An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here's A Moderately Interesting Article For You

PhuturePriest

veritasluxmea

I skimmed it. The main point of the article seems to be that fathers need to raise their sons to be courageous in defending the truth (such as being pro-life or Christian) and not stay quiet because they are afraid. I agree with that, especially in a pro-life context. It's basic Christian virtue. This article is sex-specific and is discussing the incorrect use of effeminsim in men. I'm ok with that too.

What I think could upset some people is the use of the term effeminate in a negative light. Here's my two cents on it. The effeminism he is discussing in the article is a twisted effeminism. It is in a negative sense because it's misplaced and is being used in the wrong context- it is being used incorrectly and it is a fault here. I would also disprove of a woman behaving that way in the situations the author described. Men should be courageous when they need to be courageous, women should be courageous when they need to as well. In the same light, there are instances when everyone should be more effeminate, or display some softer traits, however you want to put it. Basically, my point is, acting effeminatly when the situation calls for a different response should be discouraged, in everyone. Effeminism is more called for in some situations and not in others.

This reminds me of quote I saw on Bad Catholic once. 

When I pray I am bridal. St. Joan of Arc was manly as all get out. Gentleness in men may rightly be described as feminine. Unstoppable drive in women may rightly be called masculine. Femininity is not closed off to men, nor masculinity to women. Men and women do not live in isolated spheres of existence — they live in spheres that teach each other to rise to the fullness of their personhood.

franciscanheart

Our best bet is to ignore him, Ash. There's no reason to engage his attempts at button-pushing. (Only responding because it's already sitting at the top of Open Mic.)

Oremus Pro Invicem

I'll just let this little bombshell here.

http://thosecatholicmen.com/how-we-can-prevent-our-sons-from-being-effeminate/

Not much of a bomb, but I like the article and I believe there is a problem with effeminacy in men. One priest linked this to the unrestricted use/content of things like music and movies. It was a very interesting talk on a YouTube channel called VideoSancto, but I forget the title; probably "The influence of Music"?

In anycase one thing I would point out is that St. Sir Thomas was silent on the matter of Henry's marriage and that it was his silence which was his protest and which inevitably sealed his fate. This of course does not mean we should be indifferent with silence but that we should be aware of our surroundings and know when silence is appropriate. Lastly the movie "A Man for All Seasons" is an excellent movie!

PhuturePriest

Not much of a bomb, but I like the article and I believe there is a problem with effeminacy in men. One priest linked this to the unrestricted use/content of things like music and movies. It was a very interesting talk on a YouTube channel called VideoSancto, but I forget the title; probably "The influence of Music"?

In anycase one thing I would point out is that St. Sir Thomas was silent on the matter of Henry's marriage and that it was his silence which was his protest and which inevitably sealed his fate. This of course does not mean we should be indifferent with silence but that we should be aware of our surroundings and know when silence is appropriate. Lastly the movie "A Man for All Seasons" is an excellent movie!

Favorite movie of all time, hands-down.

Oremus Pro Invicem

Favorite movie of all time, hands-down.

Have you watched, "Becket", "The Cardinal", "Assisi Underground", or "The Scarlet and The Black"? If not you should.

PhuturePriest

Have you watched, "Becket", "The Cardinal", "Assisi Underground", or "The Scarlet and The Black"? If not you should.

I haven't had the opportunity, unfortunately. I plan to as soon as possible, however.

PhuturePriest

your use of the word "however" is redundant. Tighten it up fickle face.

I like the word and use it often.

I will, however, consider your post and ponder on it.

One priest linked this to the unrestricted use/content of things like music and movies.

A thought that occurred to me last night is how much of this is environmental, due to the increase of estrogen in the water supply due to birth control pill use?  I've read that some male fish have started growing female organs.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMN0SO3SHZ8