An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orders That Celebrate The Extraordinary Form

Kylie Spinelli

Kylie Spinelli

I know they're few and far between, but I've only come across 2 thus far...

I have a visit scheduled with the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart (MA) soon, and I found the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (who do TLM on occasion, not regularly). 

I would REALLY love to enter an order that does TLM... Do any of you know of any other orders that do the Extraordinary Form?

I'm also looking into the Carmelites, so if there are any that are Carm and do EF, that'd be awesome too!! (But that'd be just an added bonus...)

Thanks!!

Ancilla Domini

Benedictines of Mary – www.benedictinesofmary.org

Sister Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus – http://www.institute...ations/sisters/

Carmelite Nuns of Valparaiso – http://www.lasvegasm....com/carmel.htm

Cistercian Sisters – http://www.valleyofourlady.org/ (http://www.nunocist.org/)

Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa (www.mariansisters.com) have the Traditional Latin Mass, but not exclusively

Clear Creek Sisters – http://www.clearcreeksisters.org/

Benedictines of the Immaculate Heart of Mary – http://www.ihmwestfield.com/

I have more, but I need to go to bed now - I'll most them in the morning. :) Hope this helps!

Edited by Ancilla Domini

Whew, some of you are such a wealth of information!  I'm lucky if I can remember what I did or read yesterday :)

Sister Marie

Just a word of caution - I would advise against making this a "must-have" item in discernment.  The reason I say this is that sisters often have very little say over who says their Masses and, if they have the EF now, there is no guarantee that they will in the future.  As sisters you have to "take what you can get" the same as all other lay people.  It's fine to have as a consideration, just know that it isn't something you can stake a future on.  

Just a word of caution - I would advise against making this a "must-have" item in discernment. The reason I say this is that sisters often have very little say over who says their Masses and, if they have the EF now, there is no guarantee that they will in the future. As sisters you have to "take what you can get" the same as all other lay people. It's fine to have as a consideration, just know that it isn't something you can stake a future on.

My gut feeling is that the Latin Mass will make a comeback in years to come.

Ancilla Domini

My gut feeling is that the Latin Mass will make a comeback in years to come.

(For some reason, I'm not able to prop your post - it doesn't even give me the option. =P But I would have propped it, if I could have. :D)

Kylie Spinelli

(For some reason, I'm not able to prop your post - it doesn't even give me the option. =P But I would have propped it, if I could have. :D)

Same... 

I go to both NO and TLM, and the number of young people and young families at the TLM is HUGE, whereas the number of young people at the NO is, well, near 0. 

Us young people are drawn to the Traditional stuff.... :) I see a revival in the EF coming soon! :D

But anyway, that's a topic for another thread, so I'll beat you to it: :offtopic: (directed at myself)

Pax

Lee Gilbert

The Valparasio Carmelites almost always have the EF because the seminary for the FSSP fathers is close by and their chaplain also uses the EF.

The daughter houses of Valparaiso, at Elysburg PA and Canyon CA ( soon to be Kensington CA) have the EF when they can. That said, my understanding is that the Dominicans who frequently celebrate mass at Canyon do so in the Dominican rite (Latin).

Also, it appears that the Carmel of the Infant of Prague at Traverse City MI is moving in this direction, bringing in more and more Gregorian chant. The new remodel of their chaplel gives them an altar that can serve either ad popuum or ad orientem.

The website given for Valparaiso is a creation of their friends back in Las Vegas, but has very little information on it other than photos of the construction of the monastery etc.

There is a website for the Canyon Carmelites that only gives the day to day Mass information: http://carmelites-of-canyon.blogspot.com/ but from this you can easily tell how often they have the EF. 

truthfinder

According to their calendar, the Carmelite nuns of the Infant Jesus Monastery in Zephyr, Ontario, in the last couple years have definitely moving towards Latin Masses.  This month's calendar indicates about half their Masses this way, the other half in the OF, and even the occasional Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy.  I'm not entirely sure what the main language of the monastery is, I know some of their material is printed in Chinese (they were founded from the Hong Kong Carmel in the 1990s).  They don't usually get a mention here, but they are clearly leaning towards EF Masses, so something to consider if you're interested.

myvocationislove.ca 

OnlySunshine

According to their calendar, the Carmelite nuns of the Infant Jesus Monastery in Zephyr, Ontario, in the last couple years have definitely moving towards Latin Masses.  This month's calendar indicates about half their Masses this way, the other half in the OF, and even the occasional Eastern Rite Divine Liturgy.  I'm not entirely sure what the main language of the monastery is, I know some of their material is printed in Chinese (they were founded from the Hong Kong Carmel in the 1990s).  They don't usually get a mention here, but they are clearly leaning towards EF Masses, so something to consider if you're interested.

myvocationislove.ca 

I was in contact with this same monastery and they are Chinese.  I couldn't understand the Vocation Director when I talked to her on the phone very well.  In fact, she said that she thought it would be difficult for those of a different culture to live with them because their practices are a bit different.  Their website is beautiful, though.

reminiscere

The Benedictine Nuns in Vermont, at least the majority of the time, have the Novus Ordo in Latin, not the TLM.

The Carmelites in Canyon right now are having the N.O. a lot (relatively speaking) this will probably change once they're settled in to their new monastery and have a regular chaplain. Even the Nuns in Valparaiso have the N.O. occasionally.

The Sisters Adorers right now are not present in the U.S. 

Sister Marie

It really isn't an issue of it being popular but an issue of availability.  Priests are changed from place to place and with fewer of them you really have to be content with attending Mass under the circumstances of the place where you live.  You might have a priest nearby who will celebrate the EF for a few years but what happens when he is changed?  I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, haha, its just the reality.  Some of my sisters are currently serving in places where they don't get to go to mass each day because it just isn't offered.  I admire that they won't abandon the people there because of the unavailability of Masses even though its a spiritual hardship for the sisters.  That's a real cross but its more important to be a presence with the people there than to move to somewhere where they can attend mass daily.  Also, in many dioceses, priests aren't often assigned as chaplains to motherhouses and monasteries because the diocese doesn't have any priests to spare, leaving the community to find any priest who will take the time to come say mass for them.

I guess its something to ask the community and yourself... how important is it to you?  Would you leave a mission if it was no longer available?  Will your community actively seek out places where it is available?  If so, is that in keeping with your charism?  What will you do if a priest is available to say mass for you but he doesn't say the EF?  

It doesn't make a bit of difference to me what anyone's preference is.  I just think its good to get a feel for the reality that religious communities don't always get to choose how the community celebrates the Mass. 

OnlySunshine

It really isn't an issue of it being popular but an issue of availability.  Priests are changed from place to place and with fewer of them you really have to be content with attending Mass under the circumstances of the place where you live.  You might have a priest nearby who will celebrate the EF for a few years but what happens when he is changed?  I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, haha, its just the reality.  Some of my sisters are currently serving in places where they don't get to go to mass each day because it just isn't offered.  I admire that they won't abandon the people there because of the unavailability of Masses even though its a spiritual hardship for the sisters.  That's a real cross but its more important to be a presence with the people there than to move to somewhere where they can attend mass daily.  Also, in many dioceses, priests aren't often assigned as chaplains to motherhouses and monasteries because the diocese doesn't have any priests to spare, leaving the community to find any priest who will take the time to come say mass for them.

I guess its something to ask the community and yourself... how important is it to you?  Would you leave a mission if it was no longer available?  Will your community actively seek out places where it is available?  If so, is that in keeping with your charism?  What will you do if a priest is available to say mass for you but he doesn't say the EF?  

It doesn't make a bit of difference to me what anyone's preference is.  I just think its good to get a feel for the reality that religious communities don't always get to choose how the community celebrates the Mass. 

You touched on a very important point.  One monastery I'm aware of, in particular, that does not have access to daily Mass is the Benedictine Monastery of Our Lady of the Rock in Shaw Island, WA.  They have Mass said on Sunday, I believe, and have enough hosts consecrated so they are able to have communion service during the rest of the week.  I think this would be very difficult for someone who was not used to this sort of thing, but I admire the nuns who are able to endure a whole week with no Mass - just the Eucharist.

inperpetuity

The Valparasio Carmelites almost always have the EF because the seminary for the FSSP fathers is close by and their chaplain also uses the EF.

The daughter houses of Valparaiso, at Elysburg PA and Canyon CA ( soon to be Kensington CA) have the EF when they can. That said, my understanding is that the Dominicans who frequently celebrate mass at Canyon do so in the Dominican rite (Latin).

Also, it appears that the Carmel of the Infant of Prague at Traverse City MI is moving in this direction, bringing in more and more Gregorian chant. The new remodel of their chaplel gives them an altar that can serve either ad popuum or ad orientem.

The website given for Valparaiso is a creation of their friends back in Las Vegas, but has very little information on it other than photos of the construction of the monastery etc.

There is a website for the Canyon Carmelites that only gives the day to day Mass information: http://carmelites-of-canyon.blogspot.com/ but from this you can easily tell how often they have the EF. 

Thank you for this info.  Mr. Gilbert.  I have sent you a pm regarding Canyon.  A few years ago when I was planning to visit Valparaiso, the prioress told me then that they have the NO mass once a week on Wednesdays to allow priests who do not yet know the TLM to say mass there.

I have a visit scheduled with the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart (MA) soon

I have a (male) friend, a rad trad, who just went to visit the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart in MA, and he returned very disappointed. He found out they're Feenyites. You might watch out for that.