An Old School Catholic Message Board

Compare The Cult Of Social Justice To An Orwellian Dystopia

God the Father

God the Father

The parallel struck me when considering the Borg-like behavior of early-college twitter libs studying sociology at prole LACs.

Prohibited words, extra-judicial punishment for expressing controversial ideas (such as agitating until target gets fired from their private work, eg Paula Deen and Firefox guy), obsessive Us vs. Them worldview, complete intolerance of individuals who resist their philosophy, glorification of absurdity (eg promotion of transgenderism)

Quoting a scholar:

"there is a frightening fanatical intensity with which thought itself is "policed" by younger people. it's a big contrast to the hippie era or something, when 'weird' ideas were much more welcome.

now, if you're not doctrinaire, you risk being expelled from The Party for your thoughtcrimes."

veritasluxmea

I agree, but from my experience, so far that crowd is pretty small. Yes, they're crazy, wrong, and it's harmful, but it's not a huge movement or a big cultural thing, at least not yet. I feel like they'll run their course and die out like the hippies. I could be wrong though. I don't know, does anyone think it has a big impact or will have a big impact? I guess the hippie crowd did heavily change our culture, or at least where I grew up. 

blazeingstar

Welcome to my office.  My co-workers are all like that.

I shutup and do my job.  I don't have the requisite social life at work.  

here's some recent things

-one person was called a "moron" and "woman hater" for pointing out that hobby lobby only banned 4 versions of birth control, not all

-I was told that I was a fun-hating prude because I didn't want to listen to songs like Katy Perry's Peacock.

-a very fluffy feel-good quote (which is actually un-Bibilical) was recently asked to be removed from someone's signature because it contained the word God

-I have been told that I am "not serious" about my fiancee (we'll be married in a month) because we don't live together

-I have been nearly denied time off to attend Holy Day Mass because "no one really does that anymore".  HR required proof.

Who knows if they will die out.  I think they're getting worse

This situation is because many of the young leftist radicals of the '60s went on to become tenured professors at much of America's universities, and obtained other positions of power and influence in Square Society (particularly in academia and media), where they were able to indoctrinate later generations.  

The old hippies and the ideals of the radical counterculture have now come to dominate the Establishment, spreading from academia to government and business, and most areas of public life.

It seems that for many of the so-called Millennials, this kind of cultural-left political correctness is as pervasive and unquestioned as the air they breathe.

The self-indulgent lunacy of pc leftist groupthink cannot last forever, and will die out, but I'm afraid we may have to suffer very heavy doses of harsh reality before people wake up.  Politically correct orthodoxy is self-destructive, and when embraced on a large scale, helps weaken and destroy our civilization from within, as it involves a rejection of and intolerance for much of what made us great.

Edited by Socrates

We need a traditionally-minded they/them sort of secret government to quietly oust all of these hippies.  :|

dairygirl4u2c

the cookie cutter conservatives attacking cookie cutter liberals, amusing.

here is an essay i wrote on cookie cutters

a cookie cutter conservative or liberal is someone who believes things because that's what they are suppose to believe to be liberal or conservative. all social issues, all economic issues, down to the party line.

the problem, is that truth is not a party line thing. historically, we have two random parties that exist with an arbitrary array on how the issues are sorted. there's all kinds of historical and ideological ways to create a party, yet people want to adhere to what the current infrastructure is politically. they often don't put much thought into it. it's pamphlet material. it's sad when you can tell about someone by just by reading propaganda and a pamphlet.

and they hardly ever defend the opposing candidates even when merited. no politician is perfect, but no politicians is completely without merit too. yet, the cookie cutter can't find it in themselves to speak favorably of an opposing candidate of their ideology. for example take a random event like the benghazi scandal. there is no ideology here, either a mistake was made or it wasn't. and not to get into the politics of that scandal specifically, but you will never hear the cookie cutter say things to defend the opposing candidate even if they are favorable.

in religion, the problem is cookie cutter fundamentalists who are usually only fundamental only to things that modern fundamentalism has socially been said to espouse. bible is the word of god. non christians can't be saved. salvation by faith. faith along. bible alone. eucharist is figurative. etc etc. the problem is that there's more than one way to be a fundamentalist, even on arrays of issues, but they believe what they are suppose to to fall in line with a preexisting social order.

veritasluxmea

^ Interesting, but off topic. I agree that cookie-cutter conservatives have problems just as cookie-cutter liberals do, but we're not talking about conservatives here. We're talking about liberals. Unless you're saying previous posters are cookie-cutter conservatives? I've looked over this thread for where they aligned themselves to that position, but I can't find it. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

I have definitely felt the group pressure of liberalism in academia as a Hegelian/Marxist. I should say that the capitalist discourse of the abstract concept of a free social monad rooted in utilitarian preference-set logic dominates academia today. Blaspheme this liberal discourse and you risk being viewed as a heretic. So for example, if I deploy Hegelian concepts of being-for-other on the matter of the female body and abortion, I am treated a blasphemer who wants to tyrannize (or colonize) the female body.

Edited by John Ryan

blazeingstar

the cookie cutter conservatives attacking cookie cutter liberals, amusing.

here is an essay i wrote on cookie cutters

Dairy, your entire proposition is crazy.  People have been polarized since the beginning of time.  Read Shakespere....or heck Little House on the Prairie or even the later Chronicles of Anne of Green Gables.

I would suggest you research before you write essays, and perhaps encourage you to study a bit of essay writing and especially persuasive essays.

Here's what I would write if asked to write an essay.

It is human nature to divide.  We've known this since Cain vs Able.  Political leanings have created even deeper divisions among those who should be called together under the banner of one nation.  One of the most poignant moments in literature which shows this occurs in Anne of the Island and shows the hostility between Torrey and Grits and one man who refused to shave his beard.  You can see other divisions over religions, especially the difference between Methodist and Presbyterian, which in synopsis are virtually identical. 

However, today we face a beast of a different nature.  Years ago, most people were self-employed and therefore held very similar world views overall, yet found themselves disagreeing.  Now we have those who work pitted against those who do not and even more so against those who employee.

Liberal theory is troubling to many conservatives because it is deeply embedded in many necessary services especially education, town services and medicine.  They are empowered by government bonds and the feeling that they are backed by strong powers.  Those who are conservative often serve a less public servant role.  They are engineers, small business owners, military and older parents of traditional families.

As industry shifts from a product based industry to a service based one more contact has been made between the two factions with deepingly different ideals.  This leads those who come from a more conservative background to continue to be sniped at by lose with more liberal views as they take power.

Habitually feeling disillusioned and disenfranchised this leads both sides to feel more and more separated from each other.   This leads to real fears as neither education is such a pivotal force for people concerning all involved.

The real question is that while division was emotionally charged in the past, very little came from it without bloodshed.  The civil war, often thought of as simply the end to slavery was a battle of ideals of state's rights vs human rights.   In this age where battles are fought by youtube comment, it will be a wondering thing to see what comes of this division.