An Old School Catholic Message Board

Habits and Franciscans

John Paul

What was the original habit of the Poor Clares ? What was  the Daily Schedule of a Franciscan in the 1200's?

Ancilla Domini

I don't know what the daily schedule was, but here is a picture of Saint Clare's habit, which is on display in the Church of St. Clare in Assisi.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

BarbTherese

I don't know what the daily schedule was, but here is a picture of Saint Clare's habit, which is on display in the Church of St. Clare in Assisi.

​Like the habit!  Thank you for sharing.

​did she wear a wimple?

You might try looking that up on the Internet yourself. I mean, if your mom lets you go to pages other than Phatmass. 

Even if you don't look it up yourself, you might try thanking the people who posted answers to your question. 

Even if you don't thank people for posting answers, would Saint Clare be less of a saint if she didn't wear a wimple? 

Edited by Luigi

NadaTeTurbe

(disclaimer : i am studying history of costume)

Wimple, in this time, were wear by all women . So, yes, it is probable that Clare wear some kind of wimple, but not because she was a nun, but because it was the normal thing to do. BUT in this time and place, if i recall well my class, wimple were just a very flexible piece of clothe that women wear and then fix the veil on it. 

http://damien.jullemier.pagesperso-orange.fr/img/claire-fra-angelico.gif this is a good representation of the different kind of wimple in this time. Sainte Claire is fourth from the left. 

veritasluxmea

You might try looking that up on the Internet yourself. I mean, if your mom lets you go to pages other than Phatmass. 

Even if you don't look it up yourself, you might try thanking the people who posted answers to your question. 

Even if you don't thank people for posting answers, would Saint Clare be less of a saint if she didn't wear a wimple? 

Ok... I see where you're coming from but I wonder why you chose to use that tone. 

First of all, you're talking to someone really young. I mean really really young.  It's more exciting to actually talk to people about it than google search... and learning how to find exactly what you're looking for on google is a skill. One that comes with time. idk, here's what I would have said: 

"Actually you may find better and quicker answers if you try google first- you might even find the website of her original order or pictures from a museum. and if you're able to find a good answer the thread won't take up as much space here :) " 

JP always has been respectful towards people asking questions and does thank people. He doesn't post that often so wait. 

I'm not sure if this is what you meant- but it sounds like you are suggesting JP was criticizing St Clare for wearing a wimple (or lack of). I read his question as simply wondering if it was part of the habit or not. Actually when I first saw the picture that's the first thing I wondered too, if there was a veil or not! Not because I cared if she had a veil or think veils are mandatory or something, just wondering. I always assumed she did. 

In the end, if they just ignore you, block the user or skip it. idk just... be gentle everyone. 

Ancilla Domini

​did she wear a wimple?

​Yes, she did wear a wimple. I don't remember her wimple being preserved in the church, but there are icons from around her time period (well, a little later) depicting her with a wimple, such as this one, painted in c. 1320:

That was what I was asking whether she wore one or not to be rude.I did see some pictures even her locks of hair cut by Francis.I really like Phatmass and so I like asking on here than looking thinks up.

​Yes,I do go on other websites and I try to remember to thank people.

​Yes, she did wear a wimple. I don't remember her wimple being preserved in the church, but there are icons from around her time period (well, a little later) depicting her with a wimple, such as this one, painted in c. 1320:

​Thanks Ancilla Domini and Veritas.

NadaTeTurbe

​THe wimple were made in a fabric very fragile, that's why you don't find them in a museum... 
Representing her like this is a choice by the artist to show her simplicity, poverty, and freedom. Usually, the wimple of the good/rich lady were ride up (is this the good word ?) on the chin, and then, they would fix the veil. If you were rich, you could use little thing who will increase the size of your veil of 10, 15 cm ! This is a very beautiful picture.