An Old School Catholic Message Board

Taking A Break From Science

So the past year or so I've been learning about consciousness, quantum physics, the anthropic principal and things like that. Interesting stuff and it immediately brings God into the discussion. Last night I finally got into the other sides of the arguments. Ouch. It weakened my faith briefly. Just thinking about how huge the universe really is (uncomprehendable) and how old it is. And sure the science on this stuff is great when the person is saying this proves God fine tuned the universe ect ect. But the other side is not so good to hear when you seek those voices out. Life and the universe is pretty trippy. It would be even infinitely more trippy if this was all an accident and there was no loving Creator. My faith is still very strong. Although I think a much needed break from science is at hand. The acceptable way to believe in God is like a little kid. I need to get back to that. It's amesome when intelligent people make arguments for God using science. But it's a not the best feeling when other intelligent people use science to show how God is not there. So I will be taking a break from both sides and getting back to just believing simply like a child. Thanks for letting me share.

Edited by Guest

Lilllabettt

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”

― Werner Heisenberg, creator of the theory of quantum mechanics.

Maybe you should look at the Catholic scientists and whatnot.  Modern Science wants you to believe that catholics burned real scientists at the stake but really they did more to further modern science than most other religions.

Also I don't know if I agree with you on modern science. Perhaps some aspects of it feel that way but not all.

Edited by Guest

Also I don't know if I agree with you on modern science. Perhaps some aspects of it feel that way but not all.

Josh, 

I may surprise you, but....

To know something, is to know "who", "what", "where", and "why".  Physical science can do a fine job of reasoning "what" and "where", but raises the question and cannot answer "who" or "why". The last one can only be answered yourself, no science proof needed.  

Why does a rainbow (refracted light waves) or sun dappled earth in a forest generally have a positive feeling deep within our psyche?   Why do we have so much power over who and what we love and like if we put some attention and effort into it?   Could that be where a God  resides or makes his presence known?   That answer is not a science question. 

“The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.”

― Werner Heisenberg, creator of the theory of quantum mechanics.

​did he say that before or after he founded his meth empire?

I think Anomaly is really on to something. If I could sum it up in one word, it would be philosophy. Science needs to be backed up with a good understanding of the reason why things exist--why matter actually matters. Science only goes so far--to the particle level of things. You need philosophy (in the classical sense) to get to the truly profound. Then you'll have what many scientists don't and you will never be led into atheism as you get deeper into science. I think you should read the books recommended under the "man" section of StrangeNotions.com, especially Fides et Ratio.

And you might want to check out this great talk:

http://www.instituteofcatholicculture.org/wisdom-of-the-ancients-natural-reason-the-pursuit-of-truth/