs swirling flames on floors of heaven?

I lit the heavens, when I bent my head.

Who lined mystic corps de ballet
Of Cherubim. Who set in pas de deux
This Power with this Principality?
Why these Archangels not on mission sent
Today, but waltzing on the stars, and singing?

I am the one who did this. I confess it.

I smote my errant heart, and Angels danced

(Written by Mother Mary Francis, PCC)

TheLordsSouljah

I was in a state of really bad mortal sin for a long time...I just let it go and drag on and on...I won't say how long cause some of you would gasp...I just went to confession...I'm getting ready to go to Mass....My question should I go up to receive Christ body and blood...I'm thinking 100 percent no...I feel zero percent worthy...Although I feel God telling me I should...And I'm telling Him I don't think I should...Although I'm a very sinfull guy I do fear God...And that's part of the reason not wanting to receive the Eucharist today...So I wanted the phams opinion if I should receive...Thanks...

If you have just been to confession, now is the very best time to go. When people complained that Pius X was allowing children to receive, saying that they could not yet comprehend the mystery, he asked them if they could ever comprehend the mystery. It is a profound mystery that we can never make ourselves worthy to receive. Only Christ makes us worthy, and desires with profound longing to heal your wounds and let you rest in His love.

I'd say the devil is tempting you not to go. Jesus is waiting for you....