An Old School Catholic Message Board

Little Sisters of Jesus

Journeywithchrist

Journeywithchrist

Hello VS! 

I was wondering if anyone has any experience discerning or living with the little sisters of jesus? Or knows of anyone who entered with them? I'm interested in knowing how they're doing for vocations and also about the life of the sisters. I actually visited them a few years ago but I was very shy and didn't manage to ask many questions. 

Thank you!

They follow the spirituality of Charles de Foucauld, a very simple, hidden life, like Jesus in Nazareth.

So usually they live with 2-5 in a house, according to the living situation of the poor.

So in one country that means a small apartment in a not so good neighbourhood on the outskirts of the city,

in other country's it means a tent, or hut or whatever.

I don't know them personally, but maybe Beatitude and Nada can tell you more about them?

I did, but a very long time ago, and I knew them well at a later stage too, although I have not had much contact in recent years. I also have a friend who was with them for years and left.

I have the greatest respect for them, and resonate with much of their focus, or at least I did then. But it is a very demanding life of real poverty and I think that for many people the lack of personal space is the greatest challenge. It's one thing sharing a room with others if you're in rural area and can get out, but another thing in a city with constant noise...

But I think that Beatitude would be a better source of current information.

Sister Leticia

You may already know this, but the sisters and brothers do the sort of low-paid, humble, often menial work the people around them do, eg in factories or shops, or as cleaners. This is regardless of whatever qualifications or experience someone might already have. The aim is to live alongside the poor, in solidarity with them, rather than ministering to them. So they don't teach in inner city schools or work as social workers - any help they give is that of good neighbours with whatever resources they have. They do study theology as part of their formation, but they don't use it overtly in their ministry (I was told all this by a Little Brother who I studied theology with)

So, what with the menial work, lack of space and material poverty, theirs is certainly a very demanding path.

It might also be good to add that they see themselves as "contemplatives in the midst of the world," rather than as active sisters. I remember some Little Sisters I knew who were quite hurt when their bishop referred to the founding of a certain monastery of nuns as the "first contemplative sisters in the diocese," despite the Little Sisters having been in it for ages. They are certainly not enclosed, but they view themselves as fundamentally contemplative.

And while they're not exactly monastic either, Brother Charles was a Trappist for six years, so there is some connection there - and to the general desert tradition - and last I knew the Little Sisters' Generalate was on the property of the Trappist Tre Fontane monastery in Rome.

They also have quite a strong emphasis on Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, which I suppose reflects the era in which they were founded.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of this thread when I came across this short video. I think it gives quite a good overview of what the Little Sisters are about.

I discerned with them. We eventually realised it would not be possible for me to live that life because of my disabilities (although the sisters were very open and welcoming to me - they don't dismiss people with health conditions out of hand, but work with them to see if it would be possible). They are a beautiful community with a spirituality and charism that are sorely needed - ministering to people through simple companionship and presence. One of the Little Sisters, after telling me of the different types of work she's been involved in over the years (factory work, preparing food for homeless people, being a care assistant for elderly people, the formation of novices), said to me, "In the end it's not the work that matters, but the friendship with the people you're with."

Their spirituality has a strong focus on the Incarnation, which means that the sisters devote a lot of time to Adoration - one of them told me that it is impossible to appreciate the presence of Christ in your neighbour without time in prayer before Christ in the Eucharist. Their life is very friendly, very warm - I've rarely laughed so much as at supper with the Little Sisters! - but as others have said, it's challenging. From what I can see, they are doing well for vocations, and they seem to produce a lot of interest in people who are searching.

I appreciate the Little Sisters of Jesus very much and know quite a bunch of them.

Which region are you from? They are having three novitiates this year (one in Asia, one in Africa and one in France (for Europe, but there are also 2-3 non-europeens in it).

Beatitude brings their spirituality quite to the point. In the sisters I know personally, I admire their down-to-earth style but totally contemplative as well - they are really contemplatives in the midst of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
Journeywithchrist

Thank you all for your responses (I am the laziest person in the world and am only getting round to replying now :wacko:)

I have a desire to live in poverty and this is what first attracted me to the sisters, but after having worked full-time in the kind of job that the little sisters do (AND HATING IT) I was very reluctant to continue to be interested in them. But your responses have inspired me to contact them and I am going to visit the sisters that I know next month! I am trying to keep an open mind and listen to God rather than myself!

@juchu ; I am in the UK; I live in England most of the time but I'm from Northern Ireland (the sisters that I'm visiting are in Northern Ireland). 

Thank you all for your responses (I am the laziest person in the world and am only getting round to replying now :wacko:)

I have a desire to live in poverty and this is what first attracted me to the sisters, but after having worked full-time in the kind of job that the little sisters do (AND HATING IT) I was very reluctant to continue to be interested in them. But your responses have inspired me to contact them and I am going to visit the sisters that I know next month! I am trying to keep an open mind and listen to God rather than myself!

@juchu ; I am in the UK; I live in England most of the time but I'm from Northern Ireland (the sisters that I'm visiting are in Northern Ireland). 

When I met them for the first time, aged nineteen, I also had an aversion to the type of work they do. I also had a very narrow idea of nuns and wanted the traditional convent with the flowing habit. Gradually my ideas altered and I learned to value their ordinary work as something far out of the ordinary.

If it's any reassurance, the Little Sisters are found in such a variety of places and do such a variety of things that it's unlikely that you would find every single one of your work assignments to be horrible. You might have a hard time in some assignments, but this is true for any sister in any community - no one is so lucky as to adore every single minute of what they do. God sends us challenges. There is also a remarkable depth to the LSJs' work. In Northern Ireland, for instance, I know they have contributed to Catholic-Protestant reconciliation simply through their everyday life - which may not seem very spectacular, but is the level on which positive changes are easiest to make. Enjoy your visit to them and God bless you in your discernment. I pray He leads you to the right place. :)

Sister Leticia

It's good to know our limitations. If you haven't already, it might be helpful to reflect on what exactly you hated about the work you did. Was it the way you were treated? - maybe exploited, in poor conditions or spoken to rudely, as people working as cleaners and factory hands often are? Was it anger at the sheer injustice? Or was it the monotony and feeling your brain had died? These are things the sisters will have faced themselves, and I'm sure you could have helpful conversations with them about how they live with this in the light of their call and spirituality, and bring it into their prayer and relationship with God.

If you hated the work for physical reasons that's something else to look at - for example if your back ached after standing for a long time or heavy lifting. I don't know what the sisters' health requirements are, but it might simply be the case of needing to be realistic about what work you can and can't do. (eg shop work yes, factory or care work no)

Blessings on your discernment and your forthcoming visit!

Journeywithchrist

Just thought I would share a quick update as I went to visit the Sisters on Thursday!

I don't want to share their personal details on the internet (maybe some of you already know but I just don't want to put things out there in a public forum that they may not want me to) but basically some pretty bad things have happened to the community since I last visited them. Please pray for them. They are so trusting in the Lord and told me how grateful they are that they have been so well looked after by their neighbours through all their hardships. People love them so much; we met a few people they knew as we were walking through town and they all stopped to hug the Sisters and to ask how they were. They seem to know everyone! 

I managed to ask a lot more questions this time! I feel like I understand their life a lot better now, and few things that were bothering me have been resolved. I asked them how a Sister decides what work she will do and if they only do low level work; they take whatever work they can get and try to work only low level jobs so they can be among the poor. To them the work is meaningless without God. They have adoration every day in their chapel (their neighbours join them once a week I think) and pray whenever they can at work. 

I love the Little Sisters so much and will hopefully get in touch with the Sisters in London once I am back in England. I wouldn't say I feel called to them but certainly I feel drawn towards them and am very interested in their life, so who knows! I feel that the next step in my discernment is to visit a Carmel as I have felt very drawn towards the Carmelites for years. In any case I cannot even begin to think about entering any community for a while yet as I still have two years left at university. 

I'm sorry this isn't longer and I hope it makes sense; I am SO tired right now! If anyone has any questions please let me know!

They have a lovely little community in London. You may even run into me there. :) I drop by from time to time.

In addition to the enclosed Carmelite monasteries in the UK, there is also an active community, the Corpus Christi Carmelites, and a non-enclosed contemplative community who give retreats and help people discern their vocations, the Community of Our Lady of Walsingham. You may already know them both, but I thought I would mention them just in case you don't.

Edited by beatitude
To correct the links

NadaTeTurbe

It's funny, because I went to meet the Little Sisters of Jesus today, and we spoke about the same things, mainly about how they pick a job, how they live it, how they try to pick simple jobs that every body have, so they can be close to the poorest and the simplest, and how they try to never be in a position of management, etc... They gave me a book about Little Sister Madeleine life, by a german girl, do you know it maybe ? And then we went to the chapel, to adore, and they explained to me why they have a statue of Mary with the little Jesus. I can't wait to read Sister Madeleine life, and I hope, before the end of the year, I can read something written by sister Madeleine. 

I hope you stay in touch with them and keep us updated ! We will pray for your community of Little Sisters !