An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cincinnati Police Officer Indicted On Murder

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell said he's seen the unreleased footage from a University of Cincinnati officer's body camera during last week's fatal shooting and "it's not good."

"The video is not good," Blackwell said. "I think the city manager has said that also publicly. I'll leave it there."

Lilllabettt

Are you watching CNN this afternoon?

They amplified the audio. The analyst pointed out that you can hear the guy turn on the car and press on the accelerator while he has the cop hanging inside his window.

Then the cop shoots the guy. The car takes off and the cop is thrown backwards. Clearly the car was only stopped because the guy hadn't yet chosen to take his foot off the brake. Maybe the cop should have waited for that. Get dragged a few hundred feet and then shoot the guy.

It's never as cut-and-dried as the lynch mob believes. 

I watched the video multiple times. It appears to me he is "never hanging inside the window" I don't see that at all. Also why in the heck did the officer open the door? Why? I saw the guy start the car and it's questionable when exactly he takes off. But it doesn't appear the officer is being dragged.

Just watched it again how do you come to the conclusion the cop is hanging inside the window? The Window is completely down. Where is he hanging on to? It seems pretty clear from the video that he shoots him as soon as he starts the car. 

Have you even watched the video? It's right here for you to watch. The full version.

Lilllabettt

Josh,

After long enough on the job, cops can sense things.

This cop knew this guy was driving on a suspended license. He could tell by the way the guy was answering his questions. Cops can tell when people lie, and often what they are lying about. People lie to them all day long.

The cop sensed the guy was about to try and evade arrest. That is why the cop opened the door, and that is why the cop reached through the window around the steering column. He could tell the guy was about to take off even before the engine started. The cop is thrown backwards when the car accelerates because he has some portion of his body inside the car. He was thrown backwards when the acceleration forced him free.

He should not have reached into the car to try and stop this guy from getting away.

But you have to realize that it is not natural for a police officer to let the bad guys go, or retreat from trouble. Firefighters call police "blue canaries," because they frequently run into burning buildings despite the fact that they are not firefighters. It is a dumb thing to do, but it takes time and the wisdom of experience for police to learn to resist the urge to run towards trouble or let bad guys go when the cost is too high.

I have no doubt the cop thought he was about to be dragged or run over. I have heard people poo-poo this as an illegitimate fear because "cars do not go sideways." Well, I have been a nanny long enough to know that kids are easily run over when they are standing too close to the driver side window of a car - let alone inside of it.

It is very likely it never occurred to this cop that he could get away simply by letting go. When cops are in trouble they do not think about how they can "get away." There is tremendous psychological inertia to overcome before a police officer can include "letting the bad guys go" among the acceptable outcomes to consider when making a split second decision.

I have seen the video.  I have software that lets me watch it frame by frame. 3 minutes is about an hour going frame by frame.

I think he made a stupid mistake. Manslaughter maybe. I don't think he murdered this guy.

Edited by Lilllabettt

Thanks for your reply. To me when I watch it appears he shoots him before the car even takes off. If he was being dragged then shot him it would be different. I just don't see it. Anyhow thanks for your point of view. God bless.

Watched it again. It looks like he shoots him as soon as the car starts.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Though the guy was being dishonest and shouldn't have lied he obviously got scared that the police officer was going to intimidate him because you couldnt half tell that the black guy was 100% sure he was pulled over for no reason and that this police officer was suspicious and perhaps a kkk fake in a fake uniform and fake police car, and dont say that doesnt happen coz its possible and perhaps probable, that was actually disgusting to shoot a fleeing suspect, he neither drew a weapon nore assaulted the police officer. That is Murder in the 1st degree, unless when he drew the gun which i'm unsure he had the right to but even if he did and he accidently pulled the trigger when the window knocked his arm. It could all just be a terrible accident.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think the shot was hasty, but I've never been a cop and so I'll wait for a court to hear all the evidence and then let them decide rather than play jury myself on the basis of a 3-minute video.

It's pretty tough to determine what happened from that video. But you do see that the guy pulled his door shut when the cop tried to open it, and then started his engine. That doesn't end well too often . . .

I don't understand how a black man in the USA can think that he is going to resist arrest and not get shot. I see those flashing lights behind me? It's pull over. Engine off. Radio off. Windows down. Hands STAY on the steering wheel and commence my best Stephen from Django  impersonation . . . lot's of "Yasssuh's" and timid-looking facial expressions. . .

Yeah you're right. There was this video in my news feed last week of this white dude going crazy because he got a speeding ticket. He's cussing the officer out and when the officer goes to give him the ticket he violently rips it out of his hand. The video is very comical and the officer handles it as well as he possibly could. He let's the guy go off and never even becomes defensive. You can't help but think though if that was a black guy who violently yanked the ticket from the officer then pushed his hand away he would of got dragged out the car and beaten. Or shot. 

I dunno I am having some second thoughts about this that first video. It pretty much looks like he shot him because he was attempting to get away. This part about him getting dragged? It seems like BS. You don't see any evidence of dragging in the video. And I am not sure what there was in the car that could have dragged him.  The officer stuck his left hand in the car. What did it get caught in? The seat belt? The guy's shirt? You don't see any evidence of that in the video.  And that is probably why he got fired and is being put on trial for murder. I think there is enough evidence there to justify that . . .

It seems like the officer had a suspect who was attempting to resist arrest. The officer got mad and shot him. These things are possible . . .

Edited by Peace