An Old School Catholic Message Board

increase in entrants in the UK

Yaatee

truthfinder

At 717, you'd be starting to approach numbers not quite like the 50s, but but of the upswing from around the 20s. 

IgnatiusofLoyola

Trying to calculate the proportions based on the number of entrants is complicated by the fact that it's likely that not all entrants to Communities in the UK were from the UK. Unfortunately I don't think we know if there were entrants from other countries, and if so, how many.

But, even without trying to calculate the proportions, it's still good news!

...so here's a link to that "45" number.

http://www.ukvocation.org/nuns-on-the-rise

I think that it's 45 entrants, not 45 first vows.  Big difference.

...that ibenedictines.org is a blog maintained by a new small community of very intellectual OSB nuns in the UK, here:

http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/

...now in a beautiful looking converted barn in Herefordshire.

Sister Leticia

Yes, it's been 45 entrants all along - the only mention of vows was in newspapers which - in their ignorance - said 45 women had "taken holy vows". But this is still the highest number of entrants for 25 years, and only a decade after barely 10 women entered in a year, so it's worth celebrating. It's also worth celebrating because I believe that for each of those 45 women there are 2, 3 or more others who are at different stages of enquiring or discerning - and others who might be encouraged by this news and take the first step.

I know some of the entrants, and know about some of the others via knowing sisters in their orders. A few of them have entered from Ireland, which isn't England, but in their order Britain and Ireland are one province, and/or the woman was already living and working in the UK. I think an American has entered with one order and a Canadian somewhere else (?) but I don't know if they were already living here or came over specially. So some of them might return to their home countries after their formation, but I think the majority entered to be part of an English-based convent or province, and expect to remain here (unless they're part of a missionary order, in which case they could be sent anywhere!)

But the important thing, though, while celebrating, is not to get seduced by these numbers, into relaxing our work and prayer for vocations. If anything, this should encourage us to pray harder and make more effort to build networks and meet more discerners and potentially interested young women and offer them the support and accompaniment they need.