An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Kittens?

CountrySteve21

CountrySteve21

So my cat has two kittens which are about 6 weeks old; ones a female and ones a male. The mother cat has gone missing :( The female eats sold foods, but the male kitten will not, he'll only eat dead mouse  and milk and he won't eat regular kitten food. How do you get a kitten to eat solid food? I've tried everything I can think of.

Pax 

Credo in Deum

Have you tried putting some milk on the kitten food?

Edited by Credo in Deum

CountrySteve21

Yes, I've tried putting the food in milk he still don't like it,  I think I'm going to have to get some formula for now.

Pax 

CountrySteve21

luckly the mother cat actually came back, Deo Gratias! But unfortuantly she seems ill ;please pray for her

Pax 

Go to PetCo and get a can of KMS kitten milk, and a bottle! Feed him like a baby for a while! My son had to do that with his kitten. Also they have kitten food in the can as well. You might need to baby this one for awhile!! Also mama cats just don't run off without good reason! If you live near a golf course or near some other wooded area.. Your cat could have been picked off by a coyote or even a owl or hawk!!! Check your local Animal shelter daily and post flyers with mama's picture on it! Good luck! Collared and micro chip would have helped for identification purposes!!!!

maximillion

Sorry to hear about your kitty problems - I am praying that mom and babes are better....

One thing I learned from feeding premie kittens is that it works well if you smear the bottle with momma cat's smell. Rub it on her, especially round her mouth, if she is not well enough to feed them herself then you may need to get the kitty milk.

It could be that the little fella is a bit less mature than his sister, so if you can get milk into him for now don't worry too much - he will wean.

Also, unless your mice are shop bought pre-frozen they will give the cats worms. Don't feed wild food untill they are much older and can be wormed.

You can also try lightly scrambled egg, and Weetabix soaked till it is really soggy (in milk).

Praying..............