An Old School Catholic Message Board

Windows 10

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Is Windows 10 worth getting?  ............. I am not computer proficient.

Thank you for all and any advice

I used linux for a loooooong time and switched over to Mac recently because I work in the educational field and got a discount.  Even though my computer is old for a computer (2006) it runs faster than my work Dell which is from 2013.

In general "upgrading" to a new OS is a bad idea until it's really proven.  So if you're asking if you should upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to 10 my answer would be no unless you really hate your current OS and are prepared to deal with some quirks.

PhuturePriest

I think this is the first time I have ever understood one of Dust's references.

Nihil Obstat

I am sure Windows 10 will be good, but I would not want to be an early adopter.

BarbTherese

Thank you all and the input.................. as a result..................  I'll stick with the devil I know. 

Barb:)

MarysLittleFlower

Is Windows 10 worth getting?  ............. I am not computer proficient.

Thank you for all and any advice

I don't like the Windows that was just before 10... 8? Forget the name. I don't have it anyway. I think I'll stick to the one I have for as long as I can :) I have Windows 7 and I like it. 

MarysLittleFlower

I also found out that new laptops don't have DVD players and Windows 10 apparently might need separate software to play DVDs. That's really inconvenient because I don't have the internet except on my phone, I don't play films online and I don't have a TV or DVD player. So if I want to watch a movie I need to use my laptop DVD player. and if it breaks I'll have nothing. I guess most people watch stuff online nowadays.... Am I the only one who prefers DVDs? I guess in a few years I'll be a dinosaur :D 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Not A Mallard

Am I the only one who prefers DVDs? I guess in a few years I'll be a dinosaur :D 

​Nope. I guess we're both dinosaurs.

HopefulHeart

On my Windows 8.1 laptop, I have to reserve the Windows 10 upgrade in order to do Windows updates. I'll wait a while before doing the actual upgrade, though. I like my current OS.

This reminds me that only ten years ago my family still used Windows 95. Talk about dinosaurs....

Nihil Obstat

I also found out that new laptops don't have DVD players and Windows 10 apparently might need separate software to play DVDs. That's really inconvenient because I don't have the internet except on my phone, I don't play films online and I don't have a TV or DVD player. So if I want to watch a movie I need to use my laptop DVD player. and if it breaks I'll have nothing. I guess most people watch stuff online nowadays.... Am I the only one who prefers DVDs? I guess in a few years I'll be a dinosaur :D 

I would not worry about that. There is a media program called VLC Player that is better than anything Microsoft has ever released. Use that instead. In terms of hardware just have an external DVD drive to go with it. A lot of laptops are saving space by not having one, but most people do not need it every day anyway.

I don't like the Windows that was just before 10... 8? Forget the name. I don't have it anyway. I think I'll stick to the one I have for as long as I can :) I have Windows 7 and I like it. 

​I loved Windows 7 and was very disillusioned with the world when we had to upgrade to 8, which is sooo rubbish in comparison!

Chromebook. It's the way of the future. 

Just kidding. But boy is it cheap for those of us who are broke grad students. It just fits with my ramen diet and air mattress.