An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop Ricken Establishes New Community - Missionaries Of The Word

Chiquitunga

• 2 years later...

How beautiful- love the habit!!!

has anyone visited? 

I notice the website says at least two years faithful to prayer routine or something- hmm...

What would this normally involve? How many hours, praying what, is it usually

6 hours ago, T0tusTuus said:

How beautiful- love the habit!!!

has anyone visited? 

I notice the website says at least two years faithful to prayer routine or something- hmm...

What would this normally involve? How many hours, praying what, is it usually

I don't know about this community, but communities often look for a routine more than actual amount of hours prayed. Typically something like morning and evening prayer from the office, the rosary and daily Mass and adoration when you can. 

Sister Leticia

T0tus Tuus - why don't you contact the sisters, and you can find out the answers to your questions directly from them. (And welcome to Phatmass!)

But to follow up what Truthfinder has said... A prayer life isn't a set of hoops to be jumped through, but whatever nourishes and enables a person to grow in their relationship with God. For example, I know some sincere, devout young Catholics who cannot go to daily Mass, because their working pattern clashes with Mass times, or their parish priest looks after more than one parish, or whatever. But they will sit on the train to work, listening to that day's Pray As You Go, or praying lectio/the office via an app on their phone. And/or they will pray the examen each night, or be active in their parish...or ...or...

But the point is, if they enquired about joining my congregation, I wouldn't "lay burdens upon them", by demanding that they pray or do more. If and when love and desire impels them to pray or do more, that's different - and if they want helpful suggestions, support, accompaniment etc I'm always delighted to help. And when it is love which calls someone to deeper, longer prayer, then the grace to respond generously is always assured.

I have written to them and asked a few questions, if you all like I can share some of what I learn when/if I hear back from them. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I finally heard back from these sisters. Sr. Lucia wrote me, and she was so sweet and kind. Here are the answers to a few basic questions I asked.

How many sisters are in your community?
-We are a very new community so there are currently five of us, three professed, two aspirants.

Do you pray the rosary together as a community?
 -We do pray a rosary daily but it up to the individual sister when she wants to do it.  Often, however, we pray it together when we are working together or traveling.  

How often do you have adoration?
 -We are blessed to have a daily Holy Hour, with a second on Thursdays for priests.

What is you daily schedule?
- Days can vary greatly for a professed sister due to our apostolate of discipleship.  Every day, however includes 1 hr of lectio divina upon rising, 1/2 hr of spiritual reading (normally with breakfast), praying the liturgy of the hours 5 times a day (3 in common), Holy Mass, Dinner as a community with recreation, examination of conscience, and several hours of work time for chores and being with the young people.  

Do you ever get to visit your families? 
- Yes, we have a yearly home-visit and our families can visit us at the convent once a month. 

Thanks for sharing! It's great that they have 5 in the community :) 

How intense is the schedule! They fit in so much!

Just calculating the hours and I noticed that they didn't mention lunch....hmm...but who needs food right?

My food is to do the will of Him who sends me (Jn 4:34).

Sorry, it should be "sent me"