An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do atheists do over Easter?

oremus1

In some countries people get a public holiday for Good Friday and even Easter Monday. The stores all close for Easter Sunday. What do atheists do?

I mean, at Christmas atheists sing carols, go to mass, see family, celebrate thanksgiving, drink mulled wine and eat turkey and Lebkuchen. they put up Tannenbaum in their houses and big lights and holly adventskranz wrethes. . it is a social occasion for many. some even do good works for the poor. they have big parties at work. they have many urban legends to celebrate with children like the Weihnachtsmann, Elf on Shelf, and Adventskalendar - a special colander with small sweet treats for the children and reinders and dogs for each day. The Christmas Ghost comes on Heiligabend and fills the shoes with presents.

But what do they do to mark Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday and Easter Monday?

puellapaschalis

I think the ones I'm friends with sleep in, finish eating the chocolate, or (depending on the weather) go out and enjoy the sunshine or something.

I mean, there are some traditions like the Easter bonfire and baking the Gebackene Osterlamm (lamb shaped special easter cake - very delicious) which don't really make much sense without reference to the Christian meaning of Easter.

We have also other Easter traditions like das Osterrad (rolling lighted hay down the hill), der Ostermarkt (market for shopping ), easter egg delivery with der Osterhase, der Osterfuchs (bunny and fox etc delivery of special chocolate eggs). There are special Easter games like Ostereierschieben and Eierschibbeln with rolling egg down the hills, Zwänzgerle ( throwing coins at hard boil egg), Ostereierditschen (egg fighting)  etc. I also heard in America they also have Osterbaum - easter tree. like Christmas tree but with eggs, and also colourful dyed eggs for breakfast

But do they not wonder what fire and egg has to do with Easter? Do they think it is to do with farms and chickens? How do they explain easter to their childrens?

What do Christians do for Ramadan?

This is like asking what people who aren't  Bob's friends do on Bob's birthday.

That is true. But entire western nations do not generally have public holiday for Eid or Ramadan, whereas Europe and America often have for Easter.

Also, because many Atheist celebrate Christmas, I was wondering if they celebrate Easter Triduum somehow. Some catholic only go to church at Christmas and Easter. I don't know any atheists that well, so I am not sure. I only know a couple of them. but they will be offended if I ask I think

I mean, there are some traditions like the Easter bonfire and baking the Gebackene Osterlamm (lamb shaped special easter cake - very delicious) which don't really make much sense without reference to the Christian meaning of Easter.

We have also other Easter traditions like das Osterrad (rolling lighted hay down the hill), der Ostermarkt (market for shopping ), easter egg delivery with der Osterhase, der Osterfuchs (bunny and fox etc delivery of special chocolate eggs). There are special Easter games like Ostereierschieben and Eierschibbeln with rolling egg down the hills, Zwänzgerle ( throwing coins at hard boil egg), Ostereierditschen (egg fighting)  etc. I also heard in America they also have Osterbaum - easter tree. like Christmas tree but with eggs, and also colourful dyed eggs for breakfast

But do they not wonder what fire and egg has to do with Easter? Do they think it is to do with farms and chickens? How do they explain easter to their childrens?

​Those sound like cool traditions, but they sound kind of rural and European. I don't think I've ever heard of Americans rolling hay down a hill lol. Easter eggs, yeah, never heard of an Easter tree though.

​Those sound like cool traditions, but they sound kind of rural and European. I don't think I've ever heard of Americans rolling hay down a hill lol.

​well until today I had never heard of  Osterbaums (Easter tree). I think they are American. Check this out. Pretty cool!! http://www.eastertrees.com/types-of-easter-trees/ look at the biblical one, hanging different ones for each part of lent!

KnightofChrist

​Those sound like cool traditions, but they sound kind of rural and European. I don't think I've ever heard of Americans rolling hay down a hill lol. Easter eggs, yeah, never heard of an Easter tree though.

​Maybe it's a rural country thing. We did have the hay rolling, and a easter egg trees growing up.

​Maybe it's a rural country thing. We did have the hay rolling, and a easter egg trees growing up.

​I want an Easter Tree! How does it work?

puellapaschalis

Off topic alert:

In the UK there's this thing where once a year people roll great big enormous cheeses down this great big enormous hill (somewhere in Gloucestershire?). And then run down the great big enormous hill after them. Or they did, I'm not sure if Elf 'n Saftay have got to them or not.

Off topic alert:

In the UK there's this thing where once a year people roll great big enormous cheeses down this great big enormous hill (somewhere in Gloucestershire?). And then run down the great big enormous hill after them. Or they did, I'm not sure if Elf 'n Saftay have got to them or not.

​WOW cheese rolling has got to be the BEST. where does the giant cheese come from? does it smell really bad? what do they do with it after? what does it mean? the Osterrad brings good luck for the harvest. Is it the same for the cheese? Good Luck Cheese???

That is so funny. Now I can see what atheists do at Easter. Oh dear. LOL

KnightofChrist

​I want an Easter Tree! How does it work?

​We just used some string and the plastic Easter eggs. Tie some string to the tree limbs, tie a knot at the end of the string that hangs off, clamp the Easter eggs on the end of the string. The knot helps it from sliding off. It's super easy.

puellapaschalis

​WOW cheese rolling has got to be the BEST. where does the giant cheese come from? does it smell really bad? what do they do with it after? what does it mean? the Osterrad brings good luck for the harvest. Is it the same for the cheese? Good Luck Cheese???
That is so funny. Now I can see what atheists do at Easter. Oh dear. LOL

​It's called cheese rolling: link.

Then there's the tar barrels thing in Devon, which I suppose as a Catholic I shouldn't be in favour of, being as it is something on Guy Fawkes...but then it's not connected to Guy Fawkes itself, so wa-hey! I've a friend who's eligible to take part, though I'm not sure if he actually has done.