An Old School Catholic Message Board

Talk To Me About High School Maths

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

No wait! Come back! What're you running away for? :hehe2:

So you know, I'm unemployed, which as well as being depressing is also deathly boring. I mean really. There are only so many times I can apply for five jobs in one go, go for a walk around my bizarre neighbourhood and clean my sink per day before I'll go even more nuts than I already am. :alien:

So. I know a bit about a few different Maths curricula...but nothing about the US system. This is where you guys - most of you are 'Muricans, don't even try to fib - come in. Help this Dutchie Shore Girl broaden her cultural horizons (yes, Maths is culture).

I think US high school lasts for four years. Right? From 14 - 18 (quick check 18-14 = 4 gdgd PP :like2:).

What topics do you cover in each year? When do you get to, say, the quadratic formula? Differentiation and integration? Combinatorics? Statistics? Probability? What kind of geometrical material do you learn? Which textbooks do schools use? &c. &c. &c.

(I will try and learn how to type Math instead of Maths if it makes you feel more comfortable)

:heart:

Advthanksance!

puellapaschalis

Cheers!

I've two questions:

1) Are Canadian school grades the same as those in the US? E.g., would a child (normally) have his 11th birthday during 5th grade?

2) Is the Canadian curriculum standard in all provinces, or does it differ? (Apart from Quebec, we all know they're bonkers)

(chèrs quebecoises, please don't hate me, thanks)

I'll try to give you a general answer, but in reality: it depends. What state are you in? what district? What school? Is your school ghetto  or full of rich white kids, and if it's a mix, which is the dominating influence? What programs do you do there? have you ever switched schools? If so, when, mid-year or summer? do your parents do work with you outside of school? All those factors, and more, can weigh in on what you're learning when, especially if your homeschooled. (I know homeschoolers who are doing what is considered fifth-grade work in eighth grade because their parents are idiots and don't know how to teach their kids, and homeschoolers who are learning abstract Math concepts at age eight because their parents actually take the time to learn and guide their kids through it themselves.) Also keep in mind the US is currently switching over to a new standard called Common Core which will change things. 

In general,

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

first grade (6 years) is the basic: counting, addition and subtraction, shape names. 

second grade (age 7) is similar, harder problems. 

Third grade (age 8) introduces fractions. 

Fourth grade (9) expands third grade by this time they are estimating, doing word problems, and the like. 

Fifth grade (10) has more heavy stuff and "x+5=8" type of problems. 

MIDDLE SCHOOL

sixth grade (11) has ratios, expressions, and more equation stuff.

seventh grade (12) has more geometry and continues with sixth grade.

eighth grade (13) introduces functions, although I think they also do that in seventh grade.

HIGH SCHOOL (ninth through twelfth grade, 14-18)

This is where it gets (more) tricky. There are a set of standards students are supposed to be taught. When they are taught gets a little muddled, so I won't do it by grade. In HS, students are supposed to learn algebra, functions, modeling, and geometry. Most schools take a break from algebra, do geometry, and then return to algebra. But it all depends on your district and what kind of school you're in. I have heard of some schools doing calculus in high school as a class or extra program, but that's pretty rare. Usually that is not introduced until college. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

Cheers!

I've two questions:

1) Are Canadian school grades the same as those in the US? E.g., would a child (normally) have his 11th birthday during 5th grade?

Nihil is actually Canadian-born, so he should be here to answer such questions.

puellapaschalis

This is super information and I'm grateful, thank you!

I know, though, that I've heard of people doing calculus in their high school years - is that what's called AP?

I'll try to give you a general answer, but in reality: it depends. What state are you in? what district? What school? Is your school ghetto  or full of rich white kids, and if it's a mix, which is the dominating influence? What programs do you do there? have you ever switched schools? If so, when, mid-year or summer? do your parents do work with you outside of school? All those factors, and more, can weigh in on what you're learning when, especially if your homeschooled. (I know homeschoolers who are doing what is considered fifth-grade work in eighth grade because their parents are idiots and don't know how to teach their kids, and homeschoolers who are learning abstract Math concepts at age eight because their parents actually take the time to learn and guide their kids through it themselves.) Also keep in mind the US is currently switching over to a new standard called Common Core which will change things. 

In general,

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

first grade (6 years) is the basic: counting, addition and subtraction, shape names. 

second grade (age 7) is similar, harder problems. 

Third grade (age 8) introduces fractions. 

Fourth grade (9) expands third grade by this time they are estimating, doing word problems, and the like. 

Fifth grade (10) has more heavy stuff and "x+5=8" type of problems. 

MIDDLE SCHOOL

sixth grade (11) has ratios, expressions, and more equation stuff.

seventh grade (12) has more geometry and continues with sixth grade.

eighth grade (13) introduces functions, although I think they also do that in seventh grade.

HIGH SCHOOL (ninth through twelfth grade, 14-18)

This is where it gets (more) tricky. There are a set of standards students are supposed to be taught. When they are taught gets a little muddled, so I won't do it by grade. In HS, students are supposed to learn algebra, functions, modeling, and geometry. Most schools take a break from algebra, do geometry, and then return to algebra. But it all depends on your district and what kind of school you're in. I have heard of some schools doing calculus in high school as a class or extra program, but that's pretty rare. Usually that is not introduced until college. 

Canada counts kindergarden as "first grade" and goes to grade 13 so just do the math down. EG 18ys=Grade 13 Canada=Grade 12 US....of course thats when my uncle graduated, not sure if it still works that way.

puellapaschalis

Canada counts kindergarden as "first grade" and goes to grade 13 so just do the math down. EG 18ys=Grade 13 Canada=Grade 12 US....of course thats when my uncle graduated, not sure if it still works that way.

You assume I know at what age 'kindergarten' happens. Thank you for the link between .ca 13 and .us 12.

You assume I know at what age 'kindergarten' happens. Thank you for the link between .ca 13 and .us 12.

Kindergarten is an optional schooling for children before first grade.

puellapaschalis

Kindergarten is an optional schooling for children before first grade.

Yes, but my point is that I've not been told at what age(s) kindergarten happens. 2? 3? 4? 5?

It's sort of moot as I'm not interested in primary education, and was given a fixed point later in the same post.

Yes, but my point is that I've not been told at what age(s) kindergarten happens. 2? 3? 4? 5?

It's sort of moot as I'm not interested in primary education, and was given a fixed point later in the same post.

Ages as young as four would be in what we call pre-school, but a majority of people do not send their kids to pre-school. I can't quite remember if kindergarten lasts one years or two. I went to it and quite enjoyed it, but keep in mind I learned absolutely nothing, and all I remember about it is playing. :P Regardless, it's one year before first grade starts, which I believe first grade is for 7 year olds, but I honestly don't remember. I was homeschooled and so the grades didn't matter a fraction as much as they do for kids in public and private institutions. The first time in my life that I consciously knew what grade I was in was when I was a freshman.

Edited by FuturePacker

No! There is no province in Canada that does this, and hasn't for quite some time.  Ontario was the only province with Gr. 13 and they still had kindergarten (it counted as first year university in many regards).

I believe most children would turn 11 in Gr. 6.  (Kindergarten is usually must be 5 by December 31 of that year).  

Curriculum is entirely set by provinces - they will vary pretty greatly.  BC is a little behind in sciences and math until Gr. 11, when they start playing major catch-up so that everyone is about equal when they enter university.  

puellapaschalis

No! There is no province in Canada that does this, and hasn't for quite some time.  Ontario was the only province with Gr. 13 and they still had kindergarten (it counted as first year university in many regards).

I believe most children would turn 11 in Gr. 6.  (Kindergarten is usually must be 5 by December 31 of that year).  

Curriculum is entirely set by provinces - they will vary pretty greatly.  BC is a little behind in sciences and math until Gr. 11, when they start playing major catch-up so that everyone is about equal when they enter university.  

This thing about ON being special and having Gr. 13 rings a few bells - but it's been a long time since I was in TO talking to people about their school system :) Thank you for the info!

Kindergarten happens at age 5 and lasts a schoolyear, next year they start First Grade at age 6. 

Just to say again: this is all relative. My sister started kindergarten at age four and did it for two years. Some kids don't go to kindergarten at all. Some kids start school at later ages. Classrooms are very much a mixed bag of ages and abilities.