An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obedience: Jesus's last words & Mary's fiat

oremus1

Jesus last words: Luke 23:46 “Jesus called out with a loud voice, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.'
Mary's fiat: Luke 1: 38
"Be it done unto me according to Thy Word."

How do these examples of obedience differ?
Somehow it seems the obedience of Mary is more of a passive surrender rather than an active committing.
Can anyone explain?
In particular, how do these models of obedience relate to entering of religious life.

I am not asking what is obedience, or how are they the same. They are clearly different but I am having problem articulating how.

MarysLittleFlower

Jesus last words: Luke 23:46 “Jesus called out with a loud voice, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.'
Mary's fiat: Luke 1: 38
"Be it done unto me according to Thy Word."

How do these examples of obedience differ?
Somehow it seems the obedience of Mary is more of a passive surrender rather than an active committing.
Can anyone explain?
In particular, how do these models of obedience relate to entering of religious life.

I am not asking what is obedience, or how are they the same. They are clearly different but I am having problem articulating how.

Both Jesus and Mary said Fiat to the Divine Will. I would maybe look also at how Our Lord prayed in the Garden and accepted the Divine Will :) the wording is similar to Mary's because Mary followed Her Son. I'm sorry I can't think of a difference except that Jesus is Divine and has both the Divine and Human Wills in His Nature... Whereas Our Lady is fully human and is united to the Divine Will by grace. We can emulate her in this :) regarding religious life, we can give God our human wills and ask to do only His in everything. As religious especially, it is important to seek to have no self will and deny Jesus nothing... He wants this of His consecrated souls. However, holiness for everyone is found in doing God's Will and we should all seek to renounce our wills and do His instead :)

Again we see a wilfulness about the obedience - an active renunciation - which we do not see with Mary

"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18"No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."…John 10:17

MarysLittleFlower

Again we see a wilfulness about the obedience - an active renunciation - which we do not see with Mary

"For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18"No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."…John 10:17

What do you mean by active renunciation? Im having trouble understanding the question... I see submission to the Divine Will in both? Jesus' submission of His human will is also free... And He laid down His life freely too. Our Lady consented to be the Mother of God, to follow only God's Will, and to share in His suffering.