An Old School Catholic Message Board

Virtual Tour of Genesee Trappist Abbey

Luigi

The Trappist monks in Genesee, NY have posted nine panoramic photos of their monastery. They said in their weekly update that visitors often want to tour the monastery, but they don't allow that because it would disrupt the quiet, regularity, etc. So this is their way of showing the inside to the world. 

Cistercian architecture is know for its combination of simplicity, practicality, and and noble beauty. I think this is a good example of all that, too. 

http://www.sojournerweb.com/abbey-tour/TourWeaver_abbey.html 

HopefulHeart

Very nice! I just visited the abbey a couple of weeks ago, but of course I wasn't able to see all of the rooms in this virtual tour. My family likes the tasty Monks' Bread. :)

I have been here many times for Mass and a couple times for retreats.  It's lovely.  Peaceful and quiet, and the monks are very non judgmental and helpful when you are wrestling with a spiritual challenge.  I highly recommend it and like you, Hopefulheart, I love their bread and order it regularly online. 

Their bread is sold in all our local supermarkets, and it is great!  However, I have never visited. A friend of mine (a retired priest) and I are planning to go this summer, and to attend Sunday Mass.

If you are interested in this community, I highly recommend the book by the priest/theologian Henri Nouwen, who spent some time there, called "Genesee Diary." It is a lovely book (and I really like all of his writing).

puellapaschalis

Plain and simple, with a good chunky library. I approve.

Echoing this. Not my first preference for a library, but very very good. Noice.