An Old School Catholic Message Board

Signing Off

Sponsa-Christi

Sponsa-Christi

This is a great community here on VS, but I think I’m going to have to wind down my Phatmass involvement. I’ll probably give up Phatmass for Lent, and then consider whether or not to sign off for good after Easter. (I will, however, keep my blog up for those who are interested, though I can’t make any promises about regular posting.)

I am bothered by how often my posts seem to occasion threads which show consecrated virginity in the worst possible light, despite my best efforts to be a gracious poster.  Also, to be honest, the personal attacks are starting to wear on me emotionally, and I’m concerned that the sheer number of posts in which certain members of the phorum loudly question my academic competence and faithfulness to the magisterium might come back to haunt me in real life at some point.

Still, I didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye! This is an inspiring group overall, and I’ve been very glad to “meet” you.

Oremus pro invicem!

I've appreciated your posts, Sponsa-Christi, even though I haven't been here or contributed that much. I can appreciate the need for a break from things like this in general, and I also respect your own decision and the reasons for it. But I do find it disturbing - having witnessed some of the interactions - that a few people can effectively shut down conversations on a particular topic so that someone who could have made a valuable contribution ends up feeling like this. You are both more vulnerable because your real identity is known, but also more credible for it. And I hope that you do keep blogging!

Sponsa-Christi, I don't understand consecrated virginity any better than I ever did (and I've broken my head open trying to understand on some of those threads ;) ), but you have always been a kind and charitable poster. Even though many people (like me) may not understand the CV vocation in full, your kindness and gentleness show that here is someone who puts charity over winning arguments or getting defensive - and that's a wonderful witness from any conscecrated person. Have a good Lent.

I can see why you might want a break but don't leave forever unless that's what you want to do.  A lot of the saints certainly weren't agreed with or understood.  I don't quite get the consecrated virginity vocation either but that doesn't really mean anything.  Which is why I don't usually post on the threads.  Winning arguments isn't important.  

Taking a break from the internet is always good for many of us, especially at Lent. I believe forums such as this one are very good in that they expose a wide range of ideas, opinions and experiences to others who wouldn't normally have access to such information. It is very easy to react without fully processing our thoughts vs. feelings and I think we have all had the experience of resisting sending that email or even hitting "send" only to be met by immediate regret! Therefore, I do believe that some of the "uncharitable," responses come from an immediate reaction instead of thoughtful, mindful, open communication. In my own work as an SD, this particular vocation seems to be one of the most difficult to understand & process interiorly (that and the vocation to Religious Life as a Brother as opposed to a Priest). I have found that many women, in their exploration and discernment regarding this vocation are often met with a list of "no's" and misunderstanding(s) on the part of clergy (which in this case would include Bishops). This is often frustrating and ultimately - in the few situations I have personally been involved with - discouraging. It can and does, for many, feel like rejection before they even make a step. So, what I'm offering you is some kind of context to place this in. Some of the communications related to me can be felt personally as being almost elitist - as an example - for the Catholic woman who had a major spiritual conversion later in life - only to find out that her choices THEN have forever changed her future and present circumstances. As far as I know, there is no other specific vocation that has this rigidity. In closing, as you withdraw from this forum, either temporarily or permanently, I ask that you remember in prayer those who feel hurt and frustrated by what they perceive as rejection from the Church.