An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do I Address A Bishop If I Meet One?

chrysostom

Credo in Deum

But gimme some time as I am still flipping through my bible and catechism to find out where and why it is right and more over expected to go above and beyond a normal greeting.

It is done out of respect for their office. God has called them and annoited them. Their positions are not ones of an earthly city but of a heavenly kingdom. Who else acts in persona Christi? Who else has been given the authority to forgive or retain sins? Who else has been given the privlage of consecrating the Holy Eucharist? It was common for Catholics to have a devotion to the hands of a priest. So common that enemies of the Church would notice this and therefore chop the priest's hands off so they could not say Mass or perform their sacred functions. The early Christians used to venerate these hands as relics.

Why do we not practice this type of devotion today? My guess is because lay Catholics and sadly the clergy, have lost their faith in the True Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist. Edited by Credo in Deum

It is done out of respect for their office. God has called them and annoited them. Their positions are not ones of an earthly city but of a heavenly kingdom. Who else acts in persona Christi? Who else has been given the authority to forgive or retain sins? Who else has been given the privlage of consecrating the Holy Eucharist? It was common for Catholics to have a devotion to the hands of a priest. So common that enemies of the Church would notice this and therefore chop the priest's hands off so they could not say Mass or perform their sacred functions. The early Christians used to venerate these hands as relics.

Why do we not practice this type of devotion today? My guess is because lay Catholics and sadly the clergy, have lost their faith in the True Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

Thanks for putting that into perspective, I was not thinking in terms of an anointed /heavenly kingdom, and I never knew priests long ago had their hands chopped off by enemies of the church that is really interesting.

I did know how ever that some European practice was to chop off the two fingers used to shoot an arrow rendering the fighter useless as well, why I know that an not the other * shrugs *...

I Guess where I take issue is how this extra respect now is only given to bishops and higher, and no longer to the priest.  as you have already pointed out.  And I hope at least clergy are not losing or have lost any faith in the True Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.  If that is the case then it is becoming the blind leading the blind.

ty

Nihil Obstat

I Guess where I take issue is how this extra respect now is only given to bishops and higher, and no longer to the priest.  as you have already pointed out.  And I hope at least clergy are not losing or have lost any faith in the True Presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist.  If that is the case then it is becoming the blind leading the blind.

ty

During the processional and recessional at Mass many of us bow to the priest as he passes us. Why do you think we do that?

We all call him "Father." In this very casual, informal society we live in now, we try to do whatever we can to show extra respect to our priests. Why do we do it?

Your Grace here. I used to call my favorite bishop Slats. I was young and cocky then.

Would that be Lynch in St. Pete?

In days gone by it was customary to bow and kiss a priest's hand. And we still call him "father", so........ y'know... Y u gotta be liek dat?

Is it not appropriate to honour those who have authority over us?

One parish I sometimes attend has a lot of Filipino immigrants who retain their customs of visible gestures of respect to priests like bowing and hand-kissing.  I really like the idea because I hold priests in very high respect, but it would be awkward for me (and probably most Western priests) because we are not from a culture that does this.

The thing that makes a priest so worthy of respect is his role in confecting the Eucharist.  While bishops have additional powers of governance and teaching, nothing is as significant as the Eucharist.

Nihil Obstat

One parish I sometimes attend has a lot of Filipino immigrants who retain their customs of visible gestures of respect to priests like bowing and hand-kissing. I really like the idea because I hold priests in very high respect, but it would be awkward for me (and probably most Western priests) because we are not from a culture that does this.

The thing that makes a priest so worthy of respect is his role in confecting the Eucharist. While bishops have additional powers of governance and teaching, nothing is as significant as the Eucharist.

There are a couple people at my parish who do it too. I would find it awkward for myself as well, but I do wish it was still the prevailing custom.

truthfinder

The EF has several times where kissing the priest's hand is required - receiving the palm on palm Sunday, candles on candlemas, etc. At solemn high Masses, the servers also frequently kiss the priest's hand. 

The EF has several times where kissing the priest's hand is required - receiving the palm on palm Sunday, candles on candlemas, etc. At solemn high Masses, the servers also frequently kiss the priest's hand. 

I think the EF is better in general at expressing the importance of priests.  

Credo in Deum

It's also customary when receiving a blessing from a newly ordained priest. In fact you kiss the palm of his hands.

Nihil Obstat

It's also customary when receiving a blessing from a newly ordained priest. In fact you kiss the palm of his hands.

A plenary indulgence is attached to a priest's first blessings, if I remember correctly. The first year following his ordination.

Nihil Obstat

If that is not a recognition of the great honour we offer our priests, then nothing is.