An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beginning Discernment... Kind Of

Xanti

Thank you for the note, it really means a lot. just one thing... 

Wondering if I was actually called to the religious life or if it was just part of the back and forth habit that I had made.

HAH! Whether intentional or not, that was a good pun  :w00t:

HAH! Whether intentional or not, that was a good pun  :w00t:

Haha yeah I have to be careful when I use that word because it is such a good pun. No body really picks up on that though so you get brownie points for that comment! :hehe2:

Not A Mallard

God is never late, but He's never early, either.

He arrives precisely when he means to.

EDIT:

Oh.

Soooooooo, God is Gandalf?

Sorry, I couldn't resist  :P

Edited by Not A Mallard

Mary+Immaculate<3

Thanks! Everyone has made me feel so welcome

Sorry I feel dumb now. I commented about Gandalf before welcoming you. So, welcome :)

Not A Mallard

[I commented about Gandalf before welcoming you.] Sorry I feel dumb now.

So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.  All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.

Sheesh you guys are so delightful. I'll be praying for all of you as well! And I'll come back and post an update when I get back from the retreat! (I'm leaving on Monday and getting back on Friday)

Sorry I feel dumb now. I commented about Gandalf before welcoming you. So, welcome :)

None taken.  You just have your priorities in order, unlike the rest of the people in this thread  :lol4:

...just kidding thank you everyone!

Whichever way you decide, don't write yourself off.  God will give you whatever you need for whatever he wants.

PhuturePriest

Hello all,

I'm new here, so... hi!  I've been a lurker for a little while, and you guys have a pretty amesome community here.

Background: I'm a 21 YO guy who grew up in Suburbs of City in the US.

Since about sophomore year of high school I've been contemplating and discerning whether or not I'm called to the priesthood/religious life.  That puts it at roughly 6 years of non-serious discernment and thought.  6 years of trying to figure out who I am and who I'm supposed to be. I've convinced myself at one point that I was called to be a priest, at another that I was called to be father (not the priestly kind), and another that I'm supposed to be a monk. Needless to say it's been kind of a confusing ride, but I like to think I've been open to the promptings of the Spirit when they come.

Right now, as a senior at a Catholic University in the US, I'm (hopefully) going to graduate in May 2015 with a degree in Computer Science.  I have a job offer from a Catholic software company (not too many of those... I really lucked out!).  But despite that particular opportunity and its implications of living as a laity, I've decided to delve a little more seriously into discerning my vocation, whether or not it ends up being as a lay person.  

This coming week I'm going on a 4-day directed retreat at a Jesuit retreat house in a nice, quiet area.  I feel like it signifies a turning point in my life.  Instead of me trying to figure it out, I've decided to let God do that, and I'll ask him continually to show me.  Not my will but His.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting here, I just felt compelled to do so, and was hoping maybe to get some encouragement/advice from those here.  So if you have some encouragement or advice, please leave a comment or send a PM!  Thanks for reading, if you made it this far :joecool:

Pax,

Xanti

My advice: Take the job and talk to your parish priest and ask him for spiritual direction. If after having your job for a while you still feel something missing, like what you are doing isn't filling a longing in your soul to do something more, look seriously into the seminary.

I second taking the job for now. Discernment can be expensive, especially if you are discerning with a place far away. Also God does things in His time and not ours.