An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants Of The Sacred Cross

BarbTherese

Putting this thread into open mic as this community seems to have approval in some diocese in Australia, but not in others it seems.  I have followed them for some years interested in their development. I did look into them with interest even seriously for a very short time and quite some years ago but decided against them for myself personally. There has been silence on their website since 2011 and I am wondering if anyone knows what is happening.  I haven't been able to find anything through Google either.

They are an ecumenical community.

While their semi-contemplative division is open to single women only (seems to have 'folded' due to lack of funding and has been so for some years now), their active division is open to married women also, all of whom wear religious habits.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I was discerning with the SSC's in 2011 - 2012, but for personal reasons decided not to take further. The fact that I was in NZ, put me under the Australian Provincial's guidance. I received tremendous support from her, and e-mails of encouragement from their Foundress. However, my Parish Priest was less than enthusiastic, and advised me to go elsewhere, if I continued in my quest to become a postulant. I was horrified to say the least! They definitely had Vatican approval.

I too have wondered at the silence on their website, but have no information as to why this should be. I understand that vocations to the SSC's are flourishing in the US, but in the Southern Hemisphere, I'm no longer sure. Maybe someone out there knows? If so, would you mind sharing?

Insofar as I am aware, the SSC do not have official Vatican approval.  They certainly have words of encouragement from some in The Vatican and this appears on their website, but this is not official approval from Rome.

Insofar as some bishops and priests and Church membership generally are concerned, what I have experienced is general reluctance to consider them favourably due to the fact that there is considerable resistance to married women in religious habits.

I too am very interested in what is happening with the SSC.

Certainly, if their charism is a work of The Holy Spirit, they will continue to grow.  However, history does tell us that some charisms of The Holy Spirit have met with opposition even persecution from either within and without ......... some both.  Even persecution from The Church.  Initially certainly the SSC were very active - but now silence, absolute silence it seems and over some 3 years (Advent 2011 to now).