An Old School Catholic Message Board

Money

ithinkjesusiscool

ithinkjesusiscool

Why do some Parishes say that in order to have Mass offered for your intentions you should pay 10$ but doesn't charge for spiritual direction? 

Those are referred to as "stole fees" - fees paid to the priest for Mass, sacraments, and so forth. Basically, for when he's acting officially and is therefore wearing the stole.

Historically, before priests were paid by dioceses, they often had to generate their own income. That's the origin of it. They're usually quite reasonable (although church rental, say for a wedding or something, can run a lot higher). They vary from diocese, but at least in the US these days, the stole fees are set by the dioceses. Also, I think the priest doesn't keep that money any more - I think in the US these days the money goes into the parish funds.  

Anyway, spiritual direction is not an official function of the priest - he's not wearing the stole, so there are no stole fees.

But it would be nice to support your priest for whatever services he provides.

Edited by Luigi

Credo in Deum

Why do some Parishes say that in order to have Mass offered for your intentions you should pay 10$ but doesn't charge for spiritual direction?

Spiritual direction does not require candles, wine, or hosts. These things cost your priest money and so we have to help them help us.

Basilisa Marie

Yeah, sounds like a way to help cover stuff like candles, wine, hosts, electricity to keep the lights on and carpets vacuumed, etc. Luigi hit the nail on the head regarding stole fees. :)

Though if you get spiritual direction from a priest, it might be a nice gesture to get him a nice little gift for Christmas/his ordination anniversary/whatever. 

I've never been asked to pay for a mass.  Probably because I'm active in the parishes I've belonged to.  Spiritual direction costs money here.  Mine doesn't charge me.  She says that I couldn't pay her enough to deal with me, so she has to do it for free.

I pay for Mass here ... now, there are priests who will say Mass for free (who don't force a donation) but most priests in this diocese do, and if you sign up at the parish office they probably will charge.

In the Spanish community here in the diocese most of the times the Masses are asked for right before Mass, not at the parish office.  You may get a ton of intentions at one Mass but your intention is definitely included.

Finally ... whether or not you pay for spiritual direction really depends.  My spiritual director asks for a donation that goes to his religious community (and to help for the expenses at the retreat house he is at).  But -- I am quite sure that if I wasn't able to he would be fine ... and he is not aware of what I am donating (I leave it for the secretary).

ithinkjesusiscool

It seems that only the rich people in the medieval ages could afford gregorian masses. Am I right or wrong?

Nihil Obstat

It seems that only the rich people in the medieval ages could afford gregorian masses. Am I right or wrong?

What does this question mean? What is a "Gregorian Mass"? How do you mean, to "afford a Mass"? Do you mean affording a stipend for Mass in the middle ages?

ithinkjesusiscool

I understand what you say about stole fees. I don't really like the idea of charging for a Mass intention. If it is wrong to sell blessed sacramentals then charging for Mass must be even more wrong.

And if you can even charge for a Mass intentions then it should be fine with charging for spiritual direction. Mass is after all the sacrifice!   

What does this question mean? What is a "Gregorian Mass"? How do you mean, to "afford a Mass"? Do you mean affording a stipend for Mass in the middle ages?

yes, kings would have been richer and could afford more stipends in the middle ages.

Nihil Obstat

yes, kings would have been richer and could afford more stipends in the middle ages.

Top level executives are richer and can afford more stipends today. That is how money works, but I am not sure how it is relevant in terms of what we are talking about.