An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Does Fr Mark Thibodeaux's Book Compare To Fr Gallagher's?

NotreDame

I'll chime in later this week.  I have that book -- it is different than Gallagher's books. 

Just looking at the table of contents ... Gallagher seems to go in depth with respect to the week one rules of discernement (that would be the material that I think Thibodeaux covers in part I and II).  Also -- Thibodeaux does touch upon false consolation which starts to enter into week two rules (again covered in depth in a separate book)  And his part 3 and 4 correspond's to Gallagher's discerning the will of God book.

Again I need to take a look at the book again.  I did peruse it at one point, but I decided to not go in depth with it (I had already devoured Gallagher's books).  Eh -- maybe it's time to devour this one in more detail just for grins.  I do remember that there were distinct differences in wording and how things were explained.

Thanks!!  You are saying that someone wrote a whole book on false consolation?  Are you talking about the "Spiritual consolation" book by Fr. Gallagher?  I haven't read that yet.  Is it good? 

Yeah it is the spiritual consolation book ... but it is tricky material. Basically he explains (in more detail) that if you are coming right out of desolation into consolation per the rules you are guaranteed to be in a true consolation, but if that consolation is followed by a second (or I would even say if that consolation is prolonged) then it can be game for being discerned.

Note that I'm not talking about the difference between spiriual and nonspiritual consolation - that is covered in the discernment of spirits book.

I'd recommend getting the book AND the audios. They're not exactly the same but complement each other quite well

Honestly,  I never even knew about the book until you mentioned it and I subsequently found it on Amazon.  I don't see it on his usual website nor do I see any podcasts for it.  Am I missing something?   Discerning hearts page:  http://www.discerninghearts.com/?page_id=1146

I own and have read and listened to the podcasts for "discernment of spirits" & "discerning the will of God".  I have also listened to the podcasts for his books on meditation and the Examen.    I would be interested in more on consolation, especially false consolation (new term for me.)  I've made some dumb decisions in my time.  It would be nice to have a bit more confidence discerning my state of mind (and spirit.)

Try this:

http://www.frtimothygallagher.org/on-disc

He has audio on the five books:  mediation and contemplation, discernment of spirits, examen prayer, spiritual consolation, and discerning the will of God.

The DVD "Living the Discerning Life" was the series run on EWTN.  It's on the discernment of spirits (from what I could tell -- I saw pieces of the series, it is good).

The DVD "Finding God in All Things" -- I missed it when it hit EWTN.  It looks like it covers the examen and mediation/contemplation. 

Thanks!  I'm bummed he doesn't have free podcasts.  I just bought the book.  Cheapest option thus far.