An Old School Catholic Message Board

What " America's Ratzinger" Would Like To Ask Pope Francis

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2014/11/16/what-americas-ratzinger-would-like-to-ask-pope-francis/

A very candid and striking interview with Cardinal Francis George.

"The question is raised, why doesn’t [Francis] himself clarify these things? Why is it necessary that apologists have to bear that burden of trying to put the best possible face on it? Does he not realize the consequences of some of his statements, or even some of his actions? Does he not realize the repercussions? Perhaps he doesn’t. I don’t know whether he’s conscious of all the consequences of some of the things he’s said and done that raise these doubts in people’s minds.

That’s one of the things I’d like to have the chance to ask him, if I ever get over there. Do you realize what has happened, just by that very phrase ‘Who am I to judge?’ How it’s been used and misused? It’s very misused, because he was talking about someone who has already asked for mercy and been given absolution whom he knows well. That’s entirely different than talking to somebody who demands acceptance rather than asking for forgiveness. It’s constantly misused.

...I don’t know Pope Francis well enough. I certainly respect him as pope, but there isn’t yet an understanding of, ‘What are you doing here?’"

Oremus Pro Invicem

I see nothing wrong with his questions and I think more bishops should be doing this. The image that comes to mind is Paul going up to Peter and saying, "so...what are you doing?" Plus I don't see Francis as one who would be offended by this and I hope he meets with him.

PhuturePriest

He wasn't elected, so maybe he should keep his mouth shut.

At no point in Church history has questioning what a Pope is doing/saying (Especially if it is causing mass confusion) been considered bad. It has always been considered healthy, and this should not stop just because it's 2014 and a lot of people like this Pope. I do not dislike Pope Francis, I, like many other prominent and respected members of the clergy, have been confused at some of the things he's said, and wish for he himself to clarify and elaborate. It is not asking much to ask someone to explain what they mean if what they said has caused confusion, especially if he is in the Chair of Peter.

He wasn't elected, so maybe he should keep his mouth shut.

Well, he was one of the ELECTORS. 

Second, how would you like it if you were doing a difficult job and your boss undermined your efforts (even unintentionally)?  Because that is what happened last year when Illinois narrowly legalized same-sex marriage - Pope Francis' "who am I to judge" comment was used as "cover" by "Catholic" lawmakers to justify their votes in favor of the legislation.

Edited by Norseman82

I guess I'm tired of the double standard. When Benedict told bishops to make the Latin mass available, and bishops complained, all the phatraddies freaked out saying bishops had no right to object.

I guess I'm tired of the double standard. When Benedict told bishops to make the Latin mass available, and bishops complained, all the phatraddies freaked out saying bishops had no right to object.

The difference is that the current movement in the Church is seeking to overturn 2000 years of infallible dogma.

But anyway, I don't mind double-standards. The wrong srgument is not on an equity with the right argument, even by virtue of someone professing it.

The difference is that the current movement in the Church is seeking to overturn 2000 years of infallible dogma.

But anyway, I don't mind double-standards. The wrong srgument is not on an equity with the right argument, even by virtue of someone professing it.

The problem is the traddies on phatmass think that they know all the right answers. I'm tired of being treated like I'm not a real catholic or not a good enough catholic because I don't agree with something they believe. I'm tired of my phatmass friends disappearing because they are tired of the fight. I'm tired of hate mail when I post in the scholars section.

Thank you! My goodness.

PhuturePriest

Bishops could object to Pope Benedict telling them to make the Latin Mass available in their dioceses if they wanted to. The difference is that Pope Benedict told them to, and they were supposed to comply. They had no right not to, and no just reason other than "I just don't like the Extraordinary Form." It's a matter of discipline and obedience, as well as unjust bigotry towards the Traditionalist community.

However, that isn't even slightly comparable to the current situation, where the Pope is saying things that are confusing loyal Catholics and the media alike. If the Pope says something which is causing harm and confusion, we have a right to ask him what he means by his words, and he has a responsibility to do answer. He is the Successor of Saint Peter, and it's his responsibility to help the Church, and if something he said accidentally caused harm (Which I have no doubt that he didn't intend for it to do so), then he has a responsibility to clarify and elaborate so that the Church isn't thrown into a void of confusion and speculation over what the Pope might've meant.

Edited by PhuturePriest