An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations From Your Spiritual Reading

beatitude

I started rereading The Imitation of Christ the other night. I wanted to make a thread where people could post favourite or particularly thought-provoking passages from their spiritual reading as they come across them, so this way others will benefit and may find books we haven't heard of before.

This is from what I read last night:

"Strive to be patient; bear with the faults and frailties of others, for you, too, have many faults which others have to bear. If you cannot mould yourself as you would wish, how can you expect other people to be entirely to your liking? For we require other people to be perfect, but do not correct our own faults."

When it is a duty in loving to love the people we see, then in loving the actual individual person it is important that one does not substitute an imaginary idea of how we think or could wish that this person should be. The one who does this does not love the person he sees but again something unseen, his own idea or something similar.

Therefore if you want to be perfect in love, strive to fulfill this duty, in loving to love the person one sees, to love him just as you see him, with all his imperfections and weaknesses, to love him as you see him when he has changed completely, when he no longer loves you but perhaps turns away indifferent or turns away to love another, to love him as you see him when he betrays and denies you.

- Works of Love (p. 166, 174)

I love Kierkegaard. He helped me turn to Christ.