An Old School Catholic Message Board

We've Gone Public!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

I get to see my parents on Saturday! They're coming for our jubilee celebration (three of my sisters are celebrating 25 years in our congregation) and my formation director has said I can spend the whole afternoon with them! I haven't seen my parents since July. So excited to be with them!

Spem in alium
On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:44 AM, Spem in alium said:

One resident I'm particularly friendly with is dying. I met him accidentally last year (he used to live next to a resident I visit often, and one day we just happened to get talking) and have visited him every week I've worked there ever since. I saw him a few days ago and he was awake but didn't communicate besides indicating he wanted water. His family was with them, so I met them and assured them of my prayer. His son mentioned to me that on Friday he said he was ready to go, and since then he's deteriorated. The power of the human will is just amazing.

My friend died last Thursday at midday (I visited him on Wednesday). His funeral is tomorrow. Please pray for him and his family. It feels so natural to think of the residents I visit as "friends"; they are kind enough to share themselves with me, and I try to do the same when I can. Sometimes they call me friend. It's a privilege, truly.

Spem in alium

Just under an hour to go until the start of our Jubilee celebrations (Mass with our bishop, and then a reception for our sisters). I am in charge of a few things (slides, reading giving the introduction at Mass, reading a prayer and welcoming our guests). Please pray for us!

Spem in alium

Jubilee was a hit. It was so heartwarming for me to see my sisters so happy and with their friends. And so reaffirming for me in several ways. I feel myself in the right place, I feel God's peace in my heart.

Spem in alium

I was doing some study and heard my 75-year-old sister say outside my window (not in English): "Wait until 5pm, I'll bring ham". It took me a while to work out to whom she was speaking until I realised she was talking to the lizards on our verandah.

Spem in alium

I asked for prayers a while ago because I was having thesis trouble. Over the last few days, my supervisor has sent me three of my six thesis chapters which I'm ploughing through (thank you for your prayers!). I now feel well on track to submit my thesis in 10 days (not my final submission, but the beginning of a three-month process). I'm very tired but feeling confident, and my supervisors seem to be happy also. Honestly couldn't do it without prayer or the support of my sisters & family.

Spem in alium

All Souls' Day. After a little chat this evening, my formator asked me if I could go outside with her for about ten minutes. She took me to the memorial garden behind our chapel and we prayed for the people remembered there, and for our own families. It was beautiful.

Spem in alium

This week was super disappointing with thesis stuff. Basically, people promised things and didn't deliver, which I find upsetting generally but especially this close to my deadline (5 days to go). Some might say that I should have been prepared for that, given the track record of the people I'm dealing with, but I guess I just wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. At any rate, it's looking less likely I'll submit my thesis on time, which of course has consequences for my graduation and my novitiate. Please keep up the prayers, pham.

I will step up the prayers, Spem.  And, if I've never said so before....I do so appreciate your sharing of your ongoing formation story,  Even though I'll probably never meet you this side of heaven, I feel as if I know you.  Thanks for being so open and sharing .

Spem in alium
On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Francis Clare said:

I will step up the prayers, Spem.  And, if I've never said so before....I do so appreciate your sharing of your ongoing formation story,  Even though I'll probably never meet you this side of heaven, I feel as if I know you.  Thanks for being so open and sharing .

FC, thank you for your kind and warm words. I honestly think it's important to share even the little ordinary things of life, because they show us what is true :) It is nice to know that what I share has meant something. God bless you always!

Thank you everyone for your prayers. I almost can't believe it myself, but things look good for me to submit on Thursday. My supervisors have been reading a lot and keeping in contact, so I feel much more reassured -- and excited! 

I also found out today that my current formation director will be my novice mistress as well, if I apply and am accepted to the novitiate. We often joke about how tired we are of each other (she has been guiding me for almost two years) but I'm honestly overjoyed. I truly couldn't ask for a better person to guide me. God has bestowed upon me much grace through her.

Spem in alium

Such a nice moment today. I was booking my psychological test, which I need to take as part of my application to the novitiate, and when I introduced myself as "Sr X" the psychologist asked me if I was wanting to take the test because I'm entering the novitiate. Turns out she's done tests for seminarians and other novices along the way. It was a great surprise! :) 

The first part of my test is booked for December 2. Please pray for me.

Prayers, of course!  I was wondering about your application as you sounded a bit iffy in one of your previous posts.  I'm glad you've made your decision and have found a psychologist familiar with exams for religious.  Full steam ahead :))