An Old School Catholic Message Board

Conservative Vs Traditional Catholicism

mortify ii

mortify ii

Since the topic came up in another thread not dedicated to it, I figured I would post this here. Here is one take by an FSSP priest (note: not SSPX), Fr Chad Ripperger:

http://www.latinmassmagazine.com/articles/articles_2001_SP_Ripperger.html

Excerpt:

"The term “traditionalist” has two different meanings. The first is the heresy condemned by the Church, i.e., a philosophical/religious system that depreciates human reason and establishes the tradition of mankind as the only criterion for truth and certainty. This heresy denies the ability of reason to know the truth and thus maintains that truth must be gained through tradition alone. It is different from the current movement in the Church which clearly recognizes the ability of reason to know the truth but which sees the good of the tradition of the Church and would like to see it re-established.

"The term “neoconservative,” on the other hand, refers to those who are considered the more conservative members of the Church. More often than not they hold orthodox positions, but they would not assert that it is strictly necessary to reconnect with ecclesiastical tradition. The prefix “neo” is used because they are not the same as those conservatives in authority in the Church immediately before, during and after the Second Vatican Council. The current conservatives, that is, the neoconservatives, are different insofar as the conservatives of the earlier period sought to maintain the current ecclesiastical traditions that were eventually lost.

mortify ii

Can I just say I'm Catholic?

(also, I can't stand the term "Neo-Catholic"...)

Bishop Williamson of the SSPX calls himself Catholic, sometimes distinctions are good : )

Yea, as I detest the term "radtrad"

Somehow Pentecost does not seem like a good day for discussing divisions in the Church.  

http://youtu.be/aqkR-4l73CI

mortify ii

Somehow Pentecost does not seem like a good day for discussing divisions in the Church.  

http://youtu.be/aqkR-4l73CI

Are you a very negative person or just very critical?

The schola sang Veni Sancte Spiritu at Mass today and I found it very moving.  I thought that you would appreciate it too so I posted it to this thread.

mortify ii

The schola sang Veni Sancte Spiritu at Mass today and I found it very moving.  I thought that you would appreciate it too so I posted it to this thread.

Thanks... even though you did bring up the divide between neo-caths and trads in another thread.

:unsure:

Just sayin'

mysisterisalittlesister

I'm a Colbert Catholic.

Edited by mysisterisalittlesister

Thanks... even though you did bring up the divide between neo-caths and trads in another thread.

:unsure:

Just sayin'

After that, when I went to Mass and was thinking about Pentecost, I realized internal divisions was not a good topic for the day.  I decided to post the Pentecost Sequence instead.  But I'm ready to discuss it now.

The advantage of using labels is that they allow us to make generalizations about various positions and practices that exist within the Church.  The disadvantage is that people tend to use them in a pejorative way and use them to foster divisions.  

In my experience, the terms "neoconservative/neo-Catholic" and "rad-trad" are most often used to express disapproval rather than as neutral descriptors.  One can avoid this somewhat by using the terms that people use in self description.