An Old School Catholic Message Board

Were you raised Catholic or a convert?

Discerning13

Were you raised Catholic or a convert?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TheresaThoma

I'm a convert. I officially entered the church 4 years ago in April (Easter Vigil 2011). I had actively been practicing the faith (minus sacraments obviously) for about 2 years prior to my conversion.

My parents are not religious and my mom hates the Catholic Church. She does allow me to go to Mass when I am home though so I am grateful for that. I sing in the choir for Mass and a couple of years ago I got my mom to come to the musical prelude we did before the Christmas Midnight Mass. I was so happy that I was able to share even that little bit with her. Things have been difficult between us due to my discernment but I am hoping she will come around eventually.

I'm a convert. My father was agnostic when I was growing up (is now an unaffiliated Christian), and my mother was a New Age spiritualist (she still is). I almost entered the Catholic Church at age 12, but family issues got in the way. I converted to Judaism at 20, immigrated to Israel, and was baptized Lutheran in Jaffa. I converted to Catholicism three years ago on my return from Israel, in the US. 

BTW: We should make a video about THIS!

Edited by Gabriela

PhuturePriest

Cultural Catholic most of my life, and didn't take my faith very seriously whilst maintaining that God certainly exists (the fruits of Catholic homeschooling), and then when I was 14 I had a change of heart and began to take my faith very seriously. I've been taking it seriously ever since.

BarbTherese

Raised by a cradle Catholic Dad and a convert Mum - very Catholic family although Mum had some very weird ideas about women's role in the scheme of things (created by God to be wives and mothers - nuns and religious were running away from reality and their vocation - females did not need an education).  Educated until 15yrs of age by nuns - St Joseph Sisters of Mary MacKillop primary and Dominican nuns for college or high school.

I did some serious questioning along the way but never lost my Faith per se.  Even through the 20 years of so of serious bipolar episodes, my concepts re Catholicism certainly were skewed to say the least at times (psychosis) but I remained Catholic with Faith intact.

Convert. 

Raised Protestant, militant atheist by 16, Christian by 22, Roman Catholic a few months later. 

I was very new to Roman Catholicism and have 'enculturated' at an amazing pace in the past three years - despite the spiritual sloth from which I often suffer. Together with conversations and friendships with Catholics, the sacred liturgy, sacramentalia, and examples of the saints have 'woven' me into the 'fabric' of the Church. Deo gratias! 

MarysLittleFlower

My family are atheist but I found Christianity when I was 10. I'm just curious whether people on here have a similar story :)

That's so great! :) I was raised non Catholic too but I became Catholic in 2009. 

fides' Jack

Kind of neither; kind of both.  I was born and baptized into the Catholic Church, but was attending a schismatic community from age 5.  As such, in spirit I was indeed Catholic, even if certain sacraments were not valid (Confession & Confirmation).

Because of this experience, I struggle with some emotional problems and deep-seated traditionalist opinions that have been difficult for me to overcome since leaving (I'm still struggling with it).  Sometimes, it's very difficult for me to sort out when it's better to accept something in the Church out of humility or to strive for something I know is better out of righteous fervor.  A question I always seem to be asking myself is, "Are these thoughts and desires zeal or pride?"

It wasn't all bad, though; growing up I received catechetical instruction that's just about unheard of in this century (at least around here).  Because of this, my knowledge and understanding of morality and Church teaching were far above just about any other Catholic I met after leaving the schismatic community.  That had a two-fold affect: it helped me keep my beliefs as an adult but it also reinforced a level of spiritual pride that's been a major hindrance to holiness in my life.  

In that vein, Phatmass has been a good place to go sometimes, as many of the people here are more informed than I've ever been on certain issues, and that helps keep my pride in check.  On the other hand, it's also very common to come across people who say things and attempt to push their own misguided opinions.  I guess that's the internet for you...

MarysLittleFlower

Kind of neither; kind of both.  I was born and baptized into the Catholic Church, but was attending a schismatic community from age 5.  As such, in spirit I was indeed Catholic, even if certain sacraments were not valid (Confession & Confirmation).

Because of this experience, I struggle with some emotional problems and deep-seated traditionalist opinions that have been difficult for me to overcome since leaving (I'm still struggling with it).  Sometimes, it's very difficult for me to sort out when it's better to accept something in the Church out of humility or to strive for something I know is better out of righteous fervor.  A question I always seem to be asking myself is, "Are these thoughts and desires zeal or pride?"

It wasn't all bad, though; growing up I received catechetical instruction that's just about unheard of in this century (at least around here).  Because of this, my knowledge and understanding of morality and Church teaching were far above just about any other Catholic I met after leaving the schismatic community.  That had a two-fold affect: it helped me keep my beliefs as an adult but it also reinforced a level of spiritual pride that's been a major hindrance to holiness in my life.  

In that vein, Phatmass has been a good place to go sometimes, as many of the people here are more informed than I've ever been on certain issues, and that helps keep my pride in check.  On the other hand, it's also very common to come across people who say things and attempt to push their own misguided opinions.  I guess that's the internet for you...

I attend an FSSP parish and I found that to be very helpful for me :) I thought you might like that sort of parish too? They have a good balance of loving all the beautiful traditions, having deep catechesis where most people are very knowledgeable (always something to learn), and yet are loyal to Rome and don't reject Rome's decisions. Through this parish I've come to understand more how to view certain things. For example with indults we are not obligated to use them and we can prefer the traditional way because its still the normal way in the Church. However there's no schism. Also the priests talk about spirituality and how to grow, there's more emphasis on that from them than how "us trads are different". Not saying it wasn't like that in your old church! I just found this was a great balance for me in obedience and good standing with the Church but loving tradition... I got much peace from that. I'm a convert who struggled in more contemporary parishes. God bless you! :)

• 1 month later...
OnlySunshine

Revert.  I was born into a Catholic family but I didn't have any knowledge of the faith.  Left the Church when I was in my teens and didn't come back until I was 26 years old.  After playing in the pig croutons for too long, I had a conversion of heart, and my Father welcomed me back.  I owe my conversion to God's grace through the brown scapular and to the prayers religious and laity say for the conversion of sinners.  This was something which was made known to me one day during Eucharistic adoration and it was a powerful realization.  

Prayers do matter and they do change lives!

Your story sounds very similar to mine.  I was raised in the Catholic Church but left rather absentmindedly in my teens after suffering from depression, anxiety, and PTSD.  I didn't really care to attend Church like a good Catholic and definitely never went to Confession or even knew what Adoration was.  My mom saw how lost I was and encouraged me to attend a Young Adult retreat to gain some friends and, hopefully, come back to the Church.  I reluctantly went (she offered to pay) and almost left on the first night since I got lost 3 times.  The first night scared me and I was anxious like crazy (I felt darkness pursuing me; I think the devil wasn't too happy about where I was).  Something stopped me, though, and told me to go find a religious.  I asked one of the directors and she brought out Sr. Mary Gabriel from the Sisters of Life.  She prayed over me and blessed me with Holy Water.  I have never felt such peace in my life after that.  I stayed the entire weekend and received SO many graces.  I decided to come back to the Church and researched like crazy what the Church teaches.  Interestingly enough, we all received green scapulars (for conversion) before we left from our team.  There is much more to this story but I have to leave for school very soon.  I've been back in the Church since Dec. 2007 (I came back when I was 24).

Convert.  I was raised Methodist.  My parents did not go to church; I went with my grandparents.  For some reason my grandmother gave me a keychair with a picture of Mary on it and it started a fascination with Catholicism.  I converted while I was in graduate school studying English.

I was baptised eastern-rite catholic but no raised anything. converted to fundamentalist protestantism at 15. converted to catholicism in late 90s.

I was raised Catholic.  Baptized as an almost 2 year old when my mom entered the Church.  Dad was raised Catholic but had left the faith.  When I was around 5 years old he came back to the Church and our family always went to Mass on Sundays.  I didnt care about my faith at all until I was in high school.  I attended a Youth 2000 retreat with Fr. Bob and Fr. Stan of the CFR's, met other teenagers who loved Jesus and were actually cool people, loved Eucharistic Adoration, etc.  It was a such a powerful experience for me and the first time I was ever conscious/okay with/aware of the fact that I encountered God and He was doing something in my heart. 

Sometime after that I had a very good family friend who went off to Steubenville and came back on fire with the love of God and he started a youth group to help form us during his summer and winter breaks.  There have been a few hiccoughs along the way for sure...but for the most part, God, in His Tender Mercy has made me desire Him and has not let me stray for too long ever since that time.  He is always calling me back to Himself and drawing me deeper...even when I have tried with all my might to run from Him and His love.  He is so very good and merciful!

Raised Baptist; baptised into the Church two years after joining Phatmass.  I followed an ex here (she married someone else, a really cool guy), but I'd say that finding Christ in the Eucharist is more than enough consolation. :) PM actually tricked me into praying a novena for a special intention that turned out to be for me to go to RCIA/convert. :P

veritasluxmea

I can't be the only one who's not particularly interested if someone was/wasn't raised in the Faith but keeps reading each response anyway

PM actually tricked me into praying a novena for a special intention that turned out to be for me to go to RCIA/convert. :P

That is really cool.