An Old School Catholic Message Board

Getting rid of the Lame Board

dUSt

Traffic is down. No need to drive on separate streets anymore if there's no cars on either one.

I don't post much in here, because it seems to me the Lame Board is mostly people's personal threads. Friends meet in here like in a chat room. That being said, I think it's a bad idea to get rid of the Lame Board. There's been too much change too fast on Phatmass. It's been like the implementation of Vatican II around here. And look what that caused.

Traffic is down BECAUSE of the changes. I know because I've spoken to a bunch of people who no longer come here, and they told me why they left. The Lame Board is lame, yes, but long-time members of Phatmass post regularly here, and then, I presume, also wander to the other boards, but only because they logged on to chat with their friends in their personal threads in the Lame Board. If you delete this, they're not going to log on anymore, and then you'll have even less traffic and even more of a changed population that will bring God knows what. The largely ignored, unmoderated nasty-trad invasion since the changeover to Wordpress is already driving some members away. We need to keep a balance of "types" on Phatmass, and driving away more long-standing members isn't going to help that.

On the other hand, if you move this to the Open Mic, you'll flood the Open Mic with a bunch of personal threads that other people will have to sift through to get to "stuff that matters". That'll be annoying and then those people won't log on as much (or at all). If you respond to that by not allowing these threads to exist at all and simply deleting them whenever they get started, the people who want them will feel like they're being censored and have no place on Phatmass. So then why would they stay?

My point is: There are two very different groups of Phatmassers, and the Lame Board preserves the balance by maintaining a "pure" space for both of them. The more serious types have their space in the Debate Table. The more goofy types have their space in here. We all meet in the Open Mic. The Lame Board thus serves not only as a counterbalance and a "home" for those of a very different personality than the other Boards attract, and has the important purpose of being a "dumping ground" for all the stuff that most Phatmassers don't want to read, but that some very loyal Phatmassers wouldn't come here without. I think it's important that it stay.

dUSt: There's been too much change, too fast. I don't even recognize a lot of Phatmass anymore. And I'm not talking about the graphic design or the page layouts. We have totally different people in here now, and we need some continuity from long-time members. I see already in the VS that the long-time members are having to step in to explain to the swarm of newcomers what the "culture" of the VS is supposed to be like. If we weren't in there, it'd be nasty in the VS right now, and the Mediators of Meh would have a lot more work to do. The more long-term members leave, the more this will be a problem in ALL the Boards.

Why don't you run analytics on people's "paths" through Phatmass to see if what I say is true: Do people really tend to log in to one forum first, then, only after having spent some time in their favorite Board, wander over to the Open Mic and wherever else? If that's so, dropping any Board is likely going to lose us members.

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

Traffic is down. No need to drive on separate streets anymore if there's no cars on either one.

What about camels?

4363796230_cb21b474b0_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Please don't :( I like it here. It's a place you can go to get away from the serious threads and just have fun. Please keep it.

Edit: oh. Would help if I read all the pages to this thread...

Edited by Selah

• 2 weeks later...