An Old School Catholic Message Board

Diocesan Priests

John Paul

Hi fellow members!

I had a few questions about the diocesan priests.What is their daily schedule like ? and What prayers are they are required to pray daily.

NOTE:I know their days vary.I just want to know what it may look like.

Edited by John Paul

Normally, it would include saying morning Mass. They're required to pray the divine office, but it's nothing like the full liturgy of the hours. I don't know exactly which hours/readings/ prayers they have to say, but others on here will know. 

Other than that, there are no real patterns. Some work in parishes, and that might include funerals, hospital visits, home visits, catechism in school (if the parish has a school), RCIA classes, and endless round of meetings (evenings for parochial work, days for diocesan meetings). They usually take off one week day per week. 

But I also know diocesan priests who live in a parish, yet they have basically a day-job. They run the diocesan office of education, or the Catholic Cemetery Society, or they're principal of a high school, or they teach in the seminary, or anything else you can think of. 

It's the very definition of "other duties. as deemed necessary." 

NadaTeTurbe

We have a very very very introvert priest in my parish. The answer to your question : with a lof of difficulty :( 

RafaelCordero

Normally, it would include saying morning Mass. 

​Sorry Luigi, but no--I could not disagree with you more.  Sadly, when I lived in the U.S., I met MANY priests who did not say a daily Mass (and of those who did, it was not always in the morning).  

If you are visiting the middle west, good luck finding a Saturday morning Mass, even for First Saturday!

totustuus20

​Sorry Luigi, but no--I could not disagree with you more.  Sadly, when I lived in the U.S., I met MANY priests who did not say a daily Mass (and of those who did, it was not always in the morning).  

If you are visiting the middle west, good luck finding a Saturday morning Mass, even for First Saturday!

​Respectfully, to the best of my knowledge, priests must celebrate mass daily. If their church does not have daily mass, they celebrate mass privately.

truthfinder

Canonically, they have to say the office every day, and are strongly urged to say Mass daily, but I do not believe that they *must* - although many will say Mass privately. 

RafaelCordero

No, Canon 904, recommends that a priest say daily Mass http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P38.HTMCanon 904  Recommended or not, talk to some priests and you will hear that, recommended or not, MANY American priests do not celebrate Mass every day.  As far as private Masses go, you will hear MANY priests speak against this practice.  

In case you hadn't noticed, there is a HUGE gap between what Church documents say and what actually happens on the ground, sad to say.

IgnatiusofLoyola

No, Canon 904, recommends that a priest say daily Mass http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P38.HTMCanon 904  Recommended or not, talk to some priests and you will hear that, recommended or not, MANY American priests do not celebrate Mass every day.  As far as private Masses go, you will hear MANY priests speak against this practice.

In case you hadn't noticed, there is a HUGE gap between what Church documents say and what actually happens on the ground, sad to say.

​Forgive me for asking what is probably a naive question.

What is the criticism of private Mass by priests who speak against it? Thanks.

puellapaschalis

​Forgive me for asking what is probably a naive question.

What is the criticism of private Mass by priests who speak against it? Thanks.

​Being blunt, that Mass with no congregation is near, or effectively, worthless.

DeoOptimoMaximo

​Being blunt, that Mass with no congregation is near, or effectively, worthless.

​We should remember, that the liturgy contains both vertical and horizontal elements.  Holy Mother Church has always encouraged her priests to celebrate Mass daily, although it is not, strictly speaking, obligatory.  But I would be concerned with one who doesn't celebrate the Sacred Mysteries on a regular basis.  Interestingly enough, upon Diaconate ordination and renewed again at Priestly ordination, the candidate promises to pray the Liturgy of the Hours daily... there is no mention of the daily Mass.  There is nothing explicitly wrong with private Masses, for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is never worthless- it is always efficacious.  Even in private Masses, the Church recommends at least having a server present, to represent the community.  Nevertheless, Mass is being offered for various needs and intentions as a re-presentation of Christ's holy sacrifice on the Cross. :)  

DeoOptimoMaximo

​Man, that's a pretty comfy life. But I don't see how an introvert could do it.

​Interestingly enough, the majority of candidates for the priesthood, in my experience, have somewhat introverted natures.  I suppose this is helpful for contemplation and a propensity for reflection.  This can be seen as gifts for sure, but also the man will have to work a bit harder to put himself forward in very active situations.  In one sense, this is why seminary formation is so long, as it gives the Holy Spirit and the formation team time to work on stretching the candidate and developing in him, the skills necessary for effective ministry.  

There is no one precise mold for diocesan spirituality/ministry, and that is a beautiful gift in many ways, as it allows the uniqueness of the call to blossom in different ways in different men.

Pax!

​Interestingly enough, the majority of candidates for the priesthood, in my experience, have somewhat introverted natures.  I suppose this is helpful for contemplation and a propensity for reflection.  This can be seen as gifts for sure, but also the man will have to work a bit harder to put himself forward in very active situations.  In one sense, this is why seminary formation is so long, as it gives the Holy Spirit and the formation team time to work on stretching the candidate and developing in him, the skills necessary for effective ministry.  

There is no one precise mold for diocesan spirituality/ministry, and that is a beautiful gift in many ways, as it allows the uniqueness of the call to blossom in different ways in different men.

Pax!

​DOM: Are you Catholic clergy? If so, Phatmass has a special label for you that you can get by emailing the Mediators of Meh. That way, when people read one of your posts, they'll know they're reading the post of a priest (so, somewhat more credible than the rest of us on certain topics!).

BTW: Welcome to Phatmass! :)

He is a seminarian has been posting since I think 2012 just he doesn't post as often as we do.;)

​DOM: Are you Catholic clergy? If so, Phatmass has a special label for you that you can get by emailing the Mediators of Meh. That way, when people read one of your posts, they'll know they're reading the post of a priest (so, somewhat more credible than the rest of us on certain topics!).

BTW: Welcome to Phatmass! :)