An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Tiny Bit of News

totustuus20

​I hope I get the APPLICATION soon! haha there are still so many steps between where I am and where the convent is. The VD thinks all will go well, lets just pray the Postulant Mistress agrees!

​Congratulations on that step.  If you don't mind could you describe the application process of that particular community a bit more? 

Spem in alium

​Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma!

One of my university supervisors is from that congregation! They sound wonderful.

totustuus20

​Congratulations on that step.  If you don't mind could you describe the application process of that particular community a bit more? 

​Thank you! Their application process seems to be pretty easy thus far, but I haven't gotten too far into it yet. You write a letter to the postulant mistress explaining your interest in the community and why you believe you have a vocation to their community. When she gets the letter, she mails you an application which I hear is quite extensive, but I don't know quite how extensive it is because I haven't received mine yet. After that, you send it back to the Postulant Mistress and she prays about it and decides whether or not to admit you (I'd imagine the Mother General also looks at the application, but I am not sure). She then lets you know and after that point, if you are accepted you go back to Alma for psychological evaluation. The results of the psych eval do not change whether or not you are accepted, it just gives both you, and the community a heads up as to potential problems that may come up during formation. After that, they send you a box of material and you spend your summer making (or getting help making) postulant dresses and preparing to enter!

I love the idea of making all the clothes in the summer before you enter! I think I would have a meltdown doing it (can't sew to save my life) but the IDEA is delightful! :)

I love the idea of making all the clothes in the summer before you enter! I think I would have a meltdown doing it (can't sew to save my life) but the IDEA is delightful! :)

​They also make their own habits and learn to sew during postulancy! I know the Servants of the Lord do this as well in order to ensure that women are well-rounded and able to manage the upkeep of their habits as they wear.  It's a smart idea to avoid having to outsource to a seamstress...

totustuus20

​They also make their own habits and learn to sew during postulancy! I know the Servants of the Lord do this as well in order to ensure that women are well-rounded and able to manage the upkeep of their habits as they wear.  It's a smart idea to avoid having to outsource to a seamstress...

​It is also a part of their poverty-- it would be much easier for the sisters to buy their own habits or have someone else make their habits, but they make their own. Most of postulancy is spent making the full habit with white veil for the novitiate. 

​It is also a part of their poverty-- it would be much easier for the sisters to buy their own habits or have someone else make their habits, but they make their own. Most of postulancy is spent making the full habit with white veil for the novitiate. 

​I wonder if that affects how you experience postulancy? I might be distracted constantly looking ahead. Then again maybe that is the point, since postulancy is a preparation time?

totustuus20

​I wonder if that affects how you experience postulancy? I might be distracted constantly looking ahead. Then again maybe that is the point, since postulancy is a preparation time?

​I feel like it could be distracting, but they only work on it a few times per week so I don't think it would get super distracting. I agree though that that is the point, preparing for the novitiate.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

If I had our postulants-to-be sew their jumpers I think they would enter with just a blouse and a slip!

totustuus20

If I had our postulants-to-be sew their jumpers I think they would enter with just a blouse and a slip!

​Haha that might be true. If you have limited sewing abilities prior to entering they put you in contact with orders near you who might be able to help you with the sewing. I think that is a little better!

• 2 weeks later...
totustuus20

I submitted my application, and actually heard back from the Postulant Mistress a few days ago. I am able to go ahead with the psych evaluation. I think this means I am another step closer!

totustuus20

Do they send you a pattern for making postulant dresses?

​I would think so because they all end up looking the same, but i am really not sure.