An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Transcriptionist Job?

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I am getting ready to complete my internship in the Fall and I'm leaving my job tomorrow as an office assistant since the job is too far away and I was only working 10 hours a week.  I'm looking into opportunities where I can work from home as an entry-level medical transcriptionist.  I would even consider other work-from-home jobs or work-when-you-want-to jobs.  The hours MUST be flexible because I will be at my internship M-F 8-5 for 15 weeks in order to complete 650 hours.  I need income for gas and bills, but I can't work a regular job.  I have done some research online but most of the opportunities I have found either require you to pay for a medical transcription course for over $500 or you must have experience.  I have health care experience, including medical terminology, and I know how to type 65 wpm.

Does anyone have any experience as a medical transcriptionist and knows a good company where you aren't required to pay for training?  Thanks!

AccountDeleted

@nunsense didn't you do this?

No, I do transcription typing for investigator interviews of insurance claims (I work for the investigation company, not the insurance companies). I know medical terminology from when I was a nurse and I looked into doing casual transcription in the States when I was there but the pay rate was so low compared with Australia that I decided to stick with my Australian employer even while overseas! Besides, I enjoy the stories I hear from the interviews. I worked all over the world for them - they would have me download the audio files from their website, I would transcribe them into Word and then email them back as an attachment, along with an invoice, and they paid me, directly into my Australian bank account, which I accessed via ATMs all over the world. The per audio minute rate in the US was just too low for me. It's also casual work so one can't be guaranteed a certain amount of income (they have busy times and quiet times depending on insurance claims), but it is something I can do anywhere, and I like being able to do it from home.

MM, I hope you find something that works as well for you as mine has for me. It is a quiet time for me right now in terms of work, but whenever I really need a little extra income, God seems to send me something. This week it was my tax refund (Australia's tax year is from Jul 1st to June 30th). I filed online last week in minutes (because I don't have a lot of assets or income) and this week the deposit was in my bank account! Whenever there is a need, I find that there is a response as well - not always in the way we hope or expect, but something happens to help out. Hang in there, something is bound to turn up for you.

Totally Franciscan

Mater, I am a retired medical transcriptionist.  I was lucky enough to find a company that didn't require a course be taken or have experience.  I pretty much learned on the job.  However, I think that was just good luck for me.  Most companies want you to have experience and your own equipment.  Unfortunately, pay in the USA for at home transcriptionists is very low, as nunsense posted.  There are no benefits either.   Unfortunately, I don't know of any companies that I could recommend.  It seems that that if you know medical terminology and can type fast, there would be someone interested in hiring you.  I wish you all the best in finding work in this field.

Lilllabettt

Maybe nunsense and Totally Franciscan, you could pm Mater information about what company you worked for.

Cuz you know, nunsense, if they let you do it overseas, they may be OK with Mater doing it overseas.TF, if your old company let you do it without experience, maybe they would be OK with Mater doing it w/o experience.

Even if there are no openings or they can't accommodate her, she can talk to them and get information, maybe a lead, maybe a contact.

Even if you don't have a job to hand someone you can help them network.

AccountDeleted

Maybe nunsense and Totally Franciscan, you could pm Mater information about what company you worked for.

Cuz you know, nunsense, if they let you do it overseas, they may be OK with Mater doing it overseas.TF, if your old company let you do it without experience, maybe they would be OK with Mater doing it w/o experience.

Even if there are no openings or they can't accommodate her, she can talk to them and get information, maybe a lead, maybe a contact.

Even if you don't have a job to hand someone you can help them network.

Might sound like a good idea for me to give info to MM about my company, Lil, but really, nothing I have to say applies to her in her situation. My company would NOT hire someone from overseas. I was living here when I had the interview and test (to see if I could do the work) and filled out the confidentiality forms etc. so continuing to work for them while travelling was something they accepted. They don't hire over the Internet, even though the work is done that way.

She would have to live here to attend an interview and take a test, she would have to have an Australian bank account  for them to pay into, AND she would have to understand the Australian accent as well as Australian English being spoken in a variety of different foreign accents (We have migrants from all over the world). 'G'day, mate.' isn't the only Australian slang we have, and even a native English speaker can sound strange with the variety of accents we have here (think regional USA: New York, mid-West, Southern, etc - and all the varieties of American accents there are). Then there are place names and descriptions that only a person who has lived here a long time would understand or know how to spell (plus we use the UK spelling of most words). Since the documents I type are used for legal purposes (often contested court cases if the insurance company rejects the claim), the transcriptionist has to be really accurate - that means understanding what people say during the interview and reporting it correctly.

So, I'm sorry, but I really don't have any practical help for MM at all. My prayers will certainly be with her, but unless she wants to come live here for awhile, learn the lingo, get a bank account and apply with the company in person - well, I can't really offer any networking. opportunities.

My advice, MM, is just google medical transcription jobs online and then start phoning companies to see what is required and if they would consider you. The more places you contact, the better chance of finding something. Leg work, that's what it might take. You could also phone around a few hospitals in your area and see if they are hiring. My former landlady got her job as a medical transcriptionist by contacting the Royal Melbourne Hospital and telling them she wanted a job. They happened to be looking for people at the time and she had a job within days! Just don't give up.

There are general customer service jobs you can do at home - call center things where as long as you work a certain number of hours it's very flexible. However you need a landline and high speed internet. 

OnlySunshine

Thank you all for your posts and help!  Today was my last day at work, which was really difficult to leave, but it's for a good purpose and I'm really excited to begin my internship.  :)

As for finding flexible PRN work, I remembered that I used to do product demonstrations on the weekend for 2 companies.  1 company no longer does events where I live and the other company was bought out and I can't find the new website.  I am looking for other opportunities.  I would really like to work from home, though, since weekends are the only time I'll have to decompress.  I previously completed an application for a customer service job with Alpine Access which is like what Maggyie was describing but I don't have a landline that I could use strictly for business purposes.

I guess I'm on the hunt!  Hopefully, I'll find something soon.  Medical transcription seems to be pretty slim these days since organizations have moved over to EMRs.  There's MANY threads on indeed.com about people wanting entry-level work but they cannot find any opportunities, so maybe that's not the best avenue to pursue.  Regardless, there has to be something out there and I'm not giving up - even if it's not my dream job!  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Credo in Deum

Have you tried working for a travel agency?  A lot of them offer telecommuting positions.  Some may require a period of in office time before allowing you to telecommute.

OnlySunshine

Have you tried working for a travel agency?  A lot of them offer telecommuting positions.  Some may require a period of in office time before allowing you to telecommute.

I'll check into it.   :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

One of my neighbours in Florida did transcription at home. She had cancer. I don't remember which kind, but it was treatable but her treatments lasted for years. She once confided to me that she made more money in her second job. That was for a phone sex company. She'd lost her hair and only weighed about 100 pounds, and said that besides the money which was paying for her treatments she liked the attention.